Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto: Dual boot very easy file sharing

Beans

Re: Howto: Dual boot very easy file sharing

What?

So I have a XP partition, download Ext2lFS_1_10c.exe and install it.
    have a ext3 partition with Ubuntu 7.10 (comes with ntfs-3g already).
    Have a swap partition and a "' home" partition.

Windows can read/write from both ext3 partitions and Ubuntu will read/write to XP partition.

If this is correct, then I could read data from all but swap partitions?..
    Life is to enjoyed...not endured. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong...or need to be doing something else.
    Toshiba Satellite 1115-s103, CeleronM 1.5MHz, 512Mb RAM, 20G HHD (19G actual), WinXP Home SP2 part. w/12G unparted.

Beans

Bump...sort of.

Will this work:
    XP Home with Ext2lFS_1_10c.exe installed
    "/ home"
    "/" with Ubuntu 7.10
    Linux swap

Linux can read/write to XP home
    -and-
    XP can read/write to "/ home" and "/"
    is this correct?

Otherwise I am going to have to look into Primary and "extended-logical" partitions...which BTW I am still confused about.
    Life is to enjoyed...not endured. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong...or need to be doing something else.
    Toshiba Satellite 1115-s103, CeleronM 1.5MHz, 512Mb RAM, 20G HHD (19G actual), WinXP Home SP2 part. w/12G unparted.

Beans

*Bump*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

So after following all this, I give it a try & find out (by losing a few e-mails) that Thunderbird for LINUX will not accept a profile directory with blanks in the filename (like "Documents and settings/ . . ."

It downloads just fine (and deletes the files from the server as it should), it just can't find the files for later use.

A fairly minor omission since that is only the default for the Windows installation.

I'll not let it bother me. I am, overall, very happy with UBUNTU, there are just a few items here & there that fail to give a heads up to those of us who have been with Billy Gates since he was skipping English classes.

Beans
    Distro

It looks as though Hardy comes with this facility installed by default. Simple file sharing has been set up so that I can see files on my xp desktop from the ubuntu setup on the laptop. The laptop is dual booted with xp and its files are available to read and write from ubuntu.
    Can I just add my agreement that ubuntu is just great - all tasks seem so much easier than the equivalent in xp. And as for Vista - well you have to almost start all over, it seems to be just change for the sake of it. Is the security better than xp? You still need to install antivirus etc.

Beans
    Distro

Very Interesting - maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that since I upgraded rather than doing a clean install, support for NTFS was NOT installed. Once I realized that and corrected the omission, my dual boot Thunderbird installation began to work like a champ.

Thanks to all you folks who described what SHOULD happen and how it SHOULD work so I could see what was wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Matchless View Post
    Hi,
    here is a very easy and quick way to share files between ubuntu and XP on a dual boot PC. The howto is for Feisty, but should work on other versions as well. This is a simplified method taken from many other more complex howto's with recognition to those publishers.

Howto Feisty Very easily share files on dual boot

Most Windows Partions nowadays are in NTFS format and Linux partions in EXT3. This means that natively they cannot read or write properly and safely to each other. On a dual boot PC the solution is easy and just requires a usefull application to be installed on each installation that will solve the problem. These applications are now fully stable and you do not need to use a seperate fat32 partition for sharing any more as was prescribed in the past and which is not very efficient.

1. Ubuntu or Kubuntu to access files in Windows XP
      Ensure that universe repositories are enabled.

Use Adept or Synaptic to install ntfs-config, which will then also download and install all required dependancies.
    You will find a new menu entry that is called NTFS Configuration Tool. Just run it if you are using Ubuntu, but edit it first, before running it in Kubuntu, by right clicking on it and changing the line gksu ntfs-config to kdesu ntfs-config before running it.
    This will then automatically configure the application and you will be asked for a name of the mountpoint in Ubuntu, give anything i.e. WinXP.
    Now you should be able to see this WinXP drive together with your Ubuntu drives and use it.

1. Win XP to access files in Ubuntu or Kubuntu
      Go to
      http://www.fs-driver.org/
      Download the application Ext2lFS_1_10c.exe or latest version and install on your XP.
      You will be shown a graphic display of your hard drives partitions and be able to select a drive name for the linux drive to be mapped to. You can use any one but suggest you use L (for Linux!) and only map to Ext3 and leave the swap unmapped.
      You will now find a Drive L that is your Linux drive and you will be able to read and write to it in XP.

Obviously you need to be careful and only really access the files and folders that are used for document, data etc. that the user keeps and not access the system files or carefully do this in case of messing up your installation.
    I am running Windows 7 and installed Ubuntu 11.04 on the same laptop and I am running it but I have tried installing the ntfs configuration tool, I try to open it but it asks for password and does nothing

I want to be able to use all the files that I use on Windows 7 please help me, I have been trying so hard nothing seems to work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12