View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 884 of 952 FirstFirst ... 384784834874882883884885886894934 ... LastLast
Results 8,831 to 8,840 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No chance

Quote Originally Posted by jenachdem View Post
    I see no chance for Ubuntu or any other distribution. Contrasted to Linux Windows or OSX is for the most everyday tasks more performant, ergonomic, flexible and became over the last years more and more smoothly.

The available Windows applications, the GUI appearanceare or colorfull splash screens are matter of no consequence.

Linux ist still a big construction lot and even basic things for a basic desktop pc are not working as it should be. I don't know what the all the Linux developers are doing the day long? I'm sure they are working on big things like a new 4KS-EBC Protocoll for XSKCD.

I Installed Ubuntu 7.04 some time ago and it was worse. Such as? The Rythmplayer needs up to 50% CPU on a P4-1,6Ghz. Or the Firefox Browser have scrolling problems which are bog down the system. Such a OS is useless. As I mentioned other distributions are not much better.

The community of the majority is useless too. The most users there have no clue and give trivial answers to everythng in order to push up their number of posts under their avatar.
    so why don't you just stick with what works best for you?...
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Linux ist still a big construction lot and even basic things for a basic desktop pc are not working as it should be
    such as what?
    it is very easy to browse the web, check email, use open office, ext. what basic things dont work?(and all systems have problems just because something doesn't work right for you doesn't mean everyone else has the same problem)

The community of the majority is useless too. The most users there have no clue and give trivial answers to everythng in order to push up their number of posts under their avatar.
    the people here try there best they are not paid to help you, we do it out of the goodness of our hearts

also you have 0 beans which i think means you haven't posted in support category asking for help so how can you say we are useless when you haven't even asked us to help you solve your problem
    Last edited by Billy_McBong; September 8th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it
    Ubuntu User #15037
    Linux user #448546

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see no chance for Ubuntu or any other distribution. Contrasted to Linux Windows or OSX is for the most everyday tasks more performant, ergonomic, flexible and became over the last years more and more smoothly.

The available Windows applications, the GUI appearanceare or colorfull splash screens are matter of no consequence.

Linux ist still a big construction lot and even basic things for a basic desktop pc are not working as it should be. I don't know what the all the Linux developers are doing the day long? I'm sure they are working on big things like a new 4KS-EBC Protocoll for XSKCD.
    I admit that some things are better in Windows or OSX, but GNU/Linux has one big advantage: It gives you freedom.
    And apart from some hardware problems, I find Ubuntu very usable for everyday use. And it's always improving.
    Actually, it allows me to do things that I couldn't do with Windows (or not as easily at least) like ssh -X, sed, grep, ... I need it for work!

Maybe you should try the gentoo forums then. ^^
    Otherwise, there are always the general GNU/Linux forums like linuxquestions.org or linuxforums.org/.

And as said by the previous poster:
    The people here try there best they are not paid to help you, we do it out of the goodness of our hearts.
    I haven't tried the paid support for Ubuntu yet, but maybe it's better.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Windows and OS X daily, ATM, I find them better because I have work to get done that cannot be done in Ubuntu. But Ubuntu is well on its way to fame.

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

I Installed Ubuntu 7.04 some time ago and it was worse. Such as? The Rythmplayer needs up to 50% CPU on a P4-1,6Ghz. Or the Firefox Browser have scrolling problems which are bog down the system. Such a OS is useless. As I mentioned other distributions are not much better.

I would quote and comment on this, 'till I saw this "I don't know what the all the Linux developers are doing the day long?" and this "The community of the majority is useless too.".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Anonii View Post
    I would quote and comment on this, 'till I saw this "I don't know what the all the Linux developers are doing the day long?" and this "The community of the majority is useless too.".
    I don't understand the first sentence either.
    But in the second one, he might have meant the Windows community...
    Last edited by KIAaze; September 9th, 2007 at 01:31 AM.

uputer is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

Thanks to everyone and anyone who was sympathetic and/or tried to help. Thanks to those who didn't accuse me of being a 'troll' and realized the frustrations and perspective (of a user having difficulties learning Linux).

Even though I've had much confusion with it, I don't want to give up. I just have to consider the time I'll need to spend on it and try to set aside some time accordingly. I agree, a dual boot of Windows and Linux is a good idea but a better one I plan on using is having two computers side-by-side (at my disposal). One machine will be left on Linux, even if I have more than one distro installed. The other machine will be a Windows system. That way, I can experiment and use Linux on one and if I need to do standard stuff, I can let the Windows machine do it. But, the point is, the frustration should be a bit less when I have something to fall back on.

However, make no mistake about it, the plan is to gradually move over to using Linux primarily but I hope the idea (of having two computers) will make the adjustment a bit less painful and allow the substantial learning curve. So thank you to all who wanted to help despite my complaints. Thanks in advance to those who try in subsequent posts.

Beans

I must agree with you sir. I have been tying to just install real player and it is not very cut an dry. I have no idea why I can't just download a program and simply click install. I am not a Windows fan but Ubuntu has a long way to go to be as user friendly as Windows. I should be able to dowload and install but I can't even find step by step instructions on how to install realplayer. I am frustrated.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

PFFT. I just switched my g/f to Gutsy and she couldn't be happier. She has no more problems adjusting to Ubuntu than she would adjusting to Mac (which she wanted to get at some point).
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While you can download a file a click to install it, using the repositories system (which is also point-and-click) is actually easier than tracking down an installer file from somewhere on the internet.

That said, if you're using Ubuntu 7.04, try downloading this file and double-clicking it.

Page 884 of 952 FirstFirst ... 384784834874882883884885886894934 ... LastLast