Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /. story about debian and security...

Beans

/. story about debian and security...

Linkage

I wonder how much of this was brought upon Debian buy the incredible popularity of Ubuntu?

Is it possible that we're going to see Debian wither and starve because it's offspring is so much more popular?

Was this Mark's idea all along? (make Debian weaken and suffer so that it makes it easier for his company to ride in like a shining white knight and save the distro at the last min.. thereby picking up possibly the most pervasive distro on earth "cheaply" unlike Novell's $210 mil purchase of Suse) only sorta joking here
    Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: /. story about debian and security...

i smell a troll, btw, your link doesnt work either

-Wild

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WildTangent
    i smell a troll, btw, your link doesnt work either

-Wild
    The link still works for me..

hmm I guess you could read it that way.. (that last comment about Mark was a joke guys.. very tongue in cheek)
    I honestly didn't want it read that way though.. I'm just wanting a conversation about the many stories of late about the instabilities of the Debian organization..
    For every action there is a reaction that is equal and opposite. yes?
    Well.. It just has the feel that Ubuntu's rise is the equal and opposite of Debains.. umm "rough spot" ( I dont really want to call it a fall...)

How long was the sarge release? 32 months??
    That's obviously not completely Ubuntu's doing.. as Ubuntu isn't even 12 months old.. but I'd be willing to be it hasn't helped at all.

Obviously it's all OSS so whatever goes into the Ubuntu can go into Debian.. but that's just code, what I'm seeing as a spectator is that the Debian "organization" is suffering.
    Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Hidden!

No, what you are reading is ********. Things taken out of context. The Sarge release was delayed for quite a long time because of the update the infrastructure needed. If you read debian weekly news, it puts everyting into perspective.

And what two developers say on a mailing list is hardly representative of the (thousand?) other debian developers' opinion.

Also, derived-distributuions only add to the greatness that is Debian. You will find that most DD feel that way, Only the ones that complain get media coverage...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by senectus
    I wonder how much of this was brought upon Debian buy the incredible popularity of Ubuntu?
    Nothing. Thats like saying that a bug in the kernel was brought on by excitement in Gnome. The two have different security systems in place.

Is it possible that we're going to see Debian wither and starve because it's offspring is so much more popular?
    No. Debian survives because of volunteers. Many developers are very devoted to Debian. Debian stable aims for a different market that Ubuntu and most Debian forks aim at (desktop vs server).

Was this Mark's idea all along? (make Debian weaken and suffer so that it makes it easier for his company to ride in like a shining white knight and save the distro at the last min.. thereby picking up possibly the most pervasive distro on earth "cheaply" unlike Novell's $210 mil purchase of Suse) only sorta joking here
    No...Mark just wanted his own OS. The Debian license let him. Nice evil speculation though. Thats the place to look for evil- the guy giving away a free OS. Good way to make friends around here.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    No...Mark just wanted his own OS. The Debian license let him. Nice evil speculation though. Thats the place to look for evil- the guy giving away a free OS. Good way to make friends around here.

Calm down mate.. I did say I was joking..

After reading some of the comments I did as suggested and started reading the DML archives etc
    Yeah I think your right.. I should have known that it would be sensationalized way beyond reality..
    Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Calm down mate.. I did say I was joking..
    Sorry. Lately me and some of the ignorant Debianites have been going at it and I'm a little defensive.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Sorry. Lately me and some of the ignorant Debianites have been going at it and I'm a little defensive.
    Thats cool.. I should have research the original points more closely, instead of taking the media at face value.

Now let's have a nice big group hug then we can carry on feeling "ubuntu" about each other

Just kidding again
    Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Thats cool.. I should have research the original points more closely, instead of taking the media at face value.
    Just do me a favor and show someone that post if they don't get it.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

"the greatness that is Debian"

I cannot beleive than no one has taken a shot at me for saying something so corny. I'll try harder next time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast