View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 511 of 952 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Not for absolute beginners !

Not for absolute beginners
    Mabey not for an experienced(windows) person like yourself but it was for a complete computer novice like me im afraid to say..

And thats certainly an impressive amount of cash to spend just to end up not having any clue on how to find "add/remove".................on ANY os!!

Good luck regardless......"applications>add/remove"
    Last edited by xpod; December 23rd, 2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: oops
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Not for absolute beginners !

Quote Originally Posted by steve.horsley View Post
    I think you would be likely to have just as much trouble if you were to try and compile windows applications from source instead of installing the ready-made binaries. Don't you think that windows is too unfriendly and that it's too hard for windows newbies and their grannies to compile windows applications from source?

gparted is there in synaptic package manager. System->Applications->Synaptic Package Manager, then search for gparted, right-click and mark for installation and click apply. If that's too hard, use this command in a command prompt:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    I don't know how many times I have to say this .....

gparted was not available in synaptic. It was in version 5.04, but since I formatted the harddrive and installed version 5.06, it isn't there any more.

I'm not that much of a noobie, it genuinely isn't there.

No wonder there is so much confusion, when posters don't fully comprehend what has been written.

It's a common enough mistake when writting anything, we assume that other folks will understand completely, and it isn't always the case.

I have the problem 'cos the wonderful ubuntu 6.06 appears to have installed poorly and incompletely, but I don't want to assume this as some of you folks can't accept that as a possibility, it's easier to assume the user is an imbecile.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by davidU View Post
    More rhubarb, it must be the Christmas holidays.

Not criticising the folks who genuinely want to help, just poking sticks at clever clogs who can't use English properly.

FYI: In v6.06, I used synaptic to find the partition tool, as no menu item was available to manage my disc partitions, as there had been in the earlier 5.04 installation of ubuntu.

gparted was not in any of the lists of applications, so I had to use the Search tool. This found the word gparted. But, there was no information in the details panel. It would appear that the installation was corrupt, and I then had to go to the web site to get the tarball. If there had been an Add/Remove program option readily available I would have used it.

My biggest difficulty is not straddling the differences between the operating systems, it is however, similarly of having to communicate with stupid users and some arrogant geeks who play with computers - of any description, and lack proper communication skills.
    This is what I found in Synaptic....for gparted.....in 6.06....where it apparently didn't provide anything but the word "gparted"

partition editor for GNOME
    It is a graphical editor which uses libparted to detect and manipulate
    devices and partition tables while several (optional) filesystem tools
    provide support for filesystems not included in libparted. These optional
    packages will be detected at runtime.
    It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS, JFS, HFS and
    Linux swap.

Sorry that this wasn't as it was in 5.04, but things change in different releases of any OS, especially Windows.

You can expect more rhubarb when you approach help with such an aggressive attitude.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Not for absolute beginners !

Quote Originally Posted by xpod View Post
    Mabey not for an experienced(windows) person like yourself but it was for a complete computer novice like me im afraid to say..

And thats certainly an impressive amount of cash to spend just to end up not having any clue on how to find "add/remove".................on ANY os!!

Good luck regardless......"applications>add/remove"
    See what I mean about clever clogs who only post derisory comments. Why don't you educate yourself big head.

That's how much it costs in this country, and you still get ripped off. So gloat all you like, I just hope you choke then you can't help anyone else.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmedia View Post
    This is what I found in Synaptic....for gparted.....in 6.06....where it apparently didn't provide anything but the word "gparted"

partition editor for GNOME
    It is a graphical editor which uses libparted to detect and manipulate
    devices and partition tables while several (optional) filesystem tools
    provide support for filesystems not included in libparted. These optional
    packages will be detected at runtime.
    It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS, JFS, HFS and
    Linux swap.

Sorry that this wasn't as it was in 5.04, but things change in different releases of any OS, especially Windows.

You can expect more rhubarb when you approach help with such an aggressive attitude.
    Thanks for your help, I know what the entry details should read, but the ignorant sneerers don't put me in a good mood, Christmas or no Christmas.

I have said often enough that in my installation of Ubuntu v.606, the entry for gparted is none existent.

It would appear that the installation is corrupt in some way, if you can accept that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See what I mean about clever clogs who only post derisory comments. Why don't you educate yourself big head.

That's how much it costs in this country, and you still get ripped off. So gloat all you like, I just hope you choke then you can't help anyone else.
    I really have to hold myself back from responding to this, because you expect others to learn to read/write english, yet you, as an experienced, english speaking, BSc graduate, have trouble doing so yourself, yet you want anyone who is trying to help you to crawl into your little head and know exactly what you want without you having to express yourself clearly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for your help, I know what the entry details should read, but the ignorant sneerers don't put me in a good mood, Christmas or no Christmas.

I have said often enough that in my installation of Ubuntu v.606, the entry for gparted is none existent.

It would appear that the installation is corrupt in some way, if you can accept that.

I believe you said that once. But you also said earlier that you found gparted in Synaptic, but all it said was the word "gparted" with no description.

I can believe that your installation may have been corrupted, but that is in no way clear in any of your messages.

I'm happy to try to help you if that's what you want, but if all you want to do is complain, I can handle that too.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    sorry, I didn't mean to be rude to you.

It appears that my installation of Ubuntu 6.06 may be corrupt.

I base this assumption on my search for gparted in synaptic which didn't find anything (except the word synaptic, there was no information at all, none resembling the information you have posted, and what I would have expected to find - so my OS or part of it must be damaged).

I have located the tarball containing gparted and the file is on my desktop. I would like to install the gparted application but did not know how to proceed.

Thanks to some posters to the forum, I have some links that I can follow to see if I can rectify the problem I appear to have.

Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,
    sorry, I didn't mean to be rude to you.

It appears that my installation of Ubuntu 6.06 may be corrupt.

I base this assumption on my search for gparted in synaptic which didn't find anything (except the word synaptic, there was no information at all, none resembling the information you have posted, and what I would have expected to find - so my OS or part of it must be damaged).

I have located the tarball containing gparted and the file is on my desktop. I would like to install the gparted application but did not know how to proceed.

Thanks to some posters to the forum, I have some links that I can follow to see if I can rectify the problem I appear to have.

Thank you for your help.
    I can believe that your installation may be corrupt. This can occur for a number of reasons. It does seem strange, though, that everything seems to work but you can't find gparted in Synaptic.

Please understand that I'm not an experienced Ubuntu/Linux user either, so I can try to help but I'll usually point you in the direction of other sources.

If you can't find gparted in the repositories I'd say it's not the fault of a corrupted installation, because the repositories are not based in the installation. The OS uses the repositories once you have installed the OS. So I wouldn't think that not finding gparted in the repos (repositories) indicates a corrupt installation.

BTW (by the way) the psychocats website has a lot of what you need as an Ubuntu beginner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

LOL
    Im sorry you feel that way.....honest
    I dont mean to make "deriosry" comments but your asking for a whole lot worse than mine with some of your own comments me thinks

Lets have it right ....just your "not for absolute beginners"statement itself is pretty outrageous as WHO else is it for if not for "absolute beginners???...Anybody who sits down at any os for the first time is an "absolute beginner" are they not??......

As far as my big head and my education is concerned.......well i aint the one who comes on a beginners forum ranting about how experienced i am & therefor how crap this whole thing must be cause i cant find add/remove etc.

Im the first one on this place to tell folks how little i know about computers and therefor how unlikely it is i`ll be able to help them......so i dont think they`ll miss me much here if i do choke but the wifes cooking is a bit dodgy so if you keep your fingers crossed on xmas day you never know your luck.....

Sorry it took a while to respond but my youngest was having a tantrum too so i had to deal with her complaints first....
    Anyway .......it`s xmas time so no hard feeling ok,...good luck with the education
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Page 511 of 952 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513521561611 ... LastLast