View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thumbs up Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bwallum View Post
    Could we start a new thread please? Ubuntu has come on leaps and bounds and it would be really useful to take another 'satisfaction' poll and compare it with the previous one.
    Agreed. This thread needs to be locked and a new discussion started. IMHO it should happen every time there's a new LTS version, minimum. it's gotten to the point where the only reason I respond here is to point out who the trolls are. And there's way too many of them.

Additionally, there should be a demonstration of experience with Ubuntu before one is allowed to post here. Perhaps that could be incorporated with the poll. The poll is closed once you've voted. So why not include a short test of basic user experience? A passing grade on that would permit you to post. That would certainly keep people out that just want to come in and bash FOSS because they feel threatened by it. Change the test every once in a while, say every six months with the release of a new distribution.

There's a lot of griping that fundamentally has no merit whatsoever. It's like some people have never heard of a search engine, they are clueless as to the degree of tech support there is available for Ubuntu or are unwilling to accept the fact that Linux is a different OS than Windows. Perhaps if they paid for tech support (as they do for Windows unless they are pirating it), they'd find themselves a lot happier with Ubuntu.

Windows has a huge amount of problems with drivers too. Try running any hardware over 5 years old or less than two months on the market, and you're likely to run into some kind of problem. Somehow people just accept that when running Windows, or else they are still running the configuration the machine had when they bought it with Windows pre-installed and attribute every problem they encounter to a virus or trojan.

Finally, there's absolutely no comparison between my first Ubuntu experience (Dapper) and what I'm able to do now with Karmic. I realize a lot of that is because of what I've learned, but there are many other factors. But it's gotten to the point where I'm so immersed in the Ubuntu experience, the lines get very blurry for me when it comes to making that judgment.
    Last edited by djchandler; December 28th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.