Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alright, Tennesseans, what's on your mind?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Alright, Tennesseans, what's on your mind?

Dangit...

I am more disposed to getting together in Nashville than Franklin...

I'll give a few ideas for where we could meet, then give a date we could get together, with at least two weeks lead time.

Cafe Coco, off Elliston Place
    Frothy Monkey, Belmont Blvd
    Borders, 2505 West End
    City Limits Cafe, Bellevue
    Todd's Butcher Shop and Deli, Charlotte Pike

Also, would Sunday afternoon be amicible?
    Romans 3:23
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 5:8
    Romans 10:13

Beans

Hi all....Don here in Lexington...just wanted to check in and say hello....User since Edgy and loving every minute of it.
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." William of Ockham
    Unanswered Posts Team Beginners Team Tennessee Team
    Please mark your thread "SOLVED" when done, and thank those that helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hey. i am from nashville and i am nearing completion of my computer. a friend of mine is going to help me put it together tommorrow and all the pieces are at his house. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one in nashville using ubuntu, and that i am not alone in the quest to spread the knowlege of its presence. so far i have almost convinced several of my friends, but they want to see it in action first, and i've ordered several live CDs for people just to prove that it was entirely free. i hope to see more people using ubuntu, and i may suggest edubuntu to several school systems as an alternative to pricy windows. i look forward to being an active member in this forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Luksion Knight View Post
    hey. i am from nashville and i am nearing completion of my computer. a friend of mine is going to help me put it together tommorrow and all the pieces are at his house. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one in nashville using ubuntu, and that i am not alone in the quest to spread the knowlege of its presence. so far i have almost convinced several of my friends, but they want to see it in action first, and i've ordered several live CDs for people just to prove that it was entirely free. i hope to see more people using ubuntu, and i may suggest edubuntu to several school systems as an alternative to pricy windows. i look forward to being an active member in this forum.
    Glad to see some ACTIVITY on here...congrats on your new machine...BTW, just got my new shipment of Feisty from Canonical today...3rd order received and I've managed to covert a few folks around here too..even some of the 'puter shops... 8) If you are short a cd or two, let me know.
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." William of Ockham
    Unanswered Posts Team Beginners Team Tennessee Team
    Please mark your thread "SOLVED" when done, and thank those that helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

will do. has anyone considered and ubuntu convention? have it in a coffee house w/ good free coffee, maybe get a band or two, have a gaming competition. raise awareness ya know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

=... I've managed to covert a few folks around here too..even some of the 'puter shops....
    That's great! I have a few "Edubuntu on the old computer for the kids" converts but no primary computer converts yet.

TheOpenCD has been more of a success. OpenOffice.org is being used by quite a few locals now and Audacity is proving to be a great intro to Open Source, especially with high schoolers.

Plus one computer shop that is giving out TheOpenCD for those in need of a word processor instead of selling MS Office upgrades. The shop owner agrees that the word-of-mouth advertising for giving out totally-free software will be great for building up his reputation (it is a fairly new shop) and will reap far greater rewards down the road than his software markups today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am in favor of the Nashville area for the gathering. I think that would be the most logical area for the time being and if we never do a kick off meeting, this idea might never get off the ground. At least those of us that went, could take photos and post and maybe that would encourage more to come out in the future!
    Last edited by xang; July 24th, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
    IRC on FreeNode: #ubuntu-us-tn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I live in Franklin, go to school in the boro (MTSU), work in Nashville, and have been using Linux since 2003. I started on Mandrake 7, and now use Ubuntu since 5.04. I have a SMB/DHCP/DNS/HTTP/MDNS server that has been up for 160 some odd days now, and it still is moving right along, hasnt even dipped into the swap file. I cant run Ubuntu on the desktop due to being in the Windows (CIS) department at school, but I love running Linux servers. I would love to have an informal get-together if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

im glad i stumbled upon this, even tho it was after the post in the mail list lmao.

Beans

Hey guys. I'm another Todd, but this time over toward Knoxville. I've been using linux on and off since toying with Slackware on a 386 a long time ago, and have gone fully linux on both of my work machines as well as my main gaming rig at home. I toyed with making the total-immersion plunge with edgy, but finally went thru with it when Feisty was released.

I've always WANTED to switch fully, but I can't let go of my windows games. Once I discovered that Cedega supported WoW (and nicely, I might add), that was all I needed.

Right now, I think the only thing that ever plagues me at work or at home is the current state of wireless support, but thankfully my laptop has an ethernet jack as well, so I'm good for the most part.

TT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123