Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

Beans

Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

It makes you look immature.

I've seen:
    Micro$oft ,Micro$$oft, etc... (or in regular expression form: Micro$+oft)
    Microsucks
    Micro****
    WinDOZE
    WinBLOWS
    and even WinSUCKS, which doesn't even sound like Windows.

It's usually from Mac users, but occasionally I see it from Linux users as well. I think this is counter-productive for two reasons.

First, it makes you, and by extension Linux users look immature. Changing a proper noun to carry an insult looks immature unless it's used in a witty and original way. I want to stress the word "original." If you're at a party and someone tells a clever joke, you wouldn't stand up and repeat that joke, would you? So if people all over the internet are spelling "Windows" "Winblows", you spelling it "Winblows" does not make you look clever, it just shows that you can follow a crowd.

Just say it out loud: "I don't use WinBLOWS, I use Linux." That sounds like something a little kid would say, not and adult.

Second, it makes it look like we use Linux because we hate Microsoft, which I hope isn't true. When I tell people about Linux, I hardly ever mention Windows, I just focus on the positive aspects of Linux. I think this is a serious problem. I've met many people, including my Dad, who thought people used Linux because they hate Microsoft and want to be different. We should show that Linux is not just some alternative for disgruntled Windows users, but a good operating system on it's own.
    Last edited by Sp4cedOut; June 12th, 2007 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

You forgot: Microshaft

Beans

Re: Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

It makes me chuckle when people make fun of Microsoft, whether deliberately or by using bastardized versions of its corporate monikers. Apparently I'm wrong and immature.

Beans

Agree with you 100% Sp4cedOut.

Having fun is one thing. Thinking that typing M$ is "funny" is another. If that's funny, I suppose Linux users need to find better examples of humor.

It's been done to DEATH. Haven't we got any other methods of having a go at Microsoft?

Beans

(joking)

Beans

Two very well-stated points.

I don't believe that most folks do hate Microsoft, however. They simple are saying what they believe will make others accept them. It is a way to get attention.

While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right, read what some of the websites of Windows users have to say about Linux. They are certainly no better or more mature than those who curse Microsoft.

I for one, use Feisty and love it. I do, however, have XP Pro on my main drive. For the near future, I will continue to use XP until it is no longer supported. Then, Ubuntu will become my primary OS. I can't see bullding a new computer just to keep up with the Joneses.
    Signature: DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D (slot 939)
    AMD64 X2 4800+ (2.71 GHz) - OCZ 5002048XTC 2GB (2.5,3,3,7)
    XFX 4870 XXX 1GB [775/950] - SyncMaster 226BW-
    Hitachi 80 GB SATAll 3.0 - 2ea. - WinXP Pro SP3/Karmic Koala 9.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by old_geekster View Post
    While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right ...
    No, but three lefts do.

Beans

I can't see bullding a new computer just to keep up with the Joneses.
    If by Joneses you me the rest of the WORLD, then that's your problem.

I however will continue to have a partition for Windows so that I can view the documents/media that cannot be properly read in Linux, run the software necessary to connect my Nokia 6060 (OOPS!), and so on. Keeping yourself compatible with the vast majority of computer systems is still very important.

Beans

While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right, read what some of the websites of Windows users have to say about Linux. They are certainly no better or more mature than those who curse Microsoft.
    First of all, thank you.

In my experience, Linux users tend to be more mature and knowledgeable when operating systems arguments start online.

But I also know that there is immaturity on all sides of the debate, my goal is to get more people on my side to rise above it and give others are more positive view of Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have to agree 100% with both points and add that as Linux users we just need to be better than those that either insult, windows or Linux, instead of attacking other OS we can learn them as well, while we help the growth of Linux in the desktop. At least that's what I am planing to do on my end and have been doing for the last several years. My children for example can use, troubleshoot, install, repair, and teach others how to use Windows, OS X, OS 9, Fedora, and Ubuntu. My elder son has three computers, one Mac Mini, and two HP Pavilions (one has multiple boot Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Fedora and the other just Ubuntu). I also have multiple computers running several OS's from Windows 2000 to OS X, yet I prefer Ubuntu as my main desktop OS.

just my two cents

| Better to be a geek than an idiot! | Ubuntu user num # 15259 | Linux user # 422921 |

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast