Quick note: my apologies to all for not posting anything last week. On to the report...

A few weeks ago, I spoke with Brian King (bkingx) and Eric Hill (etank) with the Kentucky Team. They and everyone else in their channel were very nice to me and said we can use any ideas they have on their wiki. They also gave good comments on our wiki layout and logo.

Here are some of the things I found quite interesting:
  1. Custom CD. They are working on developing a customized CD with pre-loaded packages they recommend to new users.
  2. Welcome Packet. This is a great idea for something to give new users who have no idea what Ubuntu is about. This packet is arranged in a specific order with the team's logos and includes:
    • An Ubuntu CD
    • Stickers
    • A CD with Screencasts
    • The latest copy of FullCircle Magazine
    • Welcome letter
    • Help documents, such as a one-page Ubuntu manual, Linux-equivalent apps, how to use IRC, etc.
  3. They are looking to developing User Support using Skype for 2 hours on 1 day.
  4. There are specific logos for each team.

As always, I encourage everyone to take a look at this site. I believe the idea of developing a Welcome Packet could definitely benefit our aims by finding new members, have them quickly learn learn about Ubuntu, answer any basic questions, and promote our team.

Please post your thoughts on any of these ideas.