View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 837 of 952 FirstFirst ... 337737787827835836837838839847887937 ... LastLast
Results 8,361 to 8,370 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: 5 reasons to dump Linux

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Honestly, I could probably think of five reasons not to run linux. But I don't think any of those would make the list. Lets see...

#1 is a flat out lie. Hand the first 10 year old you see a windows XP disk and tell him to install it. Not a chance in hell.

#2 is BS as well. Community support > paid support any day. I hate trying to get tech support out of paid support folk, they just don't care and you get read some script. The community has people who are there because the actually care. And as far as beta quality software, well, half the web runs on linux (nowhere near all commercial versions, mind you), so that has to stay something. Besides, many would say windows vista is still a beta and they charge for that .

#3 misses the point. It's not about programmers, but politics. We don't want restrictions on our ownership of the software. Whether or not I change it or not, I want to send a message that restriction on my rights are not acceptable. That said, many could care less about OSS, so if you fit in this category then it might not be a draw for you to linux. But even then, I am hard pressed to find any way that this would be a reason for you to ditch linux. I don't care if my my truck is extended cab or not, should I not drive a truck for that reason?

#4 is legit... IF you have hardare support issues. Mor HW just works for linux than windows, but more hardware works with windows than linux after hours of driver updates. Take that as you will. Guess what, Windows has to select from the specific hardare designed for windows, so guess what, no different!

#5 is baloney (to steal the articles word). If I browse to a dangerous site in windows because I'm too stupid to know better then my computer will get pwned. Do it in linux and laugh because you are fine. And yes, there is truth to the article's statement about security being up to the user, but I'd rather not have 50% of my PCs resources busy locking it down when I can run an OS that doesn't need that.

So there you have it, while there are certainly reasons to leave linux, this article conveniently missed them.
    Uhm, I've seen a 10 year old install XP... I've also seen my computer illiterate family install XP (well, seen the results of, had I been around they would have had me do it).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pavs View Post
    5 reasons to dump Linux
    August 6, 2007 – 11:15 am
    I have been using both Linux and windows for as long as I can remember. Both at my Job, my school and home. There are certain thing about linux that bothers me, but there are things thats very unique to linux that you can only dream to have in windows. But today I will only talk about things that will make you want to dump linux.

http://www.windowhaxor.net/2007/08/0...to-dump-linux/
    I stopped reading right here:

I bet any half-brained 10 year old can install a windows system without having to worry about driver support or downloading a source code of a kernel patch and configure it and compile it to run his printer or webcam. Stupid kids.
    Because it's simply BS , Ever tried to set up a promise controller in windows? better yet in NT? or lexmark Printer drivers the utmost worst of all? what about the newest Nvidia drivers 162 in XP ? Blowing up all over the place , even a Ten year old can fix that.

Good job trying to get Techs to agree with you when you insult 95% of us , does this forum have an ignore function..
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Hidden!

Why can't we just Delete these posts from trolls. This "post" he made on his blog is probably the most uninformed write up I have ever seen. So why waste our time or even one thought process on this.
    His blog is a prime example of what happens when someone with lack of experience starts giving advice.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    Good job trying to get Techs to agree with you when you insult 95% of us , does this forum have an ignore function..
    It sure does. Just click on his name, click public profiles, and add him to your ignore list.

Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

The point is some of us linux users are too closed minded to be even open to the idea that other OS may be good or even OK. the point of the blog post was ONLY point out bad things (in my opinion) about linux.
    That's fine with me. I know that other OSes are also good. But still, you chose the wrong way to express this, by pointing out disadvantages of Linux which don't exist in the first place. I am not saying it is perfect, but it is a very good OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This user may or may not be a troll. If you genuinely believe her or him to be a troll, stop responding. Otherwise, let's keep it civil.

Since this covers a lot of the same ground that's been covered before, I've merged it with the Linux Desktop Readiness thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Since this covers a lot of the same ground that's been covered before, I've merged it with the Linux Desktop Readiness thread.
    Good Job!

Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't worry, this blog isn't even close to being popular enough to make a difference.
    To the OP, instead of Bashing Linux, consider helping it instead. Bashing Linux solves nothing, but if you find something wrong about it, report it to us and we can help fix it.

Thats why there is forum here, so we can help YOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

I hope that Ubuntu will be a little more user friendly on the installation level in the future, but for above average users right now, I think that it is pretty user friendly and somewhat desktop ready. It does have a pile of bugs that need to be worked out, but I am happy with my laptop that runs it.

Beans

Can Linux Replace Windows?

Here.

Page 837 of 952 FirstFirst ... 337737787827835836837838839847887937 ... LastLast