Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Location

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Location

Greetings Wowie,

Probably this should be in a new thread, not "Location"
    Just start a new thread in Wisconsin Team with a simple title like "Problem making install CD"

Edited: OK I see you did start another Thread.
    Last edited by ridgeland; July 9th, 2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Saw the issue was moved to another thread.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Greetings...Name here is Dave and I am located in New Berlin. I graduated from UW-Milwaukee in 1991 with a BBA degree in MIS. Currently, I work as a senior programmer/analyst for a very large telecommunications company. Did mostly mainframe work since college, but a few months ago switch to a different group that uses Java/C++, Unix, and Oracle.

At home I run Ubuntu (Feisty) on a old, 800Mhz computer. Windows is still my main OS . When I get around to building my new PC, it will running Ubuntu with Windows running as a VM.

I have gotten several people at work to at least try Ubuntu. Every one of them has been impressed with the ease of installing Ubuntu and how easy it is to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey Guys,

My name is Brad and I live in Kaukauna. Working the Electronics department at Sam's Club while I attend UW-Oshkosh (CompSci major). I just joined the Launchpad group, anything else I need to do to officially join the Wisconsin LoCo group?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My name is Daniel. I live in Milwaukee, WI (actually a little suburb south of downtown Milwaukee, ironically the suburb is called South Milwaukee) I have been using Ubuntu for about 2 years. It's been great. I hang around in the forums frequently and answer any and all questions that I can. I would be happy to be part of this LoCo Team. I own my own small business on the side fixing computers that have virus's, spyware, malware, I do upgrades, I build custom pc's, and pretty much anything and everything. I am not a programmer but have been interested in learning Python, Bash, and or Java. I've been promoting Ubuntu to may people but haven't gotten any takers as if it's not Winbloz, people don't think they'll be able to use it which is a shame.

I am heading over to join the launchpad team. Talk to ya'll later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Im Ryan (or Steebs if you wish) and I am from Edgar, about 15 miles west of Wausau on HWY 29. I am currently going into my Senior year at UWSP with a double major in Computer Information Systems and then Web & Digital Media Development. I had a linux class first semester last year (Fedora Core 5... yuck!), then decided that I would dual boot from then on, and I have actually been running Ubuntu all summer. I plan on working as a network/workstation technician at the local high school, which I have been doing during the summer for the last 4 years. I will be graduating in Dec. of 2008, and I cant wait!!!

Im actually amazed to see this many people from Wisconsin on here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My name is Dave and I live in Solon Springs in the northwestern corner of the state.
    I'm going on my second year of using Ubuntu as main OS at work (I'm an art teacher and technology coordinator), although I cheat a bit and use vmware and terminal services to manage our mostly windows network.
    I've been playing around with linux for a few years and have tried quite a few different distributions, but have found I really like the stability and package management of the Debian family.
    I think it's cool to see so many younger people involved with this LoCo team here in Wisconsin.

Beans

I'm Chris - I currently live in Whitefish Bay just north of Milwaukee but am moving to Las Vegas on September 1st. For work I install wireless networks in hotels.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'm Buran. I currently live in the UK, but will be moving back to Madison sometime towards the end of the year. I used to be in IT until my son was born so I am now a stay-at-home dad.

I have been using Ubuntu since April and I am also working with Gentoo. Both are fun and different so it keeps me busy.

I am also looking forward to seeing where the direction of this team is heading. I am currently working on writing a program that will find your wireless card and attempt to install it. It is going to be done in Python or using bash scripting.

I doubt that I will be joining any meetings with the group on IRC until I get back in the US. Being six hours ahead and trying to attend a 9:30 pm meeting kinda interferes with my sleep...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Location

Hi, my name is Jim and I live in Hudson. I looked at the Minnesota forum first since I'm minutes from the Twin Cities but there were no posts. Glad to see some life on the Wisconsin side. I'm glad also to see that there are a lot of noobies like myself to Linux. I'm a carpenter by trade but am currently enrolled at ITT Tech to eventually move inside at least for the winters. My instructor in a computer class is knowledgeable in Linux, and another student had been trying out Ubuntu. I like the option to run something other than Windows so I thought I'd give it a try. After just replacing ME(older vaio, don't laugh) with Win2K, I thought I had a good little system. And it was. But I went ahead and installed Ubuntu (to hell with partitions) and dove in head first. So far I couldn't be happier. With a little tweaking and a small learning curve it does everything Win2K did for me and it's quicker especially with an older unit. I've been downloading other distros and playing, but so far Ubuntu is my choice. Good luck and spread the word!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I'm Buran. I currently live in the UK, but will be moving back to Madison sometime towards the end of the year. I used to be in IT until my son was born so I am now a stay-at-home dad.

I have been using Ubuntu since April and I am also working with Gentoo. Both are fun and different so it keeps me busy.

I am also looking forward to seeing where the direction of this team is heading. I am currently working on writing a program that will find your wireless card and attempt to install it. It is going to be done in Python or using bash scripting.

I doubt that I will be joining any meetings with the group on IRC until I get back in the US. Being six hours ahead and trying to attend a 9:30 pm meeting kinda interferes with my sleep...
    Welcome!

A wireless card script is an excellent idea. A lot of people would be able to make use of something like that. I know when I first installed Ubuntu it was on my laptop, and my first task was getting my wireless card to work. It was an intimidating task, but I eventually got it working. If you hosted it on a webpage you'd definitely be getting a lot of hits on it.

If you wanted to get to a meeting, you could just set your alarm clock... Maybe we'll see you when you get back to the States. Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesniddle View Post
    Hi, my name is Jim and I live in Hudson. I looked at the Minnesota forum first since I'm minutes from the Twin Cities but there were no posts. Glad to see some life on the Wisconsin side. I'm glad also to see that there are a lot of noobies like myself to Linux. I'm a carpenter by trade but am currently enrolled at ITT Tech to eventually move inside at least for the winters. My instructor in a computer class is knowledgeable in Linux, and another student had been trying out Ubuntu. I like the option to run something other than Windows so I thought I'd give it a try. After just replacing ME(older vaio, don't laugh) with Win2K, I thought I had a good little system. And it was. But I went ahead and installed Ubuntu (to hell with partitions) and dove in head first. So far I couldn't be happier. With a little tweaking and a small learning curve it does everything Win2K did for me and it's quicker especially with an older unit. I've been downloading other distros and playing, but so far Ubuntu is my choice. Good luck and spread the word!
    I drive to the Cities once a month when I am in school.

Sometimes diving into a new system is the best way to learn it. If I hadn't gotten rid of everything except Ubuntu I probably wouldn't have learned as much as I have by now.

Always good to have another memeber.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast