Page 31 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

I'm running this on Sabayon, and lemme just say... Thank you. I've been trying for months to get this thing working in Sabayon but nothing worked (not even that symlinking thing someone posted a while ago back int he old mx thread) and this worked almost flawlessly. Great job, although I don't think btnx-config works just yet

Anyway, my question is this: I'm using an MX Revolution and I get two scroll events whenever I scroll my wheel, which can be a real pain, like rotating the desktop cube in beryl or scrolling through tabs. I tried using lomoco, but it apparently doesn't support my mouse. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, I'm trying to set the top wheel's left to right to alt-tab, but I instead get some sort of lame window switcher that behaves really funkily, like when I hold down control to do a control alt tab across all workspaces, it instead rotates the cube which I have bound to Ctrl-Alt-Left.

# Top wheel right.
    # Does an Alt+Right. Ex. Firefox forward
    Button
    name = Top wheel right
    rawcode = 0x02000600
    type = 1
    keycode = KEY_TAB
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT
    EndButton

# Top wheel left.
    # Does an Alt+Left. Ex. Firefox back
    Button
    name = Top wheel left
    rawcode = 0x020006FF
    type = 1
    keycode = KEY_TAB
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTSHIFT
    mod2 = KEY_LEFTALT
    EndButton
    Last edited by Perrako; July 10th, 2007 at 07:01 AM.

Beans

I'm getting this familiar error:
    Code:
    glave@Centipede:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/btnx
    Detected mouse: vxrevo  Vendor=046d Product=c518
    Device and event handler detection complete.
    -Using event: event2
    Error opening button event file descriptor"event2": No such file or directory
    As in previous posts, my event2 is missing from /dev/input even though the others are present. This is on a laptop, I have tried other howtos before. I have went back and undid all my previous work at this, but this error is still persisting. I see in previous posts that removing the udev rules fixed this problem for those individuals, but doing so for myself has yielded no such luck.

My xorg.conf is currently:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option              "Buttons"       "3"
    EndSection
    Any direction?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

btnx crash when my mouse loose bt sync (batteries ran out)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

can i just say, this works flawlessly with my mx revolution. brilliant!

Beans

Hey, just wanted to follow up with my previous issues.

1) I got btnx_config installed under sabayon, but I had to create a folder named /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/apps, since it didn't exist by default and was stopping the installer.

2) I fiddled with btnx a lot more before installing btnx-3.0 to try and get the alt tabbing and stuff working, and it seems it behaves a little weirdly, like not letting me map ctrl alt click or ctrl alt u to my side buttons. I haven't had a chance to test this in btnx 3.0 because...

3) When I try and go through the detect buttons bit, it lets me detect a button and add it, but when I hit okay, the main window doesn't show back up. Btnx just closes. Am I doing this wrong or just crazy?

4) Also, I'm still getting two scroll wheel events, and lomoco doesn't recognize this mouse as being a valid logitech mouse.

Thanks,
    perrako

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Perrako View Post
    Hey, just wanted to follow up with my previous issues.

1) I got btnx_config installed under sabayon, but I had to create a folder named /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/apps, since it didn't exist by default and was stopping the installer.
    I'll fix the install script in the next update to make sure all the directories exist.

2) I fiddled with btnx a lot more before installing btnx-3.0 to try and get the alt tabbing and stuff working, and it seems it behaves a little weirdly, like not letting me map ctrl alt click or ctrl alt u to my side buttons. I haven't had a chance to test this in btnx 3.0 because...

3) When I try and go through the detect buttons bit, it lets me detect a button and add it, but when I hit okay, the main window doesn't show back up. Btnx just closes. Am I doing this wrong or just crazy?
    I'm not getting these problems. And there shouldn't be any reason for btnx-config to close after pressing "OK". Is btnx-config still running (try running "ps -e | grep btnx-config") after the window disappears?

4) Also, I'm still getting two scroll wheel events, and lomoco doesn't recognize this mouse as being a valid logitech mouse.
    First of all, why are you trying to bind your scroll wheel to anything? Does it not work? btnx does not stop events that xserver already recognizes (scroll wheel). You should only use buttons that do nothing with btnx.

In btnx-0.2.x you should leave the wheel scroll fields commented. In btnx-0.3.x, just leave the "Enabled" unchecked.

Or are you getting the "multiple events detected" warning during button detection?

Thanks,
    perrako
    No problem

Oh, and are you still having the problem with the beryl rotating on wheel tilt? There could be a couple of things at play. One, you might have accidentally scrolled the wheel when tilting it. I do this all the time on the MX Revo. Or, it could be that Beryl already binds the tilt to cube rotation. Then it's just a matter of correcting the Beryl setting. Again, btnx cannot stop another program from handling a mouse button event if they insist on doing it. The wheel tilts could be fixed with a simple xmodmap command, if Beryl is recognizing them.
    Also, there is a problem with the wheel tilt handling, something that btnx cannot fix. I think this is what is causing your Alt-Tab to behave strangely. The tilts are relative events, not actual up and down button presses. This means, if you hold down the tilt, it will keep repeating the Alt-Tab. Your mouse is continuously sending these signals, and btnx kindly does what the mouse wants. So you should only bind one-shot commands to the tilts, like Alt-Left and Alt-Right to go forward and backward in Firefox etc. (not ones that you need to hold down the button for).
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by visik7 View Post
    btnx crash when my mouse loose bt sync (batteries ran out)
    This is something that should be fixed in the future. Not a top priority at the moment, however. btnx doesn't know if your mouse is unplugged, and tries to keep reading events from it. This causes it to crash. Also, there is no autostart when a detected mouse is plugged in. Another thing that should be done, sometime in the future.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by glave View Post
    I'm getting this familiar error:
    Code:
    glave@Centipede:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/btnx
    Detected mouse: vxrevo  Vendor=046d Product=c518
    Device and event handler detection complete.
    -Using event: event2
    Error opening button event file descriptor"event2": No such file or directory
    As in previous posts, my event2 is missing from /dev/input even though the others are present. This is on a laptop, I have tried other howtos before. I have went back and undid all my previous work at this, but this error is still persisting. I see in previous posts that removing the udev rules fixed this problem for those individuals, but doing so for myself has yielded no such luck.

My xorg.conf is currently:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option              "Buttons"       "3"
    EndSection
    Any direction?
    Is this the reason why you said btnx-0.2.x doesn't work? Does btnx-0.3.x still work for you?
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

I fixed a bug in btnx-0.3. It wouldn't recognize MX Revolution's second input handler correctly. The fix will be in 0.3.1, which I will release later.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Ok, I tooled around in btnx-config to see if I could gain more understanding of why it's crashing. 90% of this is likely irrelevant, but I might as well post it anyway.

So, I tried running btnx-config from the command line to see it's output.
    Code:
    Warning: invalid button index reported by buttons_check_index.
    No previous config file at /etc/btnx/btnx_config. No configuration loaded.
    Warning: tree_buttons_empty_store could not get an iter.
    Aborted
    The first three lines I got right as I opened btnx, and the last 2 I got right as I hit ok after detection. Also, after the window closes, btnx-config isn't running anymore.

Now if I run it with the default mxrev configuration file from /etc/btnx/defaults, I get this error:
    Code:
    Warning: invalid button index reported by buttons_check_index.
    Aborted
    I tried also hitting cancel after the button detection to see if maybe that would fix some stuff. Well, it brought me back to the main screen, but that was about it. However, pressing "restart btnx" after pressing the cancel button gives me a different error, regarding to issues with /etc/init.d/btnx, which after make install-generic doesn't show up. If I do a plain ol' make install, I get errors in /etc/init.d/btnx saying "line 34: /lib/init/vars.sh: No such file or directory".

Finally, to top it all off, if I try to use btnx by itself without btnx-config, by copying the default mxrevo config over and running ./btnx, I get:

Code:
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event0
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event1
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event2
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event3
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event4
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event5
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event6
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event7
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event8
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event9
    Opened handler: /dev/input/event10
    Error opening button event file descriptor: No such file or directory

Also, to clarify on the scroll wheel thing; I wasn't binding it in btnx, however, scrolling it both before and after btnx sends two events to the computer, something I tried to rectify with lomoco --no-sms. However, lomoco doesn't seem to recognize my mouse. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the lengthy response,
    perrako

Page 31 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast