View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 829 of 952 FirstFirst ... 329729779819827828829830831839879929 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,290 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    Since want my users to develop something like a brand recognition from a well supported distribution- Mint would not do for that. Though I like Mint very much, Ubuntu is taking Linux into the future and that's what users should be aware of. Codec installation will improve and I'd rather just use Automatix for now.
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Rather then using mint - I sit down right after the new release and throw together a custom install CD that already includes restricted formats and a few essential apps. You really are just an apt-get/source edit away from having everything automatix and mint provide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tehkain View Post
    Rather then using mint - I sit down right after the new release and throw together a custom install CD that already includes restricted formats and a few essential apps. You really are just an apt-get/source edit away from having everything automatix and mint provide.
    Would you happen to be able to point me at a HowTo for that? I'd love to be able to have a personalized install of my favorite Ubuntu
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    Would you happen to be able to point me at a HowTo for that? I'd love to be able to have a personalized install of my favorite Ubuntu
    http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/
    Registered Linux User 425324
    Ubuntu user # 12843
    Wrapping workspaces in Gnome
    Gmail notifier for Dzen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu not ready

After three months of banging my head trying to get Ubuntu to print to either of my two printers, I have to say that this is one of the reasons why is isn't ready.

It doesn't work out of the box, and the demands on the new user are still too great for this thing to get off the ground. In windows, I can find a driver for just about anything. In Ubuntu, the requirements for me compile and configure are just too much.

People are not going to buy new hardware (printers) because they get a open source operating system. It is silly to even put the concept forth.

Best of luck getting the bugs out of this. It's a noble effort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu not ready

Have you even tried to post here? Try making a thread and taking affirmative action instead of complaining.We can probably help you.
    In Soviet Russia, cake lies you!
    My Blog | Email Me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    After three months of banging my head trying to get Ubuntu to print to either of my two printers, I have to say that this is one of the reasons why is isn't ready.

It doesn't work out of the box, and the demands on the new user are still too great for this thing to get off the ground. In windows, I can find a driver for just about anything. In Ubuntu, the requirements for me compile and configure are just too much.

Most Operating Systems don't work out of the box, actually none of them do. (Windows is even harder to install).

For printers, HP is usually the best option, not because of Linux, but because of the hardware company. A printer was the reason Stallman does what he does.
    People are not going to buy new hardware (printers) because they get a open source operating system. It is silly to even put the concept forth.
    For Vista, you will probably need to buy new RAM, a new Video card (with hard to get drivers), and a new CPU just to get it working fine. Whereas Ubuntu would work fine.

-EDIT I just noticed this is your first post, why didn't you ask about the printer on the forum? We can help, the wall can't.
    Last edited by LaRoza; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What kind of printer is it anyway?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please read the thread I just merged yours with.

If you want help, post a new thread in the support area kindly asking for it.

Otherwise, this is the place to talk about Ubuntu not being "ready."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post

Thats funny because that is the exact concept that Windows Vista put forth to me. Apparently my HP scanner is too old and there will be no support for it in Vista ever.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Page 829 of 952 FirstFirst ... 329729779819827828829830831839879929 ... LastLast