Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Location

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Angry Re: Location

I'm in mourning. My old Vaio died this past week. Everything was working great but I think the PCU took a dump on me as a result of the fan not working properly(it was 8 or so years old). Now I'm looking for a good replacement for cheap since I'm poor right now. Any info on the $150 laptop from Sweden? Edison$ I'd buy it right now if it seemed feasible. Throw Ubuntu on and let's go here. I've been a downloading freak the last week or so with Linux and I still find Ubuntu my fave, so keep it going. Been real, Jim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Location

Responding to my own post. The Old Vaio is up again at 256 mb of RAM. One of the ram cards died(128mb) and by removing it I'm back off of my vi$ta box. Thanks to somebody at Computer Revolution in Roseville, MN. Didn't catch a name but pointed me in the right direction. No more mourning, as Brian Wilson wrote "Happy days are here again"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Location

Just an fyi, 256MB would put you at the minimum requirements for Ubuntu. Hopefully it isn't running sluggish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ryan here...

Madison, WI area...Java/PHP/Rails/Django Web Developer...uber geek minus Star Trek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by wowie View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, and to Ubuntu. Actually, I haven't even loaded it on my computer yet. I'm still reading and learning. I found you all here by total accident, but am glad I did!
    I'm in Appleton, Wi (of course) and was thrilled to find a WI site, much less a forum! Thank You for being here! I'm sure I will need lots of help, since I know just enough about computers to be considered dangerous, hehehe
    I'm a home user, and all self taught, so there are probably a lot of wholes in my computer education, so please be patient with me, k? (actually my sister is the real geek, I just do what she tells me to do, and have learned a little along the way)

So, this is where I am, I'm hoping you all can help me. Thanks sooooo much, I'm soooo glad you are here!
    wowie
    If you are running Windows XP, the easiest way to dual boot Ubuntu and XP is with Wubi. Just download the installer and run it in Windows. It's that easy... no repartitioning your disk, no fuss. I think you need to use "ubuntu" as the username and password the first time, then you can change it afterward. It is a reall install too, not an emulator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello people, am a sophomore Computer Science and Information Systems major at University of Wisconsin, River Falls. I am new to Linux and Ubuntu. I was unable to install Ubuntu on my system with the live CD, but succeeded with a neat Windows-executable installer named Wubi.
    If I could get my printer and mouse to work , I would probably seldom use XP, but right now I am still using it when I need to print stuff.
    I would like to promote Ubuntu on campus... but I need to get a better handle on issues like device drivers because I would not feel proud of myself if I left someone with a nonfunctional printer, for example. Let me know if you'd like to collaborate on a UWRF installfest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

well hey rowanrook i did sum quick searching and i came up with a long solution from some guy that might work for you bluetooth but idk seeing as i have no bluetooth(and i didnt even read thro it )
    On a terminal type:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-bluetooth bluez-gnome python-bluez python-libbtctl bluez-utils bluez-gnome
    Now "Bluetooth File sharing" will appear under Applications->Accesories, once activated a new icon will appear near the clock to identify it.
    To execute it automatically at startup, go to System->Preferences->Session-> Startup Programs, click on new and type gnome-obex-server.
    Restart your computer. (Maybe doing something else this won't be needed)
    You will also have under System->Preferences->Bluetooth preferences some extra configuration to play with to make you cellphone, etc work.
    To search for bluetooth devices:
    Make the device discoverable (look for a "Connect" button on many keyboards and mice or look in the device's manual) and then search for the device with this command:
    sudo hidd --search
    If that command doesn't work, try this one:
    hcitool scan
    Hint: If no devices are being shown and you are using Edgy Eft (6.10), you may try
    sudo hciconfig hci0 inqmode 0
    See bug [https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...th/+bug/70718] #70718. If this helps, you may add the hciconfig command (without "sudo") to your /etc/rc.local file for a permanent workaround.
    To change the location that files are saved to when using bluetooth transfers
    gconf-editor
    Then navigate to
    /apps/gnome-obex-server
    where you can specify the save directory and also turn off that annoying dialogue box!
    and if that doesnt work
    you could always wait for gutsy which will have better bluetooth support

Th3 D0ct0R
    Do you enjoy wonderful wood sculptures?
    Well then go here: Bruce G. Long Fine Wood Scupltures
    And if you really like it then add it to your signature
    And spread the word about these wonderful sculptures

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Red face Re: Location

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_62 View Post
    Im Ryan (or Steebs if you wish) and I am from Edgar, about 15 miles west of Wausau on HWY 29. I am currently going into my Senior year at UWSP with a double major in Computer Information Systems and then Web & Digital Media Development. I had a linux class first semester last year (Fedora Core 5... yuck!), then decided that I would dual boot from then on, and I have actually been running Ubuntu all summer. I plan on working as a network/workstation technician at the local high school, which I have been doing during the summer for the last 4 years. I will be graduating in Dec. of 2008, and I cant wait!!!

Im actually amazed to see this many people from Wisconsin on here
    From someone who grew up in Edgar, I can say that I'm amazed someone from my hometown is actually on here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Greetings,
    My name is Aaron and i am from Madison. I have Ubuntu running strictly on my system, but still have windows running on my laptop and the wife's system.She is not ready to use linux since yet, and I do not want to force her, because I know that would only scare her away. Have been using linux myself on and off trying different distros for about 3 years before I finally settled on ubuntu completely for my system.

Quote Originally Posted by herteljt View Post
    I live and work in Neenah WI. I went to college at UW-Eau Claire for mathematics and music education. I just finished my second year of teaching mathematics. I switched to Ubuntu in April and I haven't touched my Windows box since (although I have been trying to run things with Wine).

Great to see a LoCo Team started for WI.
    Hey herteljt and wowie! I work in Neenah! I live in Manitowoc and hope to move to Appleton soon. Also, hey MethodOne! I graduated from LTC in 2002 and I had Nadine Schreiter as well. I was already a Linux user, but I had her for some classes.

Mike Putnam

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast