View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 836 of 952 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast
Results 8,351 to 8,360 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 5 reasons to dump Linux

Here are a few things I would like you to reconsider:

1. After finishing Windows setup, I had to download and install drivers for my graphics card, network cards (wireless and wired), touchpad, and card reader. I only needed to install the graphics driver after finishing Linux setup -- everything else worked from the get-go. As far as compiling stuff is concerned, I did not have to touch any code -- I only needed to make sure I had the compiling tools and kernel headers installed.
    2. While this point is valid to a certain extent, people are paying for support and not so much the software. Indeed, the GPL allows this. Ironically, the free distributions are updated more often because people who use them tend to prefer the bleeding edge; whereas the "enterprise" versions use the "tried-and-true" versions of everything.
    3. Open source means more than the fact that everybody stands a chance to benefit from each other's contributions, be it in code, money, or the mere reporting of bugs. I might not change someone's perceptions about open-source, but I'll at least present the facts.
    4. I ran Ubuntu Linux on a Dell Inspiron 6000, which is long before Dell even offered Linux on their product line, and it works like a charm. As far as R&D is concerned, Dell has the community to do the testing for them, bringing their costs down to practically nil. If they did their homework (reading), they'll know what hardware works best on Linux. All they needed to do was to market it.
    5. Many mission-critical and high-security applications run Linux. They are jackpots for information. Why the hackers don't attack those is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by dasunst3r; August 6th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Guys, calm down. Look at his post count. 1 post. Chill. He's just a troll. Please don't feed the trolls.
    In Soviet Russia, cake lies you!
    My Blog | Email Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Pure drivel. Those arguments are so baseless I won't warrant them the dignity of a rebuttal.
    But, sometimes its just so hard to not feed the trolls. It tempts me so....
    "The mind is a place unto itself, and can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven" ~Satan, Paradise Lost

Beans

Those are not good reasons. Linux is free. Support is not. Nor is closed source software. If I wanted Red Hat, I would get the source and compile it. No one is stopping me from doing that. Linux is what it is. Don't like it? Don't use it. Those are personal reasons, not reasons that affect me. But you can complain all you want. Some will get it, others will not.

pavs is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans
    Hidden!

You guys got it all wrong. This is not a troll. If this was I wouldn't post it on "Other OS Talk" subforum. Also You guys totally missed the part where it says: There are certain thing about linux that bothers me, but there are things thats very unique to linux that you can only dream to have in windows. But today I will only talk about things that will make you want to dump linux.

[snip]

The point is some of us linux users are too closed minded to be even open to the idea that other OS may be good or even OK. the point of the blog post was ONLY point out bad things (in my opinion) about linux.

Cheers
    pavs
    Last edited by wieman01; February 7th, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I love ubuntu but would gladly pay for someone to develop drivers for this laptop, then give them away free to the community.

As a new linux user, I can sum up the problem with linux in three words..

drivers, Drivers, DRIVERS!!!

Anyone wanting to help out on drivers for a Flybook V5, (touchscreen, webcam and some more) drop me a pm.

All work in windows.. -duh..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What purpose did your post serve except to stir things up? Not to mention that your opinions are just that, your opinions. Each reason you gave can be countered quite easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by BC7333 View Post
    This is a problem with the manufacturer you chose, not a fault of Linux. If you can get the particular specs from the hardware manufacturer, most likely someone would write the drivers for free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BC7333 View Post
    I love ubuntu but would gladly pay for someone to develop drivers for this laptop, then give them away free to the community.

As a new linux user, I can sum up the problem with linux in three words..

drivers, Drivers, DRIVERS!!!

Anyone wanting to help out on drivers for a Flybook V5, (touchscreen, webcam and some more) drop me a pm.

No offense, but you just paid someone to not make linux drivers. By purchasing from manufacturers that do not support linux you are supporting (with your wallet) that decision. Buy linux friendly hardware and (a) your life will be easier and (b) you will be making it more profitable for companies to support linux. Think before you buy.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by em007a View Post
    This is a problem with the manufacturer you chose, not a fault of Linux. If you can get the particular specs from the hardware manufacturer, most likely someone would write the drivers for free.
    I do understand. My other laptop works fine, so does my desktop. This one is a bit troublesome though. Thanks to good community support my wireless is 'hanging in' there but not yet perfect. I have the info needed for getting the webcam and touchscreen up, but seems my posts are largely ignored. Not that I want instant satisfaction.. even a couple days or week would do..

Click on my nick, view the profile, see my recent posts and help out.. that's what it's all about..

Where there is will, there is a way.. that's what keeps me hanging in there.

Page 836 of 952 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast