Page 101 of 128 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1273

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by oni5115 View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but is there a list of mouses that are known to work with this? I'd like to know if it works with Logitech MX 1000, since I'd like to be able to configure my extra buttons so I can set them to other keyboard buttons (like ctrl, shift, pgUp, etc.)

It would be so nice to be able to do that for setting hotkeys for games like WoW, and Vent... the one thing I truly miss from Windows.
    I'm using a Logitech MX1000 mouse too, working fine with btnx. I don'y have all buttons configured, only the lateral buttons on the wheel which I use to change workspaces, but I think it has to work great with the other buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, after my last post I eventually found that

Code:
    export XAUTHORITY='/home/username/.Xauthority'
    is a better way of retrieving missing X window support after first start of btnx.

Put this in your script file along with export DISPLAY=':0.0' and your mouse button should execute X apps every time.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by pototo View Post
    I'm using a Logitech MX1000 mouse too, working fine with btnx. I don'y have all buttons configured, only the lateral buttons on the wheel which I use to change workspaces, but I think it has to work great with the other buttons.
    Hmmm... how did you get it to work? I'm using 7.10, at the moment and tried to install it from the gutsy repos, and that worked. However, when running the btnx-config it doesn't seem to actually find any event handler. I click the button, wait 5 seconds, then move my mouse around and press all the buttons but get nothing. =/

Note: I have run through the following FAQ in the past trying to get my mouse to work properly.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MX...9%7C%281000%29

EDIT: I did some digging in the trouble shooting sections of the manual. Figured out it was my xorg.conf file, since I had customized it to use evdev as per the above linked guide. Fixed up my xorg.conf and poof, issues resolved.

Still working on setting up the buttons, but should be able to do that now. ^.^
    Last edited by oni5115; May 5th, 2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Figured it out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by odierick View Post
    Well, after my last post I eventually found that

Code:
    export XAUTHORITY='/home/username/.Xauthority'
    is a better way of retrieving missing X window support after first start of btnx.

Put this in your script file along with export DISPLAY=':0.0' and your mouse button should execute X apps every time.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks odierick for documenting how you solved the issue. I might use some of this in a newer version of btnx to export X env. variables correctly.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

It seems like I found a solution for "lomoco (and other similar tools) not working in hardy" problem.

I have been used lomoco to disable the smart-scrolling function and was disappointed when noticed, that this trick was not working any more. After a little research I found out that lsusb was also almost fully non-functional (only -t option was giving any output).

This lead to little bit of searching around the web and I found something like this.

After a little bit of tinkering I got this piece from there
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", \
    NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0644"
    and added it as a separate udev rule - I made it as '/etc/udev/rules.d/50-libusb.rules'

Then just restart udev and here you have it - lsusb works as it should and lomoco works too.

Only one thing remains though - I had not yet managed to add this 'lomoco --no-sms' command to some elegant place to fire up. Until now it has been in '/etc/rc.local' but it would be perfect, if it could be added to '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules' somehow to be initiated on hotplugging...
    Last edited by tim71; May 5th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    Only one thing remains though - I had not yet managed to add this 'lomoco --no-sms' command to some elegant place to fire up. Until now it has been in '/etc/rc.local' but it would be perfect, if it could be added to '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules' somehow to be initiated on hotplugging...
    Some of this could be integrated into btnx, the automatic exec and udev rules. However, it sounds to me like this is a bug in Hardy (especially if tools as fundamental as lsusb aren't working), and if it is, it would not be a good idea to place workarounds for it in btnx. Have you thought about filing a bug report?
    Last edited by daou; May 5th, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    However, it sounds to me like this is a bug in Hardy (especially if tools as fundamental as lsusb aren't working), and if it is, it would not be a good idea to place workarounds for it in btnx. Have you thought about filing a bug report?
    As I understand, it is not a bug, but just leaving the (deprecated) 'CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS' option unactivated when kernel was compiled.

http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kerne...69/347220.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ke...msg162394.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=CONFI...&start=20&sa=N

P.S. This workaround is not "being used in btnx" - I added the separate udev rule on the global system level, that has nothing to do with btnx. However this lomoco thing would be really nice to be working on hotplugging with btnx. Maybe I just did not bother to tinker enough with this lomoco/btnx udev "integration" - it just did not work when I added this action in /'etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules' although btnx itself stopped and started as it should.
    Last edited by tim71; May 5th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    As I understand, it is not a bug, but just leaving the (deprecated) 'CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS' option unactivated when kernel was compiled.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ke...msg162394.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=CONFI...&start=20&sa=N

P.S. This workaround is not "being used in btnx" - I added the separate udev rule on the global system level, that has nothing to do with btnx. However this lomoco thing would be really nice to be working on hotplugging with btnx. Maybe I just did not bother to tinker enough with this lomoco/btnx udev "integration" - it just did not work when I added this action in /'etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules' although btnx itself stopped and started as it should.
    I suppose I could add an option to the advanced settings to fire up lomoco, either when btnx starts or during hotplugging. This would require the udev rule for usb-device at least for Hardy users. I'll think about this.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

I suppose I could add an option to the advanced settings to fire up lomoco, either when btnx starts or during hotplugging. This would require the udev rule for usb-device at least for Hardy users. I'll think about this.
    It would need the additional options - lomoco has many functions as command line options.

And I would like to point out again: this lomoco udev-integrating is not Hardy-specific thing - I had this command in rc.local before (and it works there), but it's obvious, that it could use a better place for execution - especially considering the hotplugging option.
    Last edited by tim71; May 5th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

...However, it sounds to me like this is a bug in Hardy (especially if tools as fundamental as lsusb aren't working), and if it is, it would not be a good idea to place workarounds for it in btnx. Have you thought about filing a bug report?
    If this issue could be considered as a bug, then... someone else already has issued a bugreport.
    Last edited by tim71; May 6th, 2008 at 10:51 AM.

Page 101 of 128 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast