View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

While I do love linux, saying that windows seems to "just work" is a very valid point.
    The following things are issues that took me quite alot of time to figure out and some that have not yet been completely solved for me

1. First of all, one of the most common wireless cards for labtops are the bcm43xx cards. I would like to see a corporation go through and install ndiswrapper and configure it for say 300 labtops, while you can maybe write a script for it, it would be nice just to have those 300 labtops work with no problems. My wireless card still won't automatically connect to a network when i turn it on. While it may only take a few seconds to connect to one, its also pleasent to have it just work. Even somebody with good computer knowledge could have trouble discovering how to make it work.

2. Graphics cards are another issue. While you can blame this on the company who makes them, its still a problem that exists. It's like if you had a biofueled powered car. Most gas stations simply don't allow you to fuel up. Even though it's not the fault of the car, you can't say the car is ready for mass marketing.

3. My logitech 5 button mouse only utilizes 3 of the buttons. I think there exists a way to fix this but as stated before, most people don't want to take time looking up ways to fix it. I remember trying to fix it a few years ago on an older installation of of kubuntu. I ended up with a xorg error on boot-up. It took me, having another computer with internet, and an hour or so to be able to fix this. For linux to succeed for the majority of people, issues like this cannot exist.

Ubuntu has made great progress towards becoming "ready" but i would say it is not quite there yet. Its that "just working" ability that people like.
    Last edited by bionerual; July 4th, 2007 at 04:44 AM.