Page 110 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1273

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Searching here and googling failed to led me there.

I have btnx installed and working with only one hitch - btnx stops running after some unknown period of inactivity. So every time I come back to the system I have to restart btnx.

My working theory is that when the mouse sits idle, it downshifts to a sleep-like mode, and then btnx can't see it and stops running. Here are the details. Let me know if there's any other helpful info I can provide. Caveat: new to Linux, so keep things simple for me.

distro: Linux Mint 5 (so Ubuntu Hardy inside)
    mouse: Logitech MX1000 [bluetooth]
    btnx: 0.4.9

To test this, I ran btnx from a terminal and left it open. Here's the annotated output:

michael@Marvin:~$ sudo btnx
    [sudo] password for michael:
    btnx: uinput modprobed successfully.
    btnx: Opening config file: /etc/btnx/btnx_config_MX1000
    btnx: revoco not started. Disabled in configuration.
    btnx: No startup errors.
    <now leave system for a while and come back to find this>
    btnx: Handler read failed.
    btnx: Exiting...

So no errors anywhere, just a process that is feeling unloved and unused so it takes its ball and goes home.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Is there some Linux trick I can do to keep the process alive?

Thanks.
    --Michael

Beans

To turn middle button into a double-click (thanks to prior threads and the btnx website for providing this info):

Here is what I did with a new Ubuntu install on my Sony PCG-K33 laptop (I've said good riddance to Windows, but I sure do like that middle-button double click on my old logitech mouse):

1. Put the following lines to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list file (example here is for "hardy" distribution):

Double click on the file "sources.list", and a gui will pop up whereby the following can be added to the "Third Party Software" tab:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/daou/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/daou/ubuntu hardy main

2. Open Terminal and run the following command to install btnx and btnx-config:
    $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install btnx

3. Once installed, run btnx-config from Applications->System Tools->btnx
    4. Click "detect mouse & buttons", then Click "press start to detect buttons"
    5. Click middle button until bar fills up, name it "Middle Button", then click "+ADD"
    6. Click on the "Buttons" tab, then "Middle Button" in left pane
    7. Check "enabled", and change Keycode to "BTN_LEFT"
    8. Close btnx
    9. Use an undocumented feature in btnx to make make the button a double click:
    a) open the configuration file /etc/btnx/btnx_config_Default
    b) change the type value of the middle button to "type = 1"; this makes the double click
    10. Open btnx again, and click "Restart btnx"
    Voila, middle button is now double click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just installed btnx/btnx-config in Hardy from your repo. The installation went fine but the configuration didn't.

Just how long is one expected to hold each button before the progress bar fills up?

I gave up after it wasn't filling up after several minutes holding s single button (and my hand couldn't take it anymore).

Then I had an idea... start all over but instead of having the mouse on the desktop, just hold it in my hand and press the button. btnx-config detected my button press and now I had the luxury of being able to move when I got tired as long as I held the button as the laser wasn't detecting motion due to my not actually having the mouse on a surface.

The end result of my bright idea ... nothing.

The problem was the same either way. 7-8 minutes is a bit long for detection of a single button is it not?

With either of the above methods, the progress bar jumped to 1/4 of the way and never moved beyond that.

I'm running Hardy i386.

The mouse is a Logitech MX Revolution (which naturally works like it should under Windows with the Setpoint drivers. - I only point this out so that you will know that the hardware itself is OK).

Thanks.
    Last edited by angrykeyboarder; July 29th, 2008 at 05:21 AM.
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as I can remember you don't hold the button to detect it you press it repeatedly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder View Post
    I just installed btnx/btnx-config in Hardy from your repo. The installation went fine but the configuration didn't.

Just how long is one expected to hold each button before the progress bar fills up?

I gave up after it wasn't filling up after several minutes holding s single button (and my hand couldn't take it anymore).

Then I had an idea... start all over but instead of having the mouse on the desktop, just hold it in my hand and press the button. btnx-config detected my button press and now I had the luxury of being able to move when I got tired as long as I held the button as the laser wasn't detecting motion due to my not actually having the mouse on a surface.

The end result of my bright idea ... nothing.

The problem was the same either way. 7-8 minutes is a bit long for detection of a single button is it not?

With either of the above methods, the progress bar jumped to 1/4 of the way and never moved beyond that.

I'm running Hardy i386.

The mouse is a Logitech MX Revolution (which naturally works like it should under Windows with the Setpoint drivers. - I only point this out so that you will know that the hardware itself is OK).

Thanks.
    ok, first I have to laugh because I did that for some time until I made the connection...

press the button several times, each time it will nock the bar one chunk.

... and promise not to tell anyone I did that too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by GSZX1337 View Post
    Ugh, I can't seem to do anything right! I got btnx-config to detect my buttons and I set my preferred key combinations (Alt-Left and Alt-Right), I set the Event type to Key Combination, but the buttons won't do anything in Firefox. Before you ask, yes I did check enable.
    I am having many issues with btnx + FF3, FF does what it wants with my buttons no matter what I tell btnx to do.

I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, what FF is doing wrong, etc... but some day when it annoys me enough I will look into it further

Beans

Hi all,

Having read through millions of replies I cannot find a fix to this problem. I've installed btnx in Ubuntu and am trying to configure the buttons with my Logitech MX1000 mouse. Note: before finding btnx, I tried xbindkeys and xvkbd which I couldn't get working, and have (hopefully) removed both of these.

The main problem I'm having is that the scroll wheel (up/down) is no longer working properly - instead it acts as a back/forward button in Firefox (except when there is no page to go back/forward to, then it scrolls OK).

In btnx-config, I have set the keycodes to KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN (because KEY_SCROLLUP/DOWN didn't seem to work). The scrolling side of things worked perfectly until I messed around to get the other buttons working

The lines added in my xorg.conf are as follows:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "MX1000"
     Driver     "mouse"
     Option     "CorePointer"
     Option     "Protocol"        "evdev"
     Option     "Dev Name"        "Logitech USB Receiver"
     Option     "Buttons"         "12"
     Option     "ZAxisMapping"    "8 9"
     Option     "Resolution"      "800"
     Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
    EndSection
    Using xev I have confirmed that scroll up/down are buttons 8 and 9.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Will

Beans

It's really not advisable to map ANY buttons to your scroll-wheel. Gnome already knows what to do with them by default. I suggest that you click on "disable", and try it then. If that doesn't solve the problem, please repost in this thread, and we'll see what we can come up with.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blazoner View Post
    It's really not advisable to map ANY buttons to your scroll-wheel. Gnome already knows what to do with them by default. I suggest that you click on "disable", and try it then. If that doesn't solve the problem, please repost in this thread, and we'll see what we can come up with.
    Thanks for your reply. I've disabled both the scroll-up and scroll-down keys in btnx-config, as well as the back/forward buttons (in case they were interfering) I've also commented out the whole MX1000 section that I copy/pasted into xorg.conf and made sure that xbindkeys has been fully removed. Still, scrolling up acts as the BACK key and scrolling down acts as the FORWARD key

Is there a way to get GNOME to reset its mouse config or something? Before, the scroll worked fine and the 2 buttons on the side of my mouse worked as the back/forward (like in XP). My touchpad scrolls bars also go back/forward.

Any advice you can provide would be great, this is driving me mad!

Beans

I've now completely removed btnx and btnx-config - still not working though. Strange thing is that the other binds I setup in btnx-config (such as the tilt buttons for volume control) still work so I guess something is lingering which is interfering?

Page 110 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast