Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logitech gamepad bindings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Logitech gamepad bindings

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    whats a symlink and how can I create one?oh by the way I do have a js0 file in my input folder but you have confused me if its in a different directory then that means the program key2joy can't be used right?
    The command ln can make it, it's like a "shortcut" one location points to another.

So if you do
    sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0

That (should I think) make a link so when joy2key looks for /dev/js0, it will find it, and will use /dev/input/js0.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    The command ln can make it, it's like a "shortcut" one location points to another.

So if you do
    sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0

That (should I think) make a link so when joy2key looks for /dev/js0, it will find it, and will use /dev/input/js0.
    It worked!!!!!!Now I have a new error but I think its a normal one:

Now I have to figure out what target its talking about,is it revering to js0?Of course now that it worked in the terminal I could actually try the executable.I may need to restart my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is a kernel module you have to have to use your joystick, and that's whatever driver it requires.

I forget what the one I needed was called, but if you have a logitech usb dual action, yours will be the same.
    Somewhere on this forum, there was a list of all of those- I started this thread because that covered passing controller input to programs that use it, not binding it to keys. As most games and stuff, in my experience, don't support controller input anyway, key and mouse binding is essential.

Still, to do any of this, you have to find that thread- I couldn't... and if you find that, reposting a link here would be helpful. This thread is here to cover key and mouse binding after those instructions have been followed.

I think my driver was "adi"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    There is a kernel module you have to have to use your joystick, and that's whatever driver it requires.

I forget what the one I needed was called, but if you have a logitech usb dual action, yours will be the same.
    Somewhere on this forum, there was a list of all of those- I started this thread because that covered passing controller input to programs that use it, not binding it to keys. As most games and stuff, in my experience, don't support controller input anyway, key and mouse binding is essential.

Still, to do any of this, you have to find that thread- I couldn't... and if you find that, reposting a link here would be helpful. This thread is here to cover key and mouse binding after those instructions have been followed.

I think my driver was "adi"
    Ok I am going to look for the driver btw I have a Rumblepad 2 does this mean I have a different driver then you?

Beans
    Distro

Hey, that thing looks nice

You might have a different driver.... I don't know. That thread I was talking about is hiding somewhere on this forum, and it has a huge list of gamepads and their drivers... ...and I still can't find it. I'd google your gamepad's name with the words Linux and driver and see what it gives you.

It would be nice if it was a bit easier to set gamepads up- if the drivers are there, I don't see why this process should be so complicated.

Is there somewhere to put feature requests for ubuntu? I'd like a unified gamepad manager that takes care of drivers, profiles, and key/mouse binding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

FWIW I have a Rumblepad 2 (wired) and it's worked in Feisty from the start - it didn't need any sort of installation. However, I probably had it plugged in when I installed Feisty, and the installation may have picked it up and installed the driver anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, man. That makes sense.

I guess when Gutsy comes out I'll try to make note of that for my install.
    You know, people reinstall Linux a lot more than they do windows, but it's funny-
    the difference between keeping up with the most awesome thing out there and jumping between junkers like a frog jumps between lily pads
    What's worse is that people pay money for those things. Poor people.

...Anyway- I'm going to look for the feature request thingy, to ask for:

an ubuntu sponsored xwinwrap plugin for compiz fusion
    colemak keyboard layout installed by default in ubuntu
    easy to use gamepad bindings and driver manager.

Anyone want me to add anything?

Beans
    Distro

Okay. I'm resurrecting this thread. I'm trying to get rid of my windows partition soon, and getting this gamepad working in Linux is the last thing stopping me.

I ran a sudo apt-get install joy2key.
    I ran a sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0 (I may have that backwards here, but I typed it into the console correctly.

Now when I run joy2key, it tells me "Must specify a target!"
    And when I run js2mouse, it says "Error when opening mouse fifo for writing : Permission denied"
    So I type sudo js2mouse, and get "Number of axes : 6
    Number of buttons : 12
    Driver version : 131328
    Joystick name : Logitech Logitech Dual Action" --and then it doesn't do anything.

Anyone out there that could point me to a solution?

Beans
    Distro

I have found something I think may work. I promised to post what I found here for you guys, to not leave you in the dark if you had subscribed to this thread.

Forget joy2key and those. Google QJoyPad. Hopefully it works as needed. I'm going to try it out now.

Beans

Ok, I've read the above - but can someone tell me how to just get the pad installed on Ubuntu 8.10? None of the above makes any sense to me - maybe it will if and when I can get it installed. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12