Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    This is such a childish way of looking at it, you people really show off how immature you are when you say things like this. Cars and cigarettes are almost nothing alike except that they pollute. It is absolutely irrational to ask someone to give up their car, it is NOT irrational to ask someone to stop smoking in public.

1) The fumes from cars are not known carcinogens.
    2) Cars are an essential source of livelihood for a lot of people, without a car a lot of people would be out on the street.
    3) You own a car, and you drive it, I'm willing to bet.
    1) this is complete twaddle! are you saying pollution from cars is safe? ok, give kids with asthma a hard time is alright with your exhaust fumes!

2) so some people need a car for work, and all the pedestrians and cyclist who want to keep fit, or don't have a car, shouldn't complain, only non-smokers can complain about smoke. if you compain about car drivers you are going to put them out in the street!

3)me, personally, i don't have a car, have no need for one, but i do smoke, but don't worry, i wouldn't presume to light up in front of you, or any other non-smoker, though i wish they'd have the same respect for me when they drive past pushing out exhaust fumes.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    1) this is complete twaddle! are you saying pollution from cars is safe? ok, give kids with asthma a hard time is alright with your exhaust fumes!

2) so some people need a car for work, and all the pedestrians and cyclist who want to keep fit, or don't have a car, shouldn't complain, only non-smokers can complain about smoke. if you compain about car drivers you are going to put them out in the street!

3)me, personally, i don't have a car, have no need for one, but i do smoke, but don't worry, i wouldn't presume to light up in front of you, or any other non-smoker, though i wish they'd have the same respect for me when they drive past pushing out exhaust fumes.
    1) I suffered from a series of lung problems when I was younger because of my parents smoking, car fumes didn't bother me a bit. Now, I'm not saying they're healthy, but AFAIK my car doesn't require a sticker warning that the fumes may cause cancer... so I'm thinking on the danger scale car-fumes rank sharply below cigarettes.

2) No, but if you BAN car driving, you will put people on the street. pedestrians, cyclists, whatever, have every right to bitch about traffic and all those other things they have to put up with. In fact it's probably because of these people that we are starting to see things like cars running on frenchfry oil.

3) There are only certain places most cars can go (roads) safely, walking along side a road while complaining about car-fumes, is a lot like walking right up next to a person with a lit cigarette and then complaining about the smoke from it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Certain compounds of petrol are known or possible human carcinogens such as benzene and 1,3-butadiene.

Unleaded fuel is also more of a hazard than leaded fuel if we look past the lead issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Im tryin to quit smokin myself... Been 4 days now without a cigarette lol but this is an alright law
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    1) I suffered from a series of lung problems when I was younger because of my parents smoking, car fumes didn't bother me a bit. Now, I'm not saying they're healthy, but AFAIK my car doesn't require a sticker warning that the fumes may cause cancer... so I'm thinking on the danger scale car-fumes rank sharply below cigarettes.

2) No, but if you BAN car driving, you will put people on the street. pedestrians, cyclists, whatever, have every right to bitch about traffic and all those other things they have to put up with. In fact it's probably because of these people that we are starting to see things like cars running on frenchfry oil.

3) There are only certain places most cars can go (roads) safely, walking along side a road while complaining about car-fumes, is a lot like walking right up next to a person with a lit cigarette and then complaining about the smoke from it.
    hmm, sorry to hear about your lung problems, and i hope everything is fine with you now, but if you think car fumes are so safe have a look here:
    http://www.nutramed.com/environment/carschemicals.htm

unfortuately in my country, they didn't have some foresight, and actually built the pedestrian walkways parallel with the roads, how inconsiderate of me to complain, i should stick to walking 'in the middle of nowhere' to get where i'm going!

smoking is slowly being banned throughout the western world, but let's not get hypocritical about it. smoking fumes are bad, ok, car fumes are worse, and the sooner the internal combustion engine is banned the better, people who need transport can always buy an electric car, i'm sure the prices will drop if demand for them becomes a necessity.

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

hmm, sorry to hear about your lung problems, and i hope everything is fine with you now, but if you think car fumes are so safe have a look here:
    http://www.nutramed.com/environment/carschemicals.htm

unfortuately in my country, they didn't have some foresight, and actually built the pedestrian walkways parallel with the roads, how inconsiderate of me to complain, i should stick to walking 'in the middle of nowhere' to get where i'm going!

smoking is slowly being banned throughout the western world, but let's not get hypocritical about it. smoking fumes are bad, ok, car fumes are worse, and the sooner the internal combustion engine is banned the better, people who need transport can always buy an electric car, i'm sure the prices will drop if demand for them becomes a necessity.
    Hybrids are becoming the norm here, they still burn gas, but not nearly as much. I'm hoping on Hydrogen in the future.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would imagine that big oil and the auto industry have caused more death and misery than tobacco ever will. I wish that people would spread their indignation around and realize that, being mortal, everything is bad for you.

Beans

people who need transport can always buy an electric car, i'm sure the prices will drop if demand for them becomes a necessity.
    Problem is that you need to charge those batteries. That power could come from coal or nuclear powered plants which is just as bad if not worse. Then there is the issue of the batteries themselves.

We need to look somewhere else instead of electric cars...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Problem is that you need to charge those batteries. That power could come from coal or nuclear powered plants which is just as bad if not worse. Then there is the issue of the batteries themselves.

We need to look somewhere else instead of electric cars...
    totally agree, and i think as the world's oil reserves dwindle and petrol becomes more and more expensive, it is only a matter of time before governments start putting real R & D money into researching alternatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

They have banned smoking in many public places in Italy too, and I personally am glad that they did. Myself a non-smoker, I never used to be bothered by smoke in bars/restaurants, but now that they are smoke free I notice that my eyes and nose get irritated in somke filled places. I also like not smelling like cigarette smoke when I come home.

Don't mean to get too political, but it is big step for a government to shift its perspective from smoker's rights to non-smoker's rights. I wish the same thing could happen in terms of sustainability. A move to acknowledge that preserving and slowing the degeration of the environment is in everybody's interests, would be great! Even just doing small things, like having efficient lightbulbs, 3 degrees less on the thermostat during winter, buying more from your local farmers market/co-op instead of the super market, or one new plant in the window of each home, can make a big difference! We need to think about the long run!
    Last edited by ncappel1; May 26th, 2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast