Thread: Microsoft takes on the "free" world

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Microsoft takes on the "free" world

There's an outstanding article taken from Fortune and published on CNN's Money pages last week that explains in detail the nature of Microsoft's patent claims against Linux. It's the best article I've read on the subject and provides a roadmap to how the future of Ubuntu may play out. (For those who can read between the lines it may also explain why Shuttleworth seems to be backtracking from his original commitment to make Ubuntu "media friendly" by including needed proprietary bits). The article is here:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3867/index.htm

My take on the situation is that most countries outside the US won't honor Microsoft's patent claims and Ubuntu could continue to develop and be distributed in most places, but may potentially be shut off in the US if the GPL license holders go to court and lose. The best strategic move Linux users can make to contribute to a coming legal armaggedon is to buy an Apple computer if you intend to have a non-Linux machine, because the dollars you put in Apple's pocket will effectively become part of their war chest for the coming battle. Though us Ubuntu users probably aren't under the same illusions about Steve Jobs' altruism or idealism that his fanboys are, I would think a Microsoft attack on Linux licenses would be an attack on Unix rights that Apple would have to answer.

So if you thought playing around with Ubuntu took you away from the troubled Middle Earth run by Microsoft, pay attention to the fires coming from Mordor...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Microsoft takes on the "free" world

Quote Originally Posted by Razzl View Post
    explains in detail the nature of Microsoft's patent claims against Linux. It's the best article I've read on the subject
    IMHO article is standard-issue FUD. mentions how many patents *allegedly* (in opinion of MSFT) infringe, but nothing more. Best antidote for this is to check groklaw and Linux Weekly News - http://lwn.net/

if the GPL license holders go to court and lose. The best strategic move Linux users can make to contribute to a coming legal armaggedon is to buy an Apple computer if you intend to have a non-Linux machine,
    You are way too scared IMHO. Check groklaw response.

Eben Moglen is expert lawyer - Law Professor in IIRC Cornell University. He knows his stuff. I read somewhere he has such discussion with GPL-noncompliant company about once a month:
    "hey guys you need to honor GPL"
    "no we don't - GPL was not tested in US court and we can ignore it"
    "OK, so you want to be first to test it in court? Talk to your lawyers"
    3 days later: "... ehh nevermind we don't want be first. How to be compliant?"

It was not tested in court not because nobody cared: because result is so obvious.

And MSFT, convicted monopolist, crushing competition by some dirty tricks? Cannot be, DOJ itself is using Linux!

I would think a Microsoft attack on Linux licenses would be an attack on Unix rights that Apple would have to answer.
    Apple uses BSD. It is not GPL.

I forgot the name (open innovation?), but IBM created a foundation, and donated couple hundreds patents to it, with goal to protect open source. Idea is: Because IBM is cross-licensed with MSFT, they both are immune, but if MSFT sues FOSS project, foundation can contersue, and chance is MSFT breaches any of donated patents. So, to survive, they will have to cross-license patents. Clever, eh?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I stand by the value of the article

"IMHO article is standard-issue FUD. mentions how many patents *allegedly* (in opinion of MSFT) infringe, but nothing more. Best antidote for this is to check groklaw and Linux Weekly News - http://lwn.net/"

While the link you gave winds its way to interesting information from the point of view of Linux insiders, the article I offered is not "standard-issue FUD", it's an excellent view of a number of perspectives, especially those of the lawyers, that aren't getting published in detail. I doubt many or any of the Ubuntu end users who aren't programmers know much about this issue, so every bit of information is helpful and shouldn't be dismissed just because it doesn't reach the level of detail you're already aware of.

"Apple uses BSD. It is not GPL."

But it is Unix, and Linux is derived from unix, and IBM (if I remember Torvalds biography correctly) ended up owning much of Unix, so you see how the cross-linking issues will draw in Apple if a suit goes to the exploration stage.

I urge everyone to read both the article I offered and the links pmasiar offered AND Torvalds' biography, but let's drop the neverending dismissive attitude that Unix geeks seem to bring to the table any time there's a discussion of anything. End users are in short supply for Ubuntu and Linux, let's not drive anybody away with needless posturing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: I stand by the value of the article

OK not "standard-issue FUD" - it is "freshly made FUD, new and improved"

Yes I admit reading groklaw more than I should.

"Apple uses BSD. It is not GPL....But it is Unix, and Linux is derived from unix"

Linux (and Unix) are implementations of free POSIX standard, which is alowed, as decided in US court.

"IBM ended up owning much of Unix" - not so, most of Unix code ended up in Novel.

but let's drop the neverending dismissive attitude that Unix geeks seem to bring to the table any time there's a discussion of anything. End users are in short supply for Ubuntu and Linux, let's not drive anybody away with needless posturing...
    agreed. But interesting discussion is not on 90% where we agree but 10% where we don't...

That one article gives you just POV of your opponent - you need to check groklaw to see how those arguments can be dismantled by someone with background in law.

IMHO, IANAL of course.