Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does anybody remember NC in MS-DOS ?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

does anybody remember NC in MS-DOS ?...

If you remember the old days of MS-DOS, you would miss Norton Commander file manager. The two blue columns where you'd select files on one side and copy them to the next side, only by pressing F5, no typing any commands !

and guess what! I've found Norton Commander for Ubuntu, it's called Midnight Commander. You may ask why would I use Midnight Commander while we have other grpahical file managers (i.e. Nautilus and Konqueror). Midnight Commander is a semi-graphical file manager, which means it runs under a Terminal window in "text mode" and we all know I am in love with text-mode programs like Image magic for editing images in text mode.

(aah I remember DOS days again, at those times I had to run the Mouse program before NC to enable mouse mode . I have such a Nostalgic feeling about MS DOS right now, somebody give me a hug please !)

Read more on Digg

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: does anybody remember NC in MS-DOS ?...

LOL!

If I remember right, Midnight Commander is the default file manager in DSL (Damn Small Linux). I almost killed myself trying to figure it out.

If all the cool games weren't on DOS during the 80's / 90's, I probably wouldn't have gotten into computers much. But, they were, so I learned how to navigate around in DOS, and eventually how to open up files to mess with them.

I still use DOS batch files at work to this day (guess I can't call them DOS batch files if I use them in Windows, though...LOL!), but it's such a pain in the butt to code archaic DOS batch files. And while WinScript Host has made some progress, it's still annoying trying to code it unless you have a syntax highlighters.

It's really stupid they don't make MS Notepad a fully fledged programmer's text editor. I mean, Windows lets you use DOS and WSH to automate stuff, but (by default) all you get it this stupid MS Notepad program that doesn't have any intellisense, or syntax highlighting, or line numbering... to try to code your programs with. So, it's trial and error. What a pain.

Wow, I just went from nostalgia to hatred in less than 3.5 paragraphs! Heh, that's kinda the way I've been feeling about Windows lately (I have to use it at work, but don't really like to now that I'm using Ubuntu at home).
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

he he ... yeah me too I started computer with a car game when I was like 5 years old.

I was not allowed to touch computer when I was a kid unless my dad be there , they used to say computer is harmfull for kids , i think monitors were harmfull at that time...

at that time I didnt know english too, I learnt English alphabet so I can type
    D:
    CD Car
    carega.com

I remember I tried to copy what my father does ... I learn to type all the keys except ":"
    and I took me many days to figure out I should press Shift + : h
    ha ha ...so I learnt playing car game whithout my father .
    and I played it all the itme when my parents were away (as most forbiden rule thing which I could break at that time in my age)

do you remember games at that time had several exe files
    carcga.com
    carega.com
    carvga.com

each one was for a specfic graphic mode... I missed those days

ah too much nostalogy !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

by the way , can we use MC like a ftp manager (like gFTP) ?
    for example copy files from hard disk to website on internet ?
    if you know please tell me

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I still have Norton Commander....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    I still have Norton Commander....
    on ms dos ? or in command prompt ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I never used Norton Commander, but I loved PC-tools and X-tree Gold. I might give MC a go for old time's sake.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by medya View Post
    on ms dos ? or in command prompt ?
    DOS 6.22 on an old Packard Bell 486. I don't use it much any more as DosBox works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ms-dos Rocks

EDIT: neat how the forums uncapitalized my post!
    Last edited by matthinckley; June 1st, 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forums uncapitalized my post!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I can remember lemmings (still got the CD somewhere). I remember I had to get one of my sisters to start it. (well who expects a three year old to be able to spell lemmings? I could open things in windows (3.11) alright though! I can vaguely rmember a list of passwords stuck to the wall.
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast