Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCLinuxOS Vs Mint/Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

PCLinuxOS Vs Mint/Ubuntu

Well I just booted up the PC Linux OS Live CD and am very impressed. I am more a Gnome man myself but they did a good job with KDE. Also they have easy tools and I got my wireless setup without any terminal hastle, that has never happened with any distro before. Any idea how PCLinuxOS compares to Ubuntu and Mint? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: PCLinuxOS Vs Mint/Ubuntu

I use both PCLOS and Ubuntu. and to be honest I like them both the same pretty much. but for KDE PCLOS by far, its fast, easy and just awesome. pclos is the easiest distro I have used..love it. and ubuntu i like gnome..gnome is nice,fast and simple..I like that.

Beans

For me I think PCLOS is much more solid then Feisty, I have had all kinds of issues with Feisty before I made the switch.
    The only thing PCLOS lacks is packages, but overall I think its better then Feisty
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

PCLinuxOS seems to run a little quicker/better than Ubuntu on a lower spec computer. I have never tried Xubuntu though so I can't say how it stacks up to that flavor of Ubuntu . Biggest plus for me is the easy wireless set up. I never have been able to get my wireless working with any Ubuntu Distro and with Feisty you have to download ndiswrapper to get the wireless working... it should have been included with the install. With PCLinuxOS I had my wireless set up in less than 5 minutes .
    Dissing other peoples choice of OS is unproductive. Use what works best for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I messed up my Linux Mint install so figured I'd try pclos and as before the configuration tools were very easy to use but had some problems. For one there was no way I could find a network monitor or chooser tool to show up in the toolbar. Also it took a few tries to get the start Menu to stay up, otherwise it would disapear a few seconds after i opened it. Also Mint found my valume buttons and all the special keys on my laptop off the bat whereas PCLos didnt even find the volume buttons. Basically Linux Mint is the best I have found, better than even feisty which it is based off of. Mint is preconfigured to work with so many things that most Distros don't include. And it does have some nice tools included too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh and forgot to mention Wirelss. In Mint it still isn't as improved as in PCLos but it does have a GUI version of ndiswrapper so once you use that on the .inf file all that is left is to blacklist the default driver Linux loads which takes maybe a minute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I really liked PCLinuxOS, but I don't like KDE. That was my only gripe. They were talking about trying to get a fully functional Gnome desktop going. I might try it again when they do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i liked mandrake to pclinuxOS for a time, but i love the ubuntu support and comunity.. if i where new to linux. i would use mint, and join the ubuntu comunity. get the best of of both.
    Last edited by johnny4north; June 13th, 2007 at 08:50 PM.

Beans

Mint is the best of both worlds. Gnome for me looks beautiful to me and simple to use. Kde sometimes offers more customization features. Mint is my new favorite. Everything just works, but works beautifully.
    PCLOS deserves its respect though. It is as good to me as Ubuntu or Mint. It is great for an rpm-based distro, and I cannot knock it down. It worked great and consistently for me. But so did Mint Cassandra and previous versions.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

I've jumped around,back and forth with distro after distro and just yesterday switched back to pclos.
    I had feisty on here and liked it then played with sidux a few days and loved it but it takes a little more
    time to learn than I can afford right now. I will get back to sidux at a later date, but for now I have to say
    pclos is my pick of any distro. IMHO, I could sit a person down at my system with no prior linux knowledge
    and in a few steps have them using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast