Thread: defragmentation and a small problem

Beans

defragmentation and a small problem

Hi,

congratulations for this software! It works really great on my Amilo Notebook (Centrino Pentium M).

I have two questions:

First: can I do a normal defragmentation with windows? Will this affect the Ubuntu/Wubi installation in any way?

Second: when I boot Ubuntu the normal Ubuntu load screen appears. Then it removes and I see a black screen with many status messages. Most of them returns an Ok but one shows a red Fail message. I am not able to read which operations fails I think its something with the virtual discs and "file not found". The screen disappears very quick and Ubuntu starts. Is there any possibility to see a log file or pause the boot sequence so I can read what fails?

Thank you very much and please forgive my bad englisch.
    Bastian

EDIT I use the test 3 release and mit Host OS ist Windows XP Media Center Edition (so it is XP Pro)
    Last edited by BastiH; June 2nd, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: defragmentation and a small problem

As far as I know, defragmentation in Windows should not affect Wubi, but I have not tried it yet...

As for the "file not found" error, this is might be a problem with mounting the extra.virtual.disk swap partition. It is not a critical problem, but it might reduce Wubi's performance, since it will not be able to use virtual RAM (on your hard drive), only physical RAM. See this post for more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ual.disk.extra

Log files are stored in /var/log
    See this post on how to view them: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...70&postcount=6

In any case, please report your findings here on the forum. Thanks.

Beans

extra.virtual.disk does not affect performance and you can safely ignore the error. It is an extra disk to expand disk capacity later on if needed. So at boot we look for it and if there is none an error is raised.

Beans

running xp when I try to defragment my disk, i get one file

21 5.86 GB \wubi\disks\home.virtual.disk

which won't defragment. it's big enough so that in theory I should defrag every time. Can I erase it or what ?

Will it be automatically recreated ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe that this is the Wubi intstall itself - you don't want to delete that!

What program are you using to Defrag? DiskKeeper and the Windows Defrag program aren't very good, I recommend PerfectDisk, it's awesome.

Beans

I am using native xp defrag

Beans

21 fragments for such a file is not problematic at all. That makes an average size of 250 Mb per fragment. It won't hurt the performance in any way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If only someone would port Reiser4 to Windows - no more defrag

Beans

You could also use JkDefrag. It works like a charm ^_^