Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Dells ARE HERE!!!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Dells ARE HERE!!!

I ordered the base model of laptop with only a screen upgrade to the WXGA+ screen, and the 85WHR battery. I just plan on using this for web surfing and getting more familiar with Ubuntu & Linux in general.

I didn't bother getting any of the Ubunutu support packages, but I did get the 3-year warranty. I manage a help desk for a medium-size corporation and find Dell's warranty service to be, generally, very good (so long as you never EVER call them, and always submit requests by email).

I ran one of the earlier versions of Ubuntu (3.xx?) on one of my spare PC's and I'm looking forward to seeing just how well it runs on this laptop. It's supposed to ship on June 7th and arrive sometime between the 12th-14th. The laptop had free 3-5 day shipping. If anyone has any questions they want answered after the laptop has arrived, feel free to PM me, or email me: "patrickjarvi -at- gmail.com". I can take photos too!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

D00mM4r1n3, can you post (in a new thread) a review of the laptop when you get it?

I'm sure your experiences (positive or negative) will inform other people's possible purchases of a Dell Ubuntu notebook.

Beans

I'm planning on taking photos of the packaging and some shots of the screen once it's on, as well as writing up impressions of the initial setup (wireless internet, network-shared printer, and an external monitor). I'll be sure to either create a new thread, or post in an existing thread if there's one already created when i'm ready.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm actually thinking about buying the $600 desktop (with the graphics card upgrade). I'm in need of a new computer, and if i can support linux while doing it, why not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

From the Dell Site:
    An advantage of open source is that it can deliver more reliability and flexibility, as well as faster updates and fixes, all at a lower cost.
    Considering Dell's relationship with Microsoft I'm suprised to read that statement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    Yes!! I don't care if they were priced the same. The mere fact that a major OEM is shipping a computer with pre-installed pre-configured Ubuntu is an AWESOME thing!!
    I totally agree. I don't care about the price difference. I was going to buy a System 76 laptop (might still, will have to wait and see) and that probably would have cost more.

I only hope that they meet or surpass the ~1% estimate and that Microsoft doesn't freak.
    -Martin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by D00mM4r1n3 View Post
    I'm planning on taking photos of the packaging and some shots of the screen once it's on, as well as writing up impressions of the initial setup (wireless internet, network-shared printer, and an external monitor). I'll be sure to either create a new thread, or post in an existing thread if there's one already created when i'm ready.
    It would be really nice if you could write a review of the laptop for fullCircle magazine, which is basically an ubuntu-oriented magazine that just came out recently. you can get in touch with them at their website at www.fullcirclemagazine.org .

One person has actually written a review for the System76 Darter for fullCircle magazine, which will probably show up in the next couple of issues. You can view the notes for the review on a wiki here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/MonthlyReviews (links at the bottom). I think it'd be great to get it into a magazine that is starting to be more widely read.

Issue #1 is going to come out soon, and Issue #2 is mostly planned out by now, but you could probably get it into Issue #3.

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/index.php/topic,72.0.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bsell View Post
    Whoa, you're jumping to conclusions. I pointed out it would be cheaper to take the Vista Inspiron and install Ubuntu on it. You save on shipping and get a better video card. The ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 is fully supported in Linux using the fglrx driver. Shipping the Ubuntu box will probably be around $40 making the total purchase price before tax to be $689. It would be worth the additional $10 to have the video card.

Dell has refunded money for refusing the MS EULA and installing Linux. If you can get the refund for the MS O/S like this gentleman did, then the deal is even better.
    No, it's not. fglrx doesn't have variable overscan on tv-out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm actually really excited for this!! I just got a Dell 2407FPW a few weeks ago, and I was going to build a middle of the road box to throw Feisty on (I'm hooked! Its taken over XP for me soley on the totally customizable UI, a combo of Beryl/gnome/OSX/Vista/and XP all designed by me!!) and i personally like Dells a lot so I think I'm just going to get this with a hardware warentee and see how it goes! I'll report back with a little revew in a week or so once I get it!

Beans
    Hidden!

put that in conjunction with Dell being sold at Wal-mart and you got yourself a winner. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6690171.stm an $80 savings on a $800 or $900 computer... that's a 10% difference. That's going to get people buying them!

"oh wow, it says Dell, and it costs less than windows"
    It's all about people

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast