Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

when i use the top thumbutton for forward in firefox, it goes forward, but also left clicks, which is quite odd.

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

/etc/init.d/btnx: line 34: /lib/init/vars.sh: No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1

I looked through files, but I don't see where vars.sh gets created and placed at /lib/init. Not sure if I can do anything about this or not.

If I try to execute with "./btnx" (without the quotes) I get:
    Error opening the uinput device.
    Make sure you have loaded the uinput module (modprobe uinput): No such file or directory

However, an lsmod shows me:
    Module Size Used by
    uinput 7744 0

Do I need to reboot, or restart X? Confused at the moment. Thanks for your help.
    The first part about vars.sh is no problem. Its trying to launch the init script. You could comment out the parts "/etc/init.d/btnx stop|start" to suppress the error but its not necessary.

The uinput problem needs code changes. Apparently your system uses a different path for the uinput module file, and this means its probably different for the event files as well. In the next update (probably coming in a day or so), I'll fix the necessary parts so the program looks for uinput and the event file in more distro specific locations.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Originally Posted by Bedpan.ca
    I was just wondering why the left and right tilt scroll buttons repeat themselves when you hold them in.
    This is a hardware feature, not something that will readily change behavior through software. And since the button-press is a type 1 event, you don't get a separate release signal, so you can't determine if the button is being held, but it repeats the original signal as if the button were pressed multiple times.
    Thats exactly right. The repeat delay should be long enough so it won't be a problem.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

I finally got the output from my MX 600 laser mouse. I had to run the hexdump off of the live CD.

Here's the gory details:
    Excellent. Thanks for taking the time. I will include MX-600 support in the next update.
    You mentioned you were using evdev and other possible hacks for the MX600? This could interfere with btnx (especially if the event file isn't getting any input from the mouse). You should probably try to get the mouse to as much of a default state as possible.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

when i use the top thumbutton for forward in firefox, it goes forward, but also left clicks, which is quite odd.

any ideas?
    Have you used any other methods or howtos to try to get additional functionality from the mouse? This will have the effect of sending extra unwanted events.
    Also, you can post your configuration for that button so I can check it.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Wow, this really kicks ***. I set up my mx revolution with the old configuration method before. It worked, but it took a pretty long time to get it like I wanted it to.
    Now I just installed btnx and switched the back/forward button functionality with the top scroll wheel functionality, and everything is like I want it to be. Really nice!

There is one problem though. When I press the forward button, it does indeed to the right action, but it also makes a menu show. The same menu you get if you right-click on the title bar of a window. What's up with that?
    Here's the conf for that button:

# Thumb button back.
    # Does an Alt+Left. Ex. Firefox forward
    Button
    rawcode = 0x01011300
    type = 0
    keycode = KEY_LEFT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT
    EndButton

Edit: I just noticed someone else is having almost the same problem. Well, at least I provided the config.
    Last edited by Akegata; June 1st, 2007 at 09:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, this really kicks ***. I set up my mx revolution with the old configuration method before. It worked, but it took a pretty long time to get it like I wanted it to.
    Now I just installed btnx and switched the back/forward button functionality with the top scroll wheel functionality, and everything is like I want it to be. Really nice!

There is one problem though. When I press the forward button, it does indeed to the right action, but it also makes a menu show. The same menu you get if you right-click on the title bar of a window. What's up with that?
    I'm glad you like it. I'm not getting this problem on my MX Revolution. Is your mouse still configured according to the MX Revolution howto?
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    I'm glad you like it. I'm not getting this problem on my MX Revolution. Is your mouse still configured according to the MX Revolution howto?
    Nope. I reinstalled ubuntu from scratch (my hdd died), so the only thing I have done mouse configuration wise is to install btnx.

It seems like ubuntu maps the thumb buttons by itself. I get the same behaviour from them (except the back/forward functionality) when I turn off btnx.
    How can I turn this off? I can't seem to find any settings anywhere controlling this.
    Last edited by Akegata; June 1st, 2007 at 01:46 PM.

Beans

Daou, this is an absolutely fantastic program that should be included with Ubuntu. It's straightforward and easy to do, and makes my MXrev fully functional. You even got the side scroller to change views in Beryl. Before I only had mouse 1 and 2 working. Ubuntu devs: I hope you're reading this.

I was going to do it the long way from the old MX rev thread, but that type of thing usually gives me slews of errors, so I decided to wait on this when I saw your post announcing it. (Every console command i make in Linux has a ~20% of giving me an error, so something with a bunch of confusing commands was definitely going to mess things up) Glad I made that decision.

Setting the search button to middle click by default was a great touch; that's what I have it set to in windows. I think I had to use the uberoptions hack to make that work.

One issue though:

Quote Originally Posted by Akegata View Post

Here's the conf for that button:

# Thumb button back.
    # Does an Alt+Left. Ex. Firefox forward
    Button
    rawcode = 0x01011300
    type = 0
    keycode = KEY_LEFT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT
    EndButton

Edit: I just noticed someone else is having almost the same problem. Well, at least I provided the config.
    I am having the same issue, only they're doing a middle click instead. I'm setting the back and forward thumb buttons to go forward and back in firefox like it does in Windows the way Akegata set it up above, but instead they both middle click instead of doing what they're supposed to or what Ake's does. Weird that we're having different problems doing the same thing. I should note that by default they function properly, but I don't like the default setting.

edit: now that I look at it, I want to say that both of my key commands for it were under mod 1 and 2, not keycode. I'm not at my normal computer right now so I can't check, but that might have something to do with it.
    Last edited by Curlydave; June 1st, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

The first part about vars.sh is no problem. Its trying to launch the init script. You could comment out the parts "/etc/init.d/btnx stop|start" to suppress the error but its not necessary.

The uinput problem needs code changes. Apparently your system uses a different path for the uinput module file, and this means its probably different for the event files as well.
    Let me know if there is any info about Mandriva (2007.1) that I can supply.

In the next update (probably coming in a day or so), I'll fix the necessary parts so the program looks for uinput and the event file in more distro specific locations.
    Waiting with baited breath.

Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast