View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 775 of 952 FirstFirst ... 275675725765773774775776777785825875 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,750 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: There is only one reason why people think Ubuntu isn't desktop-ready.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    I'll take that bet any day. Pick up 20 new computers with the latest hardware. Let's have some fun with it. Each one will have a different kind of NIC (e.g., USB wireless, PCI wireless), from a slew of well known and not-so-well known manufacturers. The same can be said for video cards, peripherals, etc (e.g., 20 different brands, models of printers, digital cameras). We'll see which OS supports the most.
    Or more accurately, which OS is SUPPORTED the most, by third party drivers.

That's NOT the OS supporting the hardware, it's the hardware supporting the OS.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans

The real, imminent and absolute true fact, is that people (especially, umm, like 90% of the people that have access to computers [yes, that might be an exaggeration, but maybe not]) DON'T CARE at all about how an OS works, or its advantages/disadvantages. Most people are not geeks and don't want to be geeks because that disrupts their "social status" (aka teens don't think geeks are "cool")

So ALL THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT, is IF they are capable of doing the things they want. And that, sorry to say, doesn't go far beyond chatting, email, MS Word, myspace, facebook, and itunes (or for the illegal users, limewire). Since windows does all of these quite well (though maybe there are problems sometimes, it's not enough to make them say "O to hell with this! I am going to take the time to find out my options"; anyway, most of them just don't know there are other options, so they just work their way around the problem.) they just stick with it and don't think about it too much.

Also, since windows is preinstalled on almost all OEM machines, they think it's the only way in the world to fill their computer cravings.

Also to mention, teens and young people in general, will want to use windows just for the fact that they would be embarrassed if their friends caught him/her using something none-windows, which to them would automatically = a geek.

These are true facts, none can deny them, and these are especially prevalent in the US and among teens.

As for this thread, I am with @trophy, especially the 3rd post in the thread he made.
    Last edited by user1397; June 28th, 2007 at 05:46 AM.

Beans

The way I look at it is this: It's like automatic and manual transmission cars.

There's a significant learning curve with manual transmission cars. They're not just different to learn, they're harder to learn. Same as Linux is not just different from Windows, it's also harder because you don't have whatever manufacturer that made your hardware holding your hand.

Most people only know how to drive an automatic. I'm ok with that. I like driving a stick better cause the gas milage is greatly improved, but it doesn't bother me at all if they never, ever learn to drive a stick, or if they try it, decide it's too hard, and go back to driving a slushbox.

[analogy]Except for this: computer-wise it's as if we live in some sort of bizarro world in which Ford only makes automatic transmission vehicles and actively tries to suppress mechanics from servicing Chevys. Therefore parts for my manual transmission car are extremely hard to find, and after-market anything won't fit unless I very painstakingly file everything down to the correct size, redrill everything to fit the right size and configuration of mounting bolts... [/analogy]

No wonder outsiders look at it and go "Why do all of that when I already have a car that gets me from A to B?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think ubuntuman001 touched a very fundamental point that involve moving beyond offering a stable OS. People use computers to perform tasks and software developers either propietary or open source oriented aim to fulfill those needs. Microsoft, for instance, allegedly spent million of dollars on focus groups to come up with Office 2007's new features.

The point is, as long as OpenSource software falls behind in listening to what people need in their software and implementing it, it would be difficult to convince people to switch beyond the usual argument "what do you want, a beautiful but unstable Office 2007 or a stable virus free OpenOffice?"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by @trophy View Post
    The way I look at it is this: It's like automatic and manual transmission cars.

There's a significant learning curve with manual transmission cars. They're not just different to learn, they're harder to learn. Same as Linux is not just different from Windows, it's also harder because you don't have whatever manufacturer that made your hardware holding your hand.

Most people only know how to drive an automatic. I'm ok with that. I like driving a stick better cause the gas milage is greatly improved, but it doesn't bother me at all if they never, ever learn to drive a stick, or if they try it, decide it's too hard, and go back to driving a slushbox.

[analogy]Except for this: computer-wise it's as if we live in some sort of bizarro world in which Ford only makes automatic transmission vehicles and actively tries to suppress mechanics from servicing Chevys. Therefore parts for my manual transmission car are extremely hard to find, and after-market anything won't fit unless I very painstakingly file everything down to the correct size, redrill everything to fit the right size and configuration of mounting bolts... [/analogy]

No wonder outsiders look at it and go "Why do all of that when I already have a car that gets me from A to B?"
    In a true Windows-user like fashion, I prefer the ease of use of an automatic transmission to the performance of stick shift. There are many who would argue that Linux is easier to use and doesn't require as much learning, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bravo! This is the very reason why the argument of "Windows is not Linux" works so well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdrodrig View Post
    I think ubuntuman001 touched a very fundamental point that involve moving beyond offering a stable OS. People use computers to perform tasks and software developers either propietary or open source oriented aim to fulfill those needs. Microsoft, for instance, allegedly spent million of dollars on focus groups to come up with Office 2007's new features.

The point is, as long as OpenSource software falls behind in listening to what people need in their software and implementing it, it would be difficult to convince people to switch beyond the usual argument "what do you want, a beautiful but unstable Office 2007 or a stable virus free OpenOffice?"
    Unstable Office 2007?? It's apparent that you don't have a copy. I've been using it for nearly a month and it is awesome. OpenOffice doesn't even compare (which is what I'm using with Ubuntu).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi kamaboko, my office 2007 example was mostly a hypothetical example of the limits of the stability argument...no matter how beautiful it is (that I agree, it is a great product) it is still sitting on top of winxp, isn't?

But I must say, I recently run into some "freezing" problems while using PivotTables with a decent amount of data in Excel 2007 but still, OpenOffice is not good enough *for my needs* so far, so dual boot is my everyday task.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Personally I LOVE those comments about Ubuntu not being ready to replace Windows, even though many people - including total Linux newbies - have not only migrated to it, but have also ditched their Windows installs. It all comes down to attitude; some people are happy to learn, others take the "But it took me so long to learn Windows, why should I do it all over again??" approach (so really shouldn't be venturing anywhere near ANY Linux distro, obviously).

To those out there who get even slightly maddened by people like this who flame Ubuntu and Linux in general, please try to understand how frustrating it is for these people. Imagine constantly putting yourself through Linux Geek Hell when you know you just haven't got it in you to make a real go of it - can you imagine how frustrating it would be to put yourself through that?! I would get on the forums and flame the distro too, since I would need some sort of release for the inner turmoil I would have caused myself, and directing that outword is the most constructive way to do so.

Long Live Windows - I want to carry Bill Gates's love child!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux is not Windows, Windows is not Linux, apples are not oranges, knowledge is not a single way road, comfort it's not stupidity, habit is not laziness, time is not infinite, there are few facts but many many perspectives...
    cheers and enjoy the information age
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Page 775 of 952 FirstFirst ... 275675725765773774775776777785825875 ... LastLast