View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 896 of 952 FirstFirst ... 396796846886894895896897898906946 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 8,960 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

sigh. correct me if i'm wrong, but these always seem to turn into flamewars before the first page is over -.-

I honestly think you should give linux another chance (whenever you're ready). The ubuntuforums are the best place on the planet; almost every time you ask a question, someone is willing to redirect you or give you an answer. So don't give up; keep asking questions and finding out what you can.

and tux is your friend!!!!
    your really really cute friend.

=D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

Tux came with open arms and you shoved him over to the corner, he's crying . I know compiling is not easy but its compiling. Just stick with .DEBs at http://packages.ubuntu.com and I know, I love my Windows apps and Games. That's why WINE came in. The Ubuntu community is people helping people and you can't really get that with MS. Besides, what will happen when your Windows install dies?

Good luck with your troubles

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Talking Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I disagree.

When my mum stays with us she uses either OS X or linux and has Vista at home (grrr! I told her to buy a mac!! And then she calls me up for support "Mum, I have never even seen vista let alone used it"). When I ask her what she thinks about the difference between them... "They are all the same really."

My trouble ('n' strife), uses OSX and Linux at home and XP on her work laptop and has even done projects moving between all three using the same documents with MS, Open & Neo Office (retraining costs my @rse!).

Neither of them are what I would define as anywhere near "Power Users". They use what is put in front of them - computers are a tool, a means to an end, not the end in itself. In other words if they were given a computer with any OS installed (properly!) they would just get on and do what ever they needed to do with it working around problems or asking for help as they need it.

Power Users IMHO are the problem. I define a "Power User" as someone who considers hacking to be changing registry settings, knowing what the "cool" apps are etc, but not really knowing or understanding what is really going on under the hood. The sort of people who spend hours tweaking bios and registry settings to get "better performance". This is all done on windows of course. They then move to another operating system, e.g. Linux, and realise that they do not know anywhere as much as they thought they did/do - permissions/the concept of a multiple user system is the usual kicker - and their ego takes a hit. IOW ricers. As they are a "Power User" it must be Linux, not them.
    Mate, you are so right on the button with that comment about "power users." They tend to be deluded quite a bit of the time, and argue amongst themselves even when they're arguing about the same OS, usually Windows. Check out the ZDNet blogs, and you'll see the biggest bunch of whiners. It's like listening to a bunch of people gripe about getting their housecleaning done, and how best to do it.

I vacillated back and forth between Windows and Macs for years, actually having both, and made a few dollars helping people bridge the gap from one platform to the other for a while. My help is no longer necessary, even for the most unsophisticated users, because external media has standardized, besides the ease of emailing data files, and most mission critical office applications can read data files and translate file formats cross-platform just fine.

The biggest problem with the unsophisticated Windows user is they have no idea how vulnerable they are. There are bot networks available to those who know that can crank out spam faster than the fastest of supercomputers, on demand, to any level of performance necessary. If some people would just check their sent box once in a while, they would know they've been compromised. And then there's the adware, spyware, and viruses, besides the trojans with the bot payloads.

If you want to just play games, get an Xbox 360, Wii, or Playstation 3, and leave Linux for the Linux users. If you don't like it, don't use it. You have choices after all. The others just cost A LOT more money and freedom.

DJ
    Last edited by djchandler; September 19th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

8800+ posts do not help. Improve the product and understand the potential users. They are NOT like the average user here, and they never will be.
    "Linux is best for technically savvy users or for people whose needs are so basic that they will never need anything other than the bundled software."

- New York Times

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by UI-Freak View Post
    8800+ posts do not help. Improve the product and understand the potential users. They are NOT like the average user here, and they never will be.
    correct me if I'm wrong but Linux is the fastest evolving OS around here. compare the 5 years+ release cycle of windows to the one of 6 month for Ubuntu, for example
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by UI-Freak View Post

OK ,they are, if you have a suggestion, put it in the Idea Pool

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    does k3b do the same job?
    k3b??

Beans

The main reason Windows kills Linux

I love ubuntu since being turned on to it and the many spins of linux. I think the main reason Linux isn't able to keep pace with Mac and Windows is because the support issues are bad. Many people develop constantly for linux but people who have trouble can't find the answers they need and they eventually throw it out the window.

I have seen multiple posts in this forum and others by people who need help and no one replies to them. I have one where I asked about compiz but this isn't a rant about me, I will figure out the answer to my question.

There are posts like this one all the time and either there aren't enough knowledgeable who frequent the forums or they just don't wanna bother. :shrug: disheartening because Ubuntu and Kubuntu are real contenders and the best contenders yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The main reason Windows kills Linux

People have Windows problems all the time that can't be solved, and yet they stick with Windows anyway. Just ask my co-workers.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: The main reason Windows kills Linux

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    People have Windows problems all the time that can't be solved, and yet they stick with Windows anyway. Just ask my co-workers.
    Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Page 896 of 952 FirstFirst ... 396796846886894895896897898906946 ... LastLast