Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Thanks for the nice software! I almost have it working perfectly with my Logitech VX Revolution. However two issues;

1. How do I start btnx automatically? I need to run "sudo btnx" from a terminal to get it to run now.
    2. Forward and back works fine in Firefox, and back works fine in Nautilus, but forward activates the right-click menu in Nautilus but doesn't go forward.

Any tips on fixing these two things? Cheers...

EDIT: forget about problem 1, it seems to have fixed itself...

Here is my xorg.conf for reference;

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "CorePointer"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option         "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "Buttons"         "12"
    EndSection
    I have tried using 3, 5 and 12 for the buttons option...
    Last edited by techstop; October 10th, 2007 at 10:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Hi everyone,

I haven't been very active with btnx lately (ok I haven't even looked at it for 2 months). I blame the community. No one bothered to get me one of these coaches: http://xkcd.com/306/ .

I'll reply to the latest posts on this thread once I get myself orientated with btnx again.

Glad to see there haven't been too many problems with the newest release of btnx.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

You mean you've been letting a real life get in the way of your btnx work?
    Last edited by RVDowning; October 11th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You mean you've been letting a real life get in the way of your btnx work?
    Yes, I have. How careless of me .

I am getting the following error when I attempt ./configure:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

I do have gtk+2.0 (2.12.0-7) installed. The issue seems to be that the config file is looking for a gtk+-2.0, namely with a hyphen in the name. I have none of those environment variables set (would have no idea what to set them to).
    There could be two problems. Either you don't have the necessary GTK+ source package installed on your distro, or the location of the library has not been registered with pkg-config correctly.

First, make sure the library isn't registered with a different name, like without the hyphen.

Code:
    pkg-config --list-all | grep gtk
    If it is named something other than gtk+-2.0, then edit the configure.ac file in the top source directory of btnx-config.

Replace the line

Code:
    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTK, gtk+-2.0 >= 2.10.11)
    with
    Code:
    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTK, package_name >= 2.10.11)
    or remove the whole line.
    EDIT: removing will just delay the problem, pkg-config will not be able to give the correct CFLAGS etc. when compiling btnx-config. And changing the package name might not work unless you also edit the Makefile.am files, changing the gtk package name there as well. Try the last step instead (checking that the gtk dev files, headers etc, have been installed correctly). But tell me if the package name is different (or has changed in v. 2.12)

Then, hoping you have autotools, autoconf, and automake, you could run the following commands in the top source directory::

Code:
    aclocal
    autoconf
    autoheader
    automake --add-missing
    ./configure
    If this works, I will add another check to the configure.ac to take care of it.

If the above wasn't the case, then see if there is anything in your distro's repository that refers to libgtk2.0 sources. On Ubuntu the debian package is libgtk2.0-dev, and installing it automatically registers the package with pkg-config.

If it doesn't register it automatically with pkg-config, then its a more difficult problem.
    Last edited by daou; October 12th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Isthan View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me configure btnx. I have it installed properly with version 0.3.1. I was able to have the program detect my buttons. With the Back button I am trying to use the BTN_BACK and Forward with BTN_FORWARD. I checked in the enabled and saved the configuration. Testing the forward/back buttons on a web browser doesnt give the intended result that I thought i'd configured. Instead it does what its default was ever since I plugged it in which seems to be a right click or some sort of menu.

Any thoughts?
    Window managers/applications don't seem to respect the intended functionality of those buttons always. I found that using Alt+Left or Right (KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT) works better in Firefox and Nautilus when you want back and forward functionality.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
    It's indeed a physical switch I ended up using the second scroll button
    It is a physical switch by default because it needs special USB commands which are not handled by the Linux kernel's input interface. I believe you can get some more functionality out of that button with revoco. (never used it). I use the search button as a middle click.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nrwilk View Post
    Heya everyone.

I'm looking at getting a new mouse, and was recommended the MX Revolution.

I just wanted to ask whether btnx works consistently and well enough with them for me to justify getting an MX Revolution. Does it?

I don't need ALL the buttons to work. I'm mostly looking for a comfortable feel and a FAST, precise scrollwheel. Other buttons are pretty much bonuses. Also, I'd like the side scroll wheel to work as well because if it didn't, that'd just be a waste.

Thank you!
    btnx first started as a program for MX Revolution only and has been designed with that in mind. I can certainly recommend the mouse. As for the software, you'll need to get an answer from someone other than the developer, biased as I am . That said, it works well for me and my MX Revolution. btnx should work well on Feisty.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just wanted to add that btnx works like a charm on Gutsy 32-bit, about to try 64-bit.
    Mine ---Dell Latitude D820 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T7400, 3GB
    G/f's --- Dell Studio 15 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T8400, 4GB, intel GMA Xeleventybillion.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d View Post
    Just wanted to add that btnx works like a charm on Gutsy 32-bit, about to try 64-bit.
    Good to hear! Might slap it on my laptop in a few days when it is officially released.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by techstop View Post
    Thanks for the nice software! I almost have it working perfectly with my Logitech VX Revolution. However two issues;

2. Forward and back works fine in Firefox, and back works fine in Nautilus, but forward activates the right-click menu in Nautilus but doesn't go forward.
    Are you using the Alt+Left and Alt+Right for back and forward? KEY_LEFTALT+KEY_RIGHT, KEY_LEFTALT+KEY_LEFT
    Last edited by daou; October 12th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast