View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 61 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Linux Convert's Rant

Quote Originally Posted by mousepad
    I am suffering from winxp withdraw right now. I had some spare time during my summer vacation and thought I'd like to dive into Linux, deciding to skip dual-boot entirely. All I've ever used has been windows since 3.1. My biggest concern was not being able to do everything I wanted to on a linux system. I mean, my computer already had winxp professional on it (meaning I already paid for the program, why switch?) Linux advocates make a convincing argument for free alternative windows programs with openoffice, gaim, xine, and wine who needs their costly alternatives, but it's those small random programs that don't have ports. No one using x likes to mention the huge amount of time spent on packages, compiling source, using the terminal and fixing little things that work already in windows.

Of course, there are many positive aspects of linux and I'll probably be glad I took the time to learn it. However, I feel that the linux community has misrepresented the ease of transitioning from different systems. I heard "all the popular programs have their free equivalents linux! all other programs can be emulated through wine! You have everything you need! Modern distros easy setup!" No one mentions the tedious package and driver configuration necessary just to get DVDs to work or talks about the shortcomings of emulating, or the process just to get a program to show up on the applications bar, or the necessity to reassign special keys and shortcuts. After my first day of using linux I am almost fed up with all the little things that need to be configured. Windows has its downfalls , but the total amount of time spent scanning for viruses, setting up a firewall, defragmenting, doing a fresh install of windowsxp regularly would probably amount to less than the amount of time configuring linux has required. Maybe if I was back in middle/high school during the summer I wouldn't care so much and recommend everyone to try the "better" OS. Honestly, I know people who have been using computers for years, but don't know basic things like how to setup a printer or timid about searching for a program and installing it from the internet. These are the people who buy full desktop sets. How could linux possibly hope to appeal to the regular person when it expects so much setup time from the user? Maybe, for the tech lovers, but most users don't want to see code or spend time customizing they want the job done. I converted to linux for better security and in hopes that I wouldn't have to purchase another copy of microsoft word or an antivirus subscription again , but in the end, nothing is really free.
    About the only thing you said in that article I aggree with is that wine doesent work that good.

I mean, how hard is it to type "apt-get install enlightenment" or something else into the terminal? You dont even need to click on the file to install it, it installs on its own if you use apt-get! YOu dont even have to click "next" while installing! You MIGHT have to press "Y" once but oh well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How could linux possibly hope to appeal to the regular person when it expects so much setup time from the user?
    In one sense, you're totally right, but what you said is misleading. After all, Windows takes just as much (if not more time) to set up if installed from scratch (no recovery disks). Problem is that the vast majority of Windows users never install Windows. Hell, I know a lot of people who won't even install programs that are just a double-click on a setup.exe file.

Maybe, for the tech lovers, but most users don't want to see code or spend time customizing they want the job done.
    You're right. Otherwise, we'd still be using Windows. I came to Linux for the customization. A lot of others come for that, too. If you don't want to customize stuff, there's little reason to leave Windows.

I converted to linux for better security and in hopes that I wouldn't have to purchase another copy of microsoft word or an antivirus subscription again , but in the end, nothing is really free.
    On the contrary, it's completely free--Ubuntu in particular--nothing is proprietary and nothing costs money. In fact, it's because it's completely free that you have to put so much work into installing and configuring it. If it came with nonfree stuff (Java, MP3, etc.), then it wouldn't be as much work.

I'll have you know, though, when I lost my recovery CDs for my Dell laptop, Windows XP was a super-pain to install, and there were no codecs to be found for my DVD-ROM.

Beans

I heard "all the popular programs have their free equivalents linux! all other programs can be emulated through wine! You have everything you need! Modern distros easy setup!"
    Whoever told you that lied to you.

I personally beleive the biggest problem in the community is lying to convert users. We don't need them that badly. I appologize for the mistakes of another zealot.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy

I personally beleive the biggest problem in the community is lying to convert users. We don't need them that badly. I appologize for the mistakes of another zealot.
    This is how it should be done:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...onvert+windows
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy

could be that was told "most" and heard "all."

I know that happens to me sometimes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    could be that was told "most" and heard "all."
    Sometimes its hard to represent your side even with moderate language.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I just did a Google search that leaves me resting easy that it was probably no one in these forums who said every Windows program has a Linux equivalent.

Beans

After reading the thread PoofyHairGuy posted I probably fall under the catagory:

What Users Shouldn’t Be Converted to Ubuntu

Biggest Category: Someone with a medium amount of Windows experience.
    I already knew how to do everything I wanted to do in windows. The biggest problem for me was every couple years needing to pay for security, then every several years for a new OS. I guess I am divided between someone who really shouldn't get linux and someone who should try linux. My experience leaves me ambivalent, nearly regretting that I installed linux. At the same time, I see that the community works hard to improve the software, so who knows what I'll like next year? It was my fault for not setting up a dual-boot first. I could always download a copy of windows and use my old key (since my rescue partition is gone), but I won't. Sink or swim I guess?
    Last edited by mousepad; September 6th, 2005 at 10:28 PM.

Beans

I already knew how to do everything I wanted to do in windows. The biggest problem for me was every couple years needing to pay for security, then every several years for a new OS. I guess I am divided between someone who really shouldn't get linux and someone who should try linux. My experience leaves me ambivalent, nearly regretting that I installed linux. At the same time, I see that the community works hard to improve the software, so who knows what I'll like next year? It was my fault for not setting up a dual-boot first. I could always download a copy of windows and use my old key (since my rescue partition is gone), but I won't. Sink or swim I guess?
    I must admit, despite being the person that wrote that document, I myself am a middle user. The thing is, I was not converted....I wanted something different.

I would suggest dual boot. I do it. I also suggest holding back a little while, collecting yourself, and try again with Breezy in a month when its released. Now that you have some experiance, you can figure out by then what you really want.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I guess I am divided between someone who really shouldn't get linux and someone who should try linux. My experience leaves me ambivalent, nearly regretting that I installed linux. At the same time, I see that the community works hard to improve the software, so who knows what I'll like next year? It was my fault for not setting up a dual-boot first. I could always download a copy of windows and use my old key (since my rescue partition is gone), but I won't. Sink or swim I guess?
    I'd say tough it out--maybe try a distro that works better with your hardware and that includes proprietary stuff (Ubuntu is too free to do everything automatically for you). I'd recommend Blag or Mepis.

Page 61 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast