View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 91 of 952 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191591 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: One Would-be user turned away but still wishing...

Old tricks not working refers simply to approach (how do you solve problems, how are you trying to accomplish tasks), not whether or not hardware functions. As I think I said before, Linux does not (as your Linux zealot friends may have led you to believe) function on all hardware. Wireless is one of Linux's weak points (not saying wireless never works, but it's not as well supported as other things). It doesn't mean you have to buy some kind of weird, obscure hardware. It just means you have to make sure your hardware is compatible. That's why live CDs are such wonderful things. You don't have to install anything, and you can see how it works on your computer.

My best suggestion would be to stick with Windows, and if you ever get a new computer, find one that's Linux compatible. Even take a live CD to the store with you to try it out! Or order from a manufacturer that preinstalls Linux on its computers (MicrotelPC does this, for example).

Beans

Talking This is sowwy fwom awwe doze bad bad peepowe!

U sound like me a couple of years ago, while in mandrake.
    Half my stuff didn't work and the rest was just too buggy so I went back to windows.

Before I do any switching with linux I find the distros forums, either in LinuxQuestions or their real one that can be found threw their site and I go around searching it to make some bad problems appear.
    There are always more than the ones you read. Always!
    I still go in really half blind and I always end up asking around for help where ever I find it. Reality in these forums is nicer than in a lot of places and you just need to take the good and keep it and the bad a shuv it.

A lot of Hardware for Laptops might not be supported, and a lot of the functions you expect might also not be there in an easy way.
    Mainly due to price! Remember that while the people here may have jobs and make money, it still is easier cheaper to build a desktop. A laptop can't be easily built by parts, so you have troubles. Also Ubuntu being free atracts loads of people that don't have money to pay for pricy stuff like a 1300euro laptop.

Unfortunatly Linux is still a guessing game in many ways! Speacially due to little Manufacturer support. We are free but a lot of us are brooke and tired, but we have spirit!
    Hope in the future your needs are met in the linux world. Hey post them in the Dapper wish list. You never know! It could happen.

As you might know... You are on the first line of battle of your kind. Laptop Power Users...

Beans

Re: This is sowwy fwom awwe doze bad bad peepowe!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_J_
    Hope in the future your needs are met in the linux world. Hey post them in the Dapper wish list. You never know! It could happen.
    Well, assuming it doesn't **** people around here off too much to have a 'well intentioned troll' hanging around I am /considering/ dual boot... haven't decided yet as space on that lappy is a major premium for me until I get my second terrabyte for my media server which should be during the post-thanksgiving rush in the US.

I want to give a few more builds a go this week, but if I decide to dual boot I'd likely stick with ubuntu as it seemed to have the highest compatibility thus far... mandriva was a JOKE! Worse than Mepis on this laptop. So yeah... either ubuntu or gentoo... just because I'm crazy aggressive like that and a friend is a gentoo guru... certainly would be a quick way to learn linux.

The only real problem with a dual-boot, of course, is that my room (where the laptop will reside) won't be wired so unless I could get wpa up and running I'd be stuck in the corner of my living room next to the plant that sits atop the router and I'm not exactly certain I'd spend a lot of time working there...

Of course... believe it or not... wireless support in linux promises to be slightly better (if resolved) than my post-sp2 windows wireless which requires a full windows restart every time I want to change networks or resume from suspend/hibernate. My biggest hope for linux is getting the wireless issue locked down. I know about 5 people with different makes/models of windows xp sp2 laptops who have the same problems with wireless-zero. Finding a stable platform that allows for quick scanning and new networks without restarts is hugely important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_J_
    As you might know... You are on the first line of battle of your kind. Laptop Power Users...
    Well, if I had a powerful laptop I might be willing to agree... but alas it's going to be a few years... this hunk of cheap junk needs to last me till we have OLED screens, hybrid harddrives, fuel cell batteries, and dual-core turions which at least puts me into 2007! :-p

Thanks and cheers just the same,
    ~C

Beans

Hmmm.... 2007 promises! Laptops promise to get better in the next 2 years. A lot!

Intel has achieved some marvels and unless AMD pulls one hell of a rabit out if it's backend there are going to be some great shifts towards Intel in the laptop world.

By 2007 I want a waffle thin laptop with fuel battery that has an autonomy of 6h+ when using wi-fi constantly!

Just start saving up!
    Hope the linux world gets those things running up and well before it all starts to disapoint others. Probably Ubuntu is going to be the one to do it. Laptops are always touchy so Ubuntu is good for it!

Beans

You know I used to think AMD didn't know what they were doing in the laptop segment either but I read a really fantastic (and thorough -- something akin to 17 pages or so) set of 'real life' usage tests with the Turion line that actually had the Turion come out just a smidge on top... seems it doesn't burn as much fuel when not working hard and burns a little more when gunning it up. At the same time, depending on the application it showed similar results most of which were more or less resultant of the application of DDR2 vs DDR memory... sometimes the high DDR2 bandwidth was excellent for the intel product... sometimes the low-latency DDR and integrated memory controller of the Turion came out on top.

In the end, reading what I read, I'd rather give Turion my business because it's A) not intel and B) on average a cheaper product to produce (whether or not it's marketed that way is up for grabs) and should be reflected at the price-point. The dual-core models should be out very soon for both intel and Turion and I look forward to seeing the results of that ... if you can't tell already, I'm a heavy multitasking user and the low-lag of a dual core (or dual processor such as is my media server) is just going to be necessary for me on the next wave of products.

However, considering the existing support issues and the likely ratification of 802.11n certification by that time, I'm hoping that intel does produce another internal wireless card (one certified for 802.11n) as users seem to have the best luck with the intel cards as I've noted.... my poor atheros card just doesn't know how to react properly madwifi or not.

Hopefully the cheap production costs of oled screens will offset the costs of a fuel-cell battery leaving only the hybrid hdd specifications to be covered... of course, if you want my personal favorite idea... as soon as the hybrid hdd's hit the market linux needs to devote some serious attention to those suckers come tweak time and see about forcing as much of the system as possible to be loaded into the flash portion for quick-boot and low-latency response. M$ is already getting a head-start with vista since it's helping develop the drives with Samsung.

My only question / quarrel / qualm with the hybrid drives is whether or not this NandOne memory has the existing 100,000 write/read limit of most consumer flash products as that would be quite dangerous to fast and furious users and the benefits of 'longer drive life' would not be realized... it could actually shorten drive life. Also to question is whether or not they hybrid drives will actually finally take advantage of the SATA interface found in the newer M and Turion lines.

So who's to know? Next year will certainly be an interesting year to watch the laptop market segment. I think we'll see our first commercial (though non-mass produced) OLED laptops, and the dual-core and hybrid drives are already confirmed.

cheuschober <-- maybe not a linux geek but still a geek

~C

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cheuschober
    So yeah... either ubuntu or gentoo... just because I'm crazy aggressive like that and a friend is a gentoo guru... certainly would be a quick way to learn linux.
    Definitely go with Gentoo, then. If you have a Gentoo guru friend, nothing makes a migration to Linux easier than a guru for a particular distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Definitely go with Gentoo, then. If you have a Gentoo guru friend, nothing makes a migration to Linux easier than a guru for a particular distro.
    Believe me, I'd already be there if it wasn't for the fact that he lives in St. Louis and I live in NYC and both of us have busy social lives. Trying to spot out how much I could do on my own with a few phone calls and emails to him.

~C

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you do end up deciding to dual-boot, this is a great tutorial that is really step by step and has screenshots.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheuschober
    is this to say that many community users are just accepting that they paid for hardware that will not function anymore?
    Yes. I have a $120 dollar ATI card that works fine in Windows sitting on my shelf because it was replaced by an Nvidia card when I got into Linux. When my girlfriend switched, we put her wireless card in the drawer and got a compatible one on ebay. When I bought a serial ATA controller I went out of my way to buy one that works with Linux- took me about an hour. A friend of mine has an ethernet card that I used as an ash tray for a while when it wouldn't work whit Ubuntu for him. I could go on and on.

You remeber when someone in your family once told you that nothing in life was free? In many ways its the truth.

Dealing with the fact that hardware won't work in Linux, and that you might have to replace it is the "true cost of Ubuntu." For me Ubuntu has cost about $200 in replaced stuff and it was wroth every penny. From now on I plan to build my own machines than buy one with parts that might not work.

Of course, Windows uses resources as well. I perseonally prefer to get new hardware and tinker with the parts than spend time dealing with spyware and viruses. Heck, I'm a nerd I'll buy new hardware at some point anyway. So why not buy it to work with Linux.

I think of it this way. I want a desktop *nix. The cost of entry to a Mac is a new machine slower than my own (I would only get a mini). The cost of entry to Linux was a new wireless and graphics card that cost a third of the price of the mini. Its an easy decision for me, especially because I can't stand the slowness of the mini's hardware!
    Last edited by poofyhairguy; October 18th, 2005 at 11:26 PM.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Ok its bugging me. You have card I KNOW has Linux drivers. They are closed source drivers so they are not included with Ubuntu, but they do exist. I know it can work eventually.

First, have you tried these updated intructions?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MoreRecentMadwifiHowto

Breezy is new so the wikis are not all up to date yet. Secondly, have you tried kanotix? It has the best wireless driver support I have heard many times. I want to help you with this id you want to keep trying. That card isn't a broadcom, so it should work.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 91 of 952 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191591 ... LastLast