Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use Firebox and Thunderbird from Windows in Wubi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Is it possible to use Firefox and Thunderbird from Windows in Wubi?

I use Firefox and Thunderbird in Windows, is it possible that I can have Wubi share these? So my messages in Thunderbird and my favorites in Firefox are the same?
    Last edited by Romanus81; June 6th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to use Firebox and Thunderbird from Windows in Wubi?

Yes you can copy the favorites over, it's only on file, we have a migration-wizard to automatically import those settings for you but it is not ready yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

from what I see, you want to share the files, not import them? In that case, make a symlink from /media/host/Documents\ and\ Settings/yourusername/Application\ Data/Mozilla to .mozilla (for firefox) and another from /media/host/Documents\ and\ Settings/yourusername/Application\ Data/Thunderbird to .mozilla-thunderbird (for thunderbird)

you can create the symlinks with the file browser (right-click, make link in nautilus), or with the command ln -s (targetdir) (symlink)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you, but I'm kind of new to Ubuntu, I just got Wubi a few days ago, is there an FAQ or something that can help me make the symlink?
    I just want to share the profiles so that my favorites on firefox and my messages on Thunderbird are shared, I've heard that I would need to partition FAT32, but I am not sure how to do that, would the symlink make it unnecessary? If I do need to partition FAT32, how would I do that safely?
    Last edited by Romanus81; June 3rd, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

any extra advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

there's no need to use a FAT32 partition, here's how you do it (by the way you'll lose any emails or bookmarks on the ubuntu install, make sure you back them up beforehand if you need to):

open up a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
    type this in:

Code:
    rm -r .mozilla
    rm -r .mozilla-thunderbird
    ln -s /media/host/Documents\ and\ Settings/yourusername/Application\ Data/Mozilla .mozilla
    ln -s /media/host/Documents\ and\ Settings/yourusername/Application\ Data/Thunderbird .mozilla-thunderbird
    make sure you substitute your windows username for "yourusername" in the commands above

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It created the links, I got a message confirming it after I typed all that in, but I can't get firefox or thunderbird to start, I click on it and it says "Starting Firefox" on the bottom bar, nothing pops up, and the cursor changes to the loading cursor, and after about 5 or 6 seconds it just closes.
    I might have just typed something in wrong, is there a way I can restore the firefox files?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus81 View Post
    It created the links, I got a message confirming it after I typed all that in, but I can't get firefox or thunderbird to start, I click on it and it says "Starting Firefox" on the bottom bar, nothing pops up, and the cursor changes to the loading cursor, and after about 5 or 6 seconds it just closes.
    I might have just typed something in wrong, is there a way I can restore the firefox files?
    Not sure how FF/TB cope with windows specific settings/plugins. Start with an empty profile (FF will create one for you) then only symlink the file you really need, like bookmarks.html.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If I try to do anything to firefox or thunderbird, I just get this message,
    "files list file for package `firefox' contains empty filename "
    I've tried reinstalling it in synaptic and in the add/remove package manager.

Beans
    Distro

It created the links, I got a message confirming it after I typed all that in
    You didn't type it in right, you're not supposed to get any message if you typed it in correctly; that was an error message. See the instructions below for creating symlinks, they should be easier to follow.

Not sure how FF/TB cope with windows specific settings/plugins. Start with an empty profile (FF will create one for you) then only symlink the file you really need, like bookmarks.html.
    Neither the firefox nor profile doesn't have any issues with windows-specific settings, I have my firefox and thunderbird set up exactly like this and it works fine; the symlink is likely broken, that's what's causing the issue. Open a terminal, and type in:

Code:
    file .mozilla
    file .mozilla-thunderbird
    does it say "broken symbolic link" anywhere? If so, you didn't enter the command in correctly. Instead, just do it manually with the file manager. First delete the existing symlinks:

Code:
    rm -r .mozilla
    rm -r .mozilla-thunderbird
    Then open the file manager, Places -> Computer
    Then click Filesystem
    Then click media
    Then click host
    Then click Documents and Settings
    Then click on the folder that has the name of whatever your username in windows is
    Then click Application Data
    Then right-click Mozilla, and click "Make link"
    Then right-click Thunderbird, and click "Make link"
    Then move the links that were created to your user's home directory (/home/yourusername)
    Then rename the link to the Moziila folder to .mozilla, and rename the link to the Thunderbird folder to .mozilla-thunderbird

Then enter this command to make sure the symlinks were properly created
    Code:
    file .mozilla
    file .mozilla-thunderbird
    Now it shouldn't say anything about "broken symbolic link"; if it does, repeat the instructions above
    Now start up firefox and thunderbird, it shouldn't have any issues
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; June 5th, 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast