View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 886 of 952 FirstFirst ... 386786836876884885886887888896936 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,860 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    Had to take the risk, her laptop is too new for Feisty to support it properly. I do run Gutsy myself so it's not that bad.
    My Girlfriend will do my headin if I change something from edgy now...It was already hard time for me to convince her to use ubuntu at first place.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

bsmonks and uputer
    I'm sorry to hear that you feel like Ubuntu is unfriendly, I hope you stick around!

I understand the frustration of trying to compile a program from scratch, It's hard for us newbies, I don't even feel comfortable with rpm. packages yet!

I've really enjoyed Ubuntu so far, but I stay with whats in the repositories or I look for a deb. file to get the software that I need!

I guess we're all different, so we like different things!
    Last edited by danny joe ritchie; September 10th, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: my inability to type

Beans

Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

The first problem is that you're inaccurately assigning the blame for this difficulty to the OS authors instead of the author of the actual program you're trying to install. This seems very illogical to me but new linux users seem to do this all the time, even those who never do the same thing when evaluating windows apps. If the app is core to the platform then it makes sense but this 'disk-o-matic' certianly isn't core.

The second problem is that in Windows you're used to having only two possibilities: Either the program you're looking for exists and is easy to install/use or it doesn't exist at all. I consider it a strength that linux isn't restricted to those two choices. In Windows if you tried that task (or some other uncommon task) you might find that no program exists at all and you'd be done. However in linux, if somebody somewhere has thought about doing something then the information or code needed to do it is probably available somewhere. It might not be easy to use or install, but that's better than not being there at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I hate the word user-friendly. What makes software user-friendly, really what does. point and click GUI? well some people grew up with Command line interfaces and find navigating all of the folders and options with a mouse cumbersome. heck there will be a day when your children or grandchildren sit down with you and ask if you really used a mouse and keyboard, and how horrible that was. As well as how was it that you could understand information on a two-dimensional screen.

I have been using Linux for over two years now and in my experience I have made a mantra for myself. If I can't find it or get it to work, I can do without it. I mean before I got my nvidia card I was using an old ATI 7500 that 3D acceleration was not fully supported, so you know what I did. I stayed away from anything that would demand a lot of my graphics card. When my sound was not working properly till I restarted the sound server EVERY TIME I started up my computer I did exactly that. May not have been the greatest thing to do every time, but hey I later found out that it was the crappy hardware implementation on my motherboard and disabled it and installed a new sound card.

I know that linux is not what you are used to and that it isn't like windows, but the thing is, it's not supposed to be. It's hard to install things because that is how it was designed, so that viruses and malware cannot install onto your computer automatically.

Finally don't blame the OS for the programs deficiencies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Threads like this make me wonder if it's become too user-friendly. Let those who want everything done for them while their hand is held use a Mac.

DJ
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Angry Biased Ubuntu review online

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1189...googlenews_wsj

A review of Ubuntu I found at the Wall Street Journal Online. Treating us unfairly I find, with no mention of why codecs aren't included in Ubuntu, what workarounds (albeit imperfect ones, like automatix) exist for this. He does mention pros and cons I agree, but doesn't mention why they're there.

If anyone is interested I may include a copy of the email I tried sending him (their mail server wouldn't accept it for some reason, maybe other Ubuntu users have been blasting at him and they blocked us already lol).
    Last edited by wheredidrealitygo; September 14th, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Clarifying
    Ubuntu Natty: HP M8120N, Q6600 2.4GHz, 3GB, 2 x 320GB, GeForce 9500GT.
    Ubuntu Natty: HP Pavilion DV6, quad-core 1.6GHz, 6GB DDR3, 750GB hdd, ATI 4250/6370.
    Android: Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000m (Unofficial CM7 2.3.4), Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Biased Ubuntu review online

I just read the article.

I think Mossberg is right to say that ubuntu isn't ready to replace Windows or even Mac yet. He even quotes that Shuttleworth feels the same way. I do think he should have stated why the codecs are not included, but he did mention that they are availible. what I would love to see in future verisons of ubuntu is a prompt screen asking if we will need certain plugins and how to get them easily.

What Mossberg fails to mention is that Windows cannot play these things automatically either, Windows now hides that fact and installs codecs when needed in the background.

I think Linux, maybe Ubuntu needs two more years before it is stable/ready for prime time. By then we might see things that the low tech user might like to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I agree, the review stinks! Can we really expect anything good from the Wall Street Journal ? I doubt it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

he is right, he mentions the pros and cons. linux is still not ready for the average desktop and, if you ask me, it won't me nowhere in the near future
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not surprised at the review.

Ubuntu still has some way to go before I recommend it to any new users who aren't very advanced.

There is no control panel for adjusting the way the touch pad works, and I found it so sensitive that I was constantly launching programs and opening windows accidentally by touching the thing. Every time the computer awoke from sleep, the volume control software crashed and had to be reloaded.
    When I tried to play common audio and video files, such as MP3 songs, I was told I had to first download special files called codecs that are built into Windows and Mac computers. I was warned that some of these codecs might be "bad" or "ugly."
    I had the same problem with the touchpad on my Sony Vaio and sleep/hibernation problems are also wellknown. Also, regarding the codecs, the warning message is quite scary.

Page 886 of 952 FirstFirst ... 386786836876884885886887888896936 ... LastLast