Page 49 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Akegata View Post

I have a strange problem though. I've mapped my lower thumb button to alt+left and thus use it as Back in browsers.
    However, every now and then it goes nuts and goes back several pages, it just keeps repeating itself until I press esc (or alt..not sure which one actually stops it). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
    I'm having the same issue. Pressing the left ALT on the keyboard seems to stop it. I've also had problems with the scroll wheel adjusting the opacity of a window (running compiz). It seems the ALT key is "sticking" after using the thumb button occasionally. ALT+Scroll is supposed to adjust opacity. Again, pressing the ALT key releases it, and the mouse functions as expected. I'm guessing something is causing ALT to act like it is being held down. I get a few other odd mouse actions once in a while, and they all appear to be related to this.

Other than that, BTNX is great, and has been an excellent solution to a multi-button mouse!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by techstop View Post
    Have you tried?
    I did and it didn't work. But I've been messing around with it and changed the xorg.conf to the one in the instructions and now it works. I had originally changed the xorg.conf to get the back/foward working on this mouse. Seems to work great now with the more generic xorg config though!

Now if I could only decide something to do with the tilt buttons.

Beans

I finally got this working!

Download mvmouse , decompress and put in /usr/sbin. Make sure you do a
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/sbin/mvmouse
    Add user root to the X server access list. I think this is necessary because mvmouse runs on the X display. Edit /root/.bashrc and add the following line (change username to your login id):
    Code:
    export XAUTHORITY=/home/username/.Xauthority
    After detecting the search button in btnx-config, change Event Type to Command Execution. Add the following in the Execute Command box:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/mvmouse -display :0 +0 +0 2
    That should wrap it up. Paste away!

Quote Originally Posted by smoothifier View Post
    I am having issues with mapping the search button on a MX Revolution mouse to mouse button 2 (mimicking the middle button paste).

I installed mvmouse and I have btnx-config set to execute this command:

Code:
    /usr/bin/mvmouse +0 +0 2
    This works fine if I save and restart btnx from within btnx-config, but fails on a reboot, even if I restart the service from the command line. All other buttons work fine, and all other buttons are keymap commands. The only one that fails is the command-line button.
    Last edited by smoothifier; October 31st, 2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: xhost command doesn't survive a reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
    I did and it didn't work. But I've been messing around with it and changed the xorg.conf to the one in the instructions and now it works. I had originally changed the xorg.conf to get the back/foward working on this mouse. Seems to work great now with the more generic xorg config though!

Now if I could only decide something to do with the tilt buttons.
    Good to hear...It would be good to have a list of standard keyboard shortcuts so we can program our mouses.

Beans

I finally got btnx working under Mandriva. I copied the btnx executable to /etc/rc.d/init.d and edited /etc/rc5.d/S99local and added the line /etc/init.d/btnx -b start

One problem that I've noticed pertains to Revoco. I have Click-to-click-mode set, but after some period of activity it somehow reverts to Free-scroll-mode. I've had to change it back a couple of times in the last hour or so. It is too early to determine any pattern.

I do have to kill btnx if I want to change the config file, so that I can then restart it, since I have no way to stop it otherwise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RVDowning View Post
    One problem that I've noticed pertains to Revoco. I have Click-to-click-mode set, but after some period of activity it somehow reverts to Free-scroll-mode.
    I'm having almost the same problem. revoco switches to making the scroll wheel the active click-to-click button.
    However, there is an obvious bug in btnx-config here.

If you for instance set revoco to manual, save the config, restart btnx, clost btnx-config and then start btnx-config again and go to the revoco tab, it will be set to Free-scroll mode.
    This of course means that if you ever fire up btnx-config and change anything without setting the revoco settings _every time_, the revoco settings will be lost.

I don't think that's related to the bug which resets revoco to free scroll or changes the click-to-click button, but it's a bug nonetheless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by dr.koljan View Post
    Is there ever going to be a binary package for btnx?

Thanks.
    I noticed someone submitted btnx to the Ubuntu repository wishlist. Perhaps it will be "apt-gettable" one day.

I've decided from the beginning not to make binaries myself, because this takes time away from actually developing and improving btnx (which I have little of, anyway).

However, someone (who you can thank for the revoco idea) proposed to me over email to help make binary packages at some point, so they might be available in the future.

Of course, anyone can do the packaging with a little effort and research. I will upload them to the server if someone submits binary packages.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Akegata View Post
    I'm having almost the same problem. revoco switches to making the scroll wheel the active click-to-click button.
    However, there is an obvious bug in btnx-config here.

If you for instance set revoco to manual, save the config, restart btnx, clost btnx-config and then start btnx-config again and go to the revoco tab, it will be set to Free-scroll mode.
    This of course means that if you ever fire up btnx-config and change anything without setting the revoco settings _every time_, the revoco settings will be lost.

I don't think that's related to the bug which resets revoco to free scroll or changes the click-to-click button, but it's a bug nonetheless.
    The revoco functionality was slapped together quite quickly for the last release. I did notice something strange with it as well. Thanks for isolating the bug, I know what must be causing it. I will fix this in the coming days.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hellhound View Post
    I just tried BTNX and it does not seem to recognize my mouse. I have a Logitech G5 usb mouse. I am also running Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I have not installed any other button modifying programs, but i have setup xorg and created a modmap following this website (http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/20...w-under-linux/)

All my buttons work fine in firefox, compiz, and other programs, but I would like ot use the same back and forward tilt buttons I use in Firefox for Dolphin. I have changed Dolphin's shortcuts to match firefox's (alt-left, etc.) but this did not help. If I press alt-left on my keyboard it works, but not using the tilt left on my mouse.

I have been told by numerous sources to try btnx to get this working correctly. I received no errors during the install that I saw. I also installed BTNX 0.3.2 and BTNX-Config 0.2.1. There is no error when the program is trying to find my mouse, it just doesn't respond. When I launch sudo ./btnx i get the following:
    uinput modprobed successfully.
    Could not read the config file: No such file or directory
    Error: configuration file error.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several times but still receive the same.
    It looks like you haven't detected the mouse and configured it. Make sure to run btnx-config first. Then use it to detect your mouse, configure the buttons, and save the configuration file. It should automatically restart btnx then.

By the way, I hope you didn't change the InputSection Driver to "evdev" like described in the link you posted. This usually causes problems for btnx.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    Hi daou...

I have a little question...

I upgraded to btnx 0.3.3.
    It works fine but at boot time, in text appear "btnx failed to start"... And after that "btnx succesfully started"...

It's normal? Can I do something to change this?

Thanks!

I have the same problem...
    I pulled back the 0.3.3 release (v.0.3.2 is the recommended) because I wasn't sure if it was stable. I am running it myself and it works just fine. I am getting the same "btnx failed to start" at boot. It seems that some process hasn't started during boot that btnx depends on. It's not really a problem (just looks annoying), because it will keep trying until it's possible to start btnx. However, I will be working to fix it soon.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 49 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast