Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft update is really slow...

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post World of Warcraft update is really slow...

So I finally gave in to the pressure and started playing World of Warcraft a few weeks ago...

I'm enjoying it so far, and running it in Wine is giving me absolutely no problems other than the sound (very) occasionally acting up. Overall it runs very smoothly and it's as though I'm running it natively in Windows, which makes me quite happy.

Today, though, I'm trying to apply the newest updates and the download just seems to be horrendously slow. Initially installing the game and all the updates for the very first time was slow too, but certainly not this slow. I've been downloading for over an hour now and I've only managed to download about 31 of the 276 MB. Furthermore, the downloader tells me "You appear to be behind a firewall", but I don't think I set up a firewall.

So my question is, is there something I can do to speed up the download, or a setting somewhere that will speed it up? Or is this normal and something I'll have to get used to? I'm new to WoW so I don't know, maybe the downloads are always this slow I'm using Kubuntu Dapper, in case that matters.
    Proud Kubuntu user since 6.06 "Dapper" | The Linux Conundrum | Linux User #440899
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Commissioner Pravin Lal, SMAC

Beans

Re: World of Warcraft update is really slow...

Are you behind a Router by chance?

Beans
    Distro

I am yeah, I get wireless internet through a router.
    Proud Kubuntu user since 6.06 "Dapper" | The Linux Conundrum | Linux User #440899
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Commissioner Pravin Lal, SMAC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It's not a wine problem that's for sure. I have many friends who play wow on windows and their downloads are just as slow as mine. Anyways following this part of the guide may help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wo...59c4fc17a295db

(Scroll down a little and you should find it)

Beans

You will need to set up Port Forwarding on the Router according to your Router's instructions for the following Ports.

and

6881 - 6999

These are the ports used by Blizz to get the updates to you both from Blizz Direct and the Shared User Resources. Once forwarded, restart and the Download should come as fast as their are users to share it.

Beans
    Distro

Awesome, I'll check out the guide and try that thing with the router, thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pikestaff View Post
    Furthermore, the downloader tells me "You appear to be behind a firewall", but I don't think I set up a firewall.
    Some routers use a firewall by default while others don't. Most use NAT though, which essentially produces very similar results.

Anyway just do what the others told you. The info in the community howto is also great (I did not write that part myself).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have not firewall and use no router and my Blizzard update is extremely slow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lakersforce View Post
    I have not firewall and use no router and my Blizzard update is extremely slow.
    Then what kind of connection do you have?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Then what kind of connection do you have?
    2mbit/512kbit. The provider always delivers the promised speeds (actually, most of the time it is faster).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast