View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 503 of 952 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: What are they going to put right?

It just benefited from some very good marketing.
    That, and it was one of the first kids on the block before the new developments went in. It got a toehold and there was no one there to stand in the way. That is truly how it got where it is today.

Mr. Musashi, I think that has to be one of the best posts I've ever read. Well spoken!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    That, and it was one of the first kids on the block before the new developments went in. It got a toehold and there was no one there to stand in the way. That is truly how it got where it is today.

Mr. Musashi, I think that has to be one of the best posts I've ever read. Well spoken!!
    Thanks. I kind of thought I wasn't saying what I wanted to very well. However, I doubt this will be the end of the "ubuntu sucks windows is so great" threads, but I'm sure aysiu will keep dumping them here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    At first I thought this was serious Feisty-related discussion, but it appears it's just going back to a Windows v. Linux discussion, so I've put it in the appropriate place.
    Thanks for that, I was wondering which forum to post it in, there didn't seem to be one for discussing the contents of new releases.

Of course the point I was raising was not to bash U. in favour of MS-Windows, but to try to discover who decides what goes into releases (I mean features, packages) and to point out that the user experience of the out-of-the-box system is worse than that of Windows. Obviously Windows doesn't contain a lot of applications, it's an operating system. And, yes, you can spend real money by the time you've purchased Windows and various applications, games etc.

The Ubuntu aim seems to be to supply a set of toy (sorry but they are) programs to get people onto the Net and carrying out basic tasks as soon as possible. Contrast this with the Debian install that puts up a tick list of functions (various servers etc.) part way through the install so it's customised to the user's needs. Automatix recognises this and provides a way of users installing what they really need after the basic system installs. Why is this function not included in the U. system as a post-install feature? It seems so obvious.

I suspect Windows is now (maybe hasn't always been) the leader in hardware recognition and setup during install. My display wasn't recognised by U. at all when I tried to use the U. disk as a Live-CD, I had to trundle through dpkg-reconfigure options in the text mode, and make a few guesses, before I had a usable system, and this LCD display is hardly unusual. Power management doesn't work at all either. How is this a good experience for the new, unskilled user out-of the-box? As I said earlier, Knoppix (even when it came on a CD!) provided a richer, friendlier experience to new users.

I rather doubt issues like this are raised by beta testers, possibly that's not their job; in commercial companies product definition is usually a marketing responsiblility. So we're paying one of the hidden costs of going with open-source software!

Regds, m.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Is linux ready for the desktop?

Well, for single cell organisms, no, not yet, though it can be used quite competently by said organisms with no ill effects.

But if you got two (or more) brain cells, and they like to sit there elbowing each other saying, "BLOODY HELL, DID YOU SEE THAT?", then linux is more than ready!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Someone there wanted Linux to support a modem, even at the login screen. I have a Motorola VoiceSurfr (old stuff I guess) and once I'd entered the stuff necessary (number, username, password) I could connect by opening 'network-admin' and clicking activate. Now the problem, till some time ago, was that everytime Ubuntu started it would 'activate network interfaces'. This meant it would automatically connect every time the computer was on.

Now here's something to chew on. As long as there is power supplied to the computer, and if the modem had power and was connected, the computer would switch on every time there was a call. (I have no idea how) The default boot was Ubuntu Dapper and what I described in paragraph one would happen. One day it connected in the middle of the night and the only reason I found out was because someone wanted to call me (they got me on the mobile phone). When I reached the computer, it was connected, but I was at the graphical login screen.

Now to use the standard logic of those who complain in threads like this:
    I assume that since this is my experience it is completely representative of everyone's experience of linux. Hence I conclude that modems work.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by argie View Post
    Someone there wanted Linux to support a modem, even at the login screen. I have a Motorola VoiceSurfr (old stuff I guess) and once I'd entered the stuff necessary (number, username, password) I could connect by opening 'network-admin' and clicking activate. Now the problem, till some time ago, was that everytime Ubuntu started it would 'activate network interfaces'. This meant it would automatically connect every time the computer was on.

Usually the activade network interfaces (if I am correct) indicates that your lan card is working, it doesnt refer to your modem

Now here's something to chew on. As long as there is power supplied to the computer, and if the modem had power and was connected, the computer would switch on every time there was a call. (I have no idea how) The default boot was Ubuntu Dapper and what I described in paragraph one would happen. One day it connected in the middle of the night and the only reason I found out was because someone wanted to call me (they got me on the mobile phone). When I reached the computer, it was connected, but I was at the graphical login screen.

But do you want the PC to boot up on any incoming call? You can change that probably in the BIOS if you don't want

Now to use the standard logic of those who complain in threads like this:
    I assume that since this is my experience it is completely representative of everyone's experience of linux. Hence I conclude that modems work.
    Should this post be in this thread anyway?
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    I suspect Windows is now (maybe hasn't always been) the leader in hardware recognition and setup during install.

Regds, m.
    I hope your basis for this claim is because you have done numerous windows installs. I know I have and I can say that windows does not recognize hardware all that well. I had no internet, no sound, a 640x480 screen. Yes, CD worked, SATA worked and I did have some video, but Ubuntu did better. Breezy didn't but both Dapper and Edgy gave me intertet, sound, and full resolution screen plus CD, SATA - in fact, everything worked. I didn't have to install a single driver (although I did install the nvidia driver to do beryl but that a bit beyond a normal install - although sabayon does this it at instal). With XP I had to install the all the drivers for my motherboard before I had sound or network or was able to up my resolution beyond 800x600.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that windows is the leader in hardware recognition. Even after install, I don't have any trouble mounting USB drives (have two), MP3 players (have two), external hard drives (have three) or digital cameras (have three). I don't use a printer so I can't speak to that particular issue.

I've installed Ubuntu on 5 different models of laptops (all dell) and two desktops (one dell and one custom build) and I have yet to have any trouble with hardware recognition. Maybe dells are well suited to Ubuntu but a fresh install of windows on any of these is a royal pain. My custom build was the most difficult - probably because I didn't know I needed to buy linux compatible hardware when I built it. I had a lot of trouble with breezy and windows but once dapper came out I was in heaven.

I know some people have not had as good of luck but is that Ubuntu's fault? Exactly how many different bits of hardware is it supposed to be able to recognize? It will never be able to do every single combination in existence. However, based on my experience it does a better job than windows (unless you buy one pre-installed and the pc maker made it run).

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Linux Ubuntu as the OS of choice

I decided recently to have a look at two versions of Linux, (Fedora & Ubuntu) and generally, I am wondering why anyone would spend hard earned cash on Microsoft or other equivalents, (both for business and personal computing).
    I am impressed, however, I don't think I am a computer dummy, but installing some applications is an absolute pain in the butt, and I doubt whether the average user is able to do it.
    This is where I wonder at the arrogance of the developers of these two OS's, (probably Linux in general).
    Windows and Apple have got this right, simply click on the setup.exe or install and the installer does the rest.
    Why, when Windows and Apple have set the standard, have Linux developers not done the equivalent?

Until such time as this is simplified for all applications, the geeks will continue to feel proud, and the users will stay away, which is a pity.

Can anyone from the Linux development fraternity give a meaningful answer?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Linux Ubuntu as the OS of choice

It's not really arrogance that some things are hard to install, it's that Linux started out as an operatings system for and by geeks. It is sometimes assumed that you know all of this, not in an elitist fashion but more in the sense that all car mechanics should know how to replace an engine part.
    Ubuntu > Windows
    Man is free at the instant he wants to be. -- Voltaire

Beans

Re: Linux Ubuntu as the OS of choice

Have you ever heard of a thing called synaptic???
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Page 503 of 952 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast