View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 551 of 952 FirstFirst ... 51451501541549550551552553561601651 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,510 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is life 2 short 4 linux?

four: MS introduced PowerShell on Vista. The point and click adventure got command line interface. yeah!

CLI rocks! it's fast && easy.
    Last edited by zekopeko; January 26th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jaredm View Post
    Why in the 21st century are we using command lines at all? I realise for uber-geeks (respectfully) this may be fine, but if Linux is interested in a serious attempt at hitting MS where it hurts ie: on the desktop of average users the community has failed, and may lose the greatest chance of gaining 'market share' and becoming a mainstream OS.

Hi there,

The Command Line is a tool - a very effective one. I too feel that a better GUI would be great but I do feel that your remarks about the command line are not justified.

If you continue fighting the command line you'll never really learn how to use linux/Ubuntu with much authority and effectiveness.

I am a Geek, but a pretty lazy one at that and mist all the shiny knobs, bells and whistles of windows at first. But after about 2 or 3 months I really started using the command line and found it a really useful tool.

I'm not going to call you an stupid, but your statement in my opinion is stupid and not well researched. Even as a windows administrator I used Dos BATCH files and even in windows the command line is much faster than the icons.

Just an example. When working on a clients machine its much quicker to launch MS Word by clicking [start], [run], 'winword' [enter] than searching through the start menu for the bluddy shortcut.

By clicking [start], [run], 'cmd' [enter] and typing in 'ipconfig' is much faster than checking all the networking settings by mouse.

Honestly, fiddle with it and get to know it and in time you'll learn that all new tools require time and not ignorance to become useful.

Anyway, Cheers!

Rudolf
    My philosophy in life: If it's not broken, tweak it 'till it breaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I understand your comments, but would like to point out a couple of things.

To set up a Samba share on a Ubuntu machine can all be done with the GUI, apart from one thing, which is to set up the Samba user and password - one line in the Terminal. That one had me stuffed until I found out about it.

Also, you will find that many serious administrators of Windows systems will still use the command line as appropriate to do the things they need to do, so even in the offerings from Redmond the CLI is still used by many serious operators.

Beans

is life 2 short 4 linux?
    asking that in a linux forum is probably not a good idea as most people will be using linux, so there you have your answer. maybe ask in a windows forum.
    ...but if Linux is interested in a serious attempt at hitting MS where it hurts ie: on the desktop of average users the community has failed...
    i'm not sure the point of linux is hitting MS anywhere, i think it's about freedom. but, as there are so many devs maybe some of them will be trying to hit MS, i don't really know

as has been said the CLI is useful in windows too, i use linux because it's better than windows, but maybe it's not for you. computer skills are all learned, maybe you have spent so much time with windows you'll always have problems with linux because you have trouble re-learning
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans

I think that the open source project is a long and winding road to go and maybe you can say that, but we've come a long way...why not go ahead?

this is my thinking

;D

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The OP has a good point, though. What's wrong with Linux getting to the point to where the average end-user can have a smooth and easy Linux experience? I think it is heading more and more in that direction. I remember trying Linux around 1997 and giving up. Look how far things have come since then in making things easier for the average user. So that is the direction things should go, so that the average user can do all of the things an average user would want to do in a GUI. But never get rid of the command line for the people who want to do things more complex than an average user wants to do.

Maybe when we give support, we should keep in mind that some of these people are just average users, and we can show them how to do some of the command things by using GUI techniques.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

if Linux is interested in a serious attempt at hitting MS where it hurts ie: on the desktop of average users the community has failed, and may lose the greatest chance of gaining 'market share' and becoming a mainstream OS.
    I`m pretty stupid when it comes to a lot of this stuff but dosent the term "market-share" apply to stuff we actually have to pay for??
    The trick is not to be bothered about how many others use it but to enjoy using it yourself as thats what really counts.

Iv`e only used computers for a relatively short time but i`ve certainly learned a good bit more about the things since coming here to Ubuntu.
    Saying that though, iv`e actually learned so much more about Windows itself since i came here and that can only be a good thing

Lifes never too short to learn something new although i do wish there was more hours in the day sometimes....it`s just soooo hard to put down once you get into it

Good luck regardless
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by randiroo76073 View Post
    I would say no to your question, reasons: I'm 60 yrs young, spent most of life in construction[25yrs]. Had a stroke 5 yrs ago, no more construction. Took up putering, learned to build my own. For 5 yrs beat the hell out of 95,98,98se, 6 mos ago started with linux, currently have 14 distros installed. Was it easy, simply & succiently, no & hell no, frustrating, yes & at times intensely. Did I give up, nope, ya gota keep on truckin to get thru life, quit learnin or tryin to & your as good as dead, think outside of the box sometimes
    Well, Im not 60.... in my 40's
    Not had a stroke....good luck to you mate.

But man I totally agree with everything else you said.

If I don't try things, I feel I might as well not be here. Whats the point of life to just exist?

Good luck
    J

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jaredm View Post
    this is one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had with an OS.
    and this is your first post on the ubuntu forum
    why are you posting this? just whining?

it's a waste your experience was not a nice one. but i think it's you to blame.
    if you used the forums, you'd had everething up and running in no time. without touching the command line.

if you like to complain and blame the world: buy yourself a mac.

so long

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
    Whats the point of life to just exist?
    Kind of.

Page 551 of 952 FirstFirst ... 51451501541549550551552553561601651 ... LastLast