Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why buy a Mac if you intend to install Ubuntu on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Why buy a Mac if you intend to install Ubuntu on it?

If you intend to put ubuntu on it...why would you spend the $$$ for a mac over a pc?

Just wondered.

Beans

Re: Why buy a mac?

I would: If the heating wouldn't be so damn bad. It gets really hot. If I had to buy a new pc, I'd go for a dell with Ubuntu on it. Drivers are working etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

my opinion (nearly worthless ) - because you look *cool* at the coffee houses..

I would never buy a mac, they only have one mouse button!
    hail the goer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by hasimir44 View Post
    my opinion (nearly worthless ) - because you look *cool* at the coffee houses..

I would never buy a mac, they only have one mouse button!
    Fascinating that these people bother to post in here. Anyway, people who buy Macs do because they like them. For me, it's the superior hardware, and the ability to easily run any operating consumer-grade OS on the market.

I don't think anyone is going to spend time trying to convert you, Warpnow, so look elsewhere.

Also, I have to say I highly recommend one of the new Dells. I'll be buying one myself soon enough so I can take Windows off this machine, use it as OS X and Ubuntu Studio and then the Dell for Ubuntu and WinXP (for gaming). =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I bought a Mac because I'm dual-booting Mac and Ubuntu, so that I can use Mac's great interface and features and have Ubuntu's flexibility and power, with the ability to cross-compile from Linux to Windows, which gives me the ability to avoid Windows entirely while still developing for all 3 operating systems.

Also, Macs no longer have only one mouse button on most of their mice. Not to mention the fact that there are lots of 3rd party mice compatible with them, including my new Razer Diamondback. When did you last use one, hasimir44?
    legesmotus.endrift.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Greywhind View Post
    When did you last use one, hasimir44?
    I guess, like, 2002 or something. I mean, coffee shops were cool then, and the kids with the Macs looked sharp. I think it's the kids running Linux now who look cool in the coffee shop, *cough cough*.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Greywhind View Post
    Also, Macs no longer have only one mouse button on most of their mice.
    Actually, that's not true. All Apple Mice, direct from the manufacturer, have only one button. The MightyMouse has a tiny scroll button/wheel thingy, but it still only has one clickable button. It's very annoying, but there you have it. You can buy just about any third-party USB mouse and have it work with Macs - it's what I do.

Actually, that's not true. All Apple Mice, direct from the manufacturer, have only one button
    how are you suppost to use a computer with onlu 1 mouse button?
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    how are you suppost to use a computer with onlu 1 mouse button?
    I know I'm feeding the trolls here, but I'm a magnanimous person, and I can't watch even a troll starve to death. The short answer to your question is that you are restricted by an inferior design paradigm which mandates the user be equipped with at least two mouse buttons to interact with the GUI. Not everyone believes this is right, and there are those who believe in transcending this limitation by forcing designers to better present options visibly without resorting to hiding them under a right-click menu. It may not be "right" or "correct" or even interesting to you, but it is different, and therefore is extremely viable to the software movement from an evolutionary standpoint.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Seamyst View Post
    Actually, that's not true. All Apple Mice, direct from the manufacturer, have only one button. The MightyMouse has a tiny scroll button/wheel thingy, but it still only has one clickable button. It's very annoying, but there you have it. You can buy just about any third-party USB mouse and have it work with Macs - it's what I do.
    Have you ever even used a Mac? I mean, you could probably spot one in a line-up, but that's just because you would pick the only one that wouldn't make an infant weep with its garish design. It wasn't hard to prove you wrong on your FUD, but then, FUD is never hard to defuse; it's extremely easy to promulgate, though.

Read Apple's official page about their flagship mouse.

Sorry for sounding like a Linux-loving forumrat, or worse, a Mac fanboi, but c'mon. This stuff isn't hard to see through, people!
    Last edited by Sef; December 16th, 2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast