Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoary repositories offline?

Beans

Hoary repositories offline?

Hey guys. I know it's had support dropped, but I still have a computer running hoary. Yesterday I tried to run apt-get update and got 404 errors.

I thought the end of support meant they just wouldn't release new updates. Does it also mean that the repository for hoary is gone, too? Or is this just a tempoary problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hoary repositories offline?

Which repos are you using? The main ubuntu ones ? (You've spotted another thread with the same problem I was about to mention )
    Packages still look listed here.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Hi bapoumba,

The repositories I'm using are these ones:

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe multiverse
    I guess that those are the main ubuntu ones, but I dunno. That's just what it was like after installing hoary from the CD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello
    Please look here:
    http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
    Looks like the gb repos dropped hoary??

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
    And the main ones too?

Did not find any bug report about this, has anyone seen an announcement?

Edit: are you still using hoary for a special reason? (enjoyed hoary much, BTW).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba
    Edit: are you still using hoary for a special reason? (enjoyed hoary much, BTW).
    Heh heh heh. Part of the reason I'm still using hoary is that it's the first release of Ubuntu I used... back in July/August/September of 2005. So, I use it in memory of old times.
    Another reason is that I have a computer that just serves files, which does its job just fine, running hoary... and I'm too lazy to update it to anything newer at the moment.

Beans

So have these repositories been taken offline forever? I haven't upgraded my mom's computer because I like to keep disruptions there to an absolute minimum, but it's still occasionally useful to install a package. Even if it's old, it's usually still quite usable.

(I also thought that only updates and such would end with the end of support; I sure hope that we aren't losing all access to the repositories!)

Thanks for any info!
    Laz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hey all I have an old laptop. I was told after trying to install brezzy one day and it wouldnt even boot to stick with the old hoary,, The laptop doesnt have the guts to run the latter distros..

Now I have lost all repos because Hoary has been dropped... so what do I do??

attempt an upgrade from disk and loose a working system ?

Laptop is an old Toshiba Satellite 2540XCDT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vector View Post
    Hey all I have an old laptop. I was told after trying to install brezzy one day and it wouldnt even boot to stick with the old hoary,, The laptop doesnt have the guts to run the latter distros..

Now I have lost all repos because Hoary has been dropped... so what do I do??

attempt an upgrade from disk and loose a working system ?

Laptop is an old Toshiba Satellite 2540XCDT
    You're running breezy, right? You can update that to Dapper, which should run OK on your old laptop. If you're running hoary, I can mail you a breezy CD which you could use to upgrade your system to breezy, and then you can upgrade your breezy system to Dapper.
    Upgrades almost always work fine... unless you've been using Automatix.

Beans

Wow, this is severe lameness. They actually take down all repositories, remove all documentation, links and historical information, and totally eradicate old versions.

I have several servers at 5.10 breezy, and now I appear to be stuck.

Except for version-by-version upgrade using CDROM.

That's severe lameness. Not even Red Hat is that lame.

EDIT::

What this erasure does is to make ubuntu seem much less established. Undermining history undermines credibility.

Also, erasing all the old experiences, complaints, tricks, and other globally-collected information basically sends a blanket message to eveyone on the planet that their comments, ideas, gripes, time taken to share and post, and --ultimately-- their lifetimes don't matter for crap and will be deleted like clockwork every 18 months.

This can only result in a "future shocked" aura around ubuntu, an always-new, always-hyper excited, but never old, never historically based, baseless toy OS.

This will in turn attract a demographic age-group of 'teen OS punks', who generally don't mind playing around on the newest version, rather than attracting old school and serious business users and supporting them with full historical information.

Or am I just old and dumb and completely wrong?
    Last edited by baustiech; July 15th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm wondering why there was no pre-warning or announcement that the repos would be taken offline.

At least, the repository should remain on only a few mirrors, even not official. But taken it completely away is annoying, though I'm using feisty. I loved hoary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast