View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 41 of 952 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Open thoughts about Linux...

OK, just a small point on making money from software (or computers in general).

Just take this example.
    - The government needs a program to make geographical charts.
    - One of it's institutes gets an amount of money to do it
    - Said instituted has programmers/designers working for it, who do the job.
    - They release the result under the GPL
    - Any other government body can also use the resulting software
    - I, the taxpayer who funded the development in the first place can also download the software and even improve it if I had a use for it. This benefits me and the program maker (maybe the modifications I made ar usefull for the government too).

The other alternative is to pay a commercial vendor who keeps the code.
    - I fund the goverment which pays the company
    - the company pays the programmers (most likely in a low-wage country)
    - The goverment has a license to use the program. If another service wants it, it costs money all over again
    - I cannot use nor enhance the product I helped pay for. So the possible benefit for myself and others is lost.

The number of paid programmers is about the same, yet the benefits to society as a whole are much greater with Free Software.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    That is just the point I wanted to make. Their is no 'The Dekstop'. There are a number of different desktops out there.
    Linux suits mine much better then Windows does, so if asked, I say it is ready for the desktop. Equally, I would grade windows as not ready for my version of the Dekstop. If I was a heavy gamer, things would be different, but I'm not.

For this argument to be made, you will first need to define which desktop you use as the baseline (point by point) and then evaluate how well each contender does for each point in your list.
    I agree. But chances are the more things you might want to do higher the probability that using Windows will give you a better experience, simply because it has more and better applications for many things. The basic things (like browsing folders or pictures or even burning a CD) might even already be better on linux today. I really like GNOME. I miss sophisticated apps like Photoshop or SoundForge.

Oh and about the agressive marketing: I never said Linux should use agressive marketing, exactly the opposite!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    If you are aware of that, then why did you write something different?
    Where? I think you should ready my previous post where i complained about not enough people charging money for software on linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux made an otherwise-unuseable computer useable by me, allowing me to rescue data already stored on its fat32 partitions. That computer, now six years old and well past its "useful" consumer life is now in use by an entire household for e-mail and network tasks.

That alone has made me a convert.

Are there shortcomings? Yes. Administering many things requires a bit of study and familiarity with a command line, still. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, since I grew up on MS-DOS.

I should say here that I can't understand the original poster's complaint about the windows keys. Since their mysterious appearance on new keyboards in 1995, I have never figured out a single good use for them, and have ignored them. Playing with them now, at work, running win2k, I note that I've not been missing much. I'll need to find some more productive use for them when I get home.

In a way, I'm not scared of linux because I wasn't scared of DOS when I was little. I started getting scared of computers when Win95 began the process of abstracting more and more function from me, and I couldn't keep up with the way things were done.

Linux isn't Windows, guys. The sooner you realise and accept that, the easier the transition is. You have to be humble enough to acknowledge that you are learning a new OS, and to be receptive to learning it. The admission of ignorance, after all, is the beginning of wisdom.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntp
    I agree. But chances are the more things you might want to do higher the probability that using Windows will give you a better experience, simply because it has more and better applications for many things. The basic things (like browsing folders or pictures or even burning a CD) might even already be better on linux today. I really like GNOME. I miss sophisticated apps like Photoshop or SoundForge.
    It's not the more things you want to do with your desktop. It depends on *what* you want to do with your desktop.

If you want a graphical design desktop, maybe windows does better (I don't know), but probably, MacOS beats them both.

If you want a coding desktop, chances are that Linux suits you better.

If you want a security/forensics station, Linux beats the competition hands down.

If you do mainly surfing, IM, Office, ... Linux takes the lead again in my opinion, specially the lack of virusses/spyware is a big advantage.

This is the heart of the whole discussion.

Just a note, my wife is opening a store, all the internal desktops will be running Ubuntu... it offers all that is needed and does it well.

Oh and about the agressive marketing: I never said Linux should use agressive marketing, exactly the opposite!
    I know, I was referring to you stating that Linux shouldn't fight agressive marketing with agressive marketing. It shouldn't and it isn't, so we agree on this.
    But I do think that many parts of the agressive marketing of MS are immoral and often illegal, so I really would like to see it stopped.

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    In a way, I'm not scared of linux because I wasn't scared of DOS when I was little. I started getting scared of computers when Win95 began the process of abstracting more and more function from me, and I couldn't keep up with the way things were done.

Linux isn't Windows, guys. The sooner you realise and accept that, the easier the transition is. You have to be humble enough to acknowledge that you are learning a new OS, and to be receptive to learning it. The admission of ignorance, after all, is the beginning of wisdom.
    I went through the same cycle 8 years ago. Indeed, letting go of what you knew and accept that something is different is the first and biggest step off the way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Seems I was a bit late on this thread....though it wasnt a bad idea to move it. The entire argument can be summed up very simply.....

Linux + "learning curve" + properly asked questions / (ubuntu forums + other resources ) = a fairly stable system that "just works".

As long as users are willing to ask the right questions, or the wrong questions in the proper way, and they are willing enough to get their hands a little dirty at first , then I feel that such a user would be happy with the end product. There arent Stupid questions, nor are the people who ask such questions themselves stupid. They are uninformed , and its up to use to inform them. The more gently and calmly that we can do this, the more people we will slowly ebb the tide of the current consumer/hobbyist/enduser - base.

Of course with individuals as Gabbahead , who started this thread to begin with, its hard. Its hard to satisfy a need with a user that has preconcieved opinions about the way things should work, coupled with a desire to do nothing other than just point and click. The Linux community will find it hard to accomodate these users, because no system is without its need of administration and configuration that involves more than a point and click.

I use Ubuntu, I invite my friends to use Ubuntu, and I support the Ubuntu cause.

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntp
    Where? I think you should ready my previous post where i complained about not enough people charging money for software on linux.
    I support that idea myself, but unfortunately not everyone will give his time for a greater good. Eventually there will be kids to feed and bills to pay. Also what's so evil about charging money for software? If it helps you to be more productive or earn money yourself why not pay for it?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=65

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    But I do think that many parts of the agressive marketing of MS are immoral and often illegal, so I really would like to see it stopped.
    I think the Linux community should not bother with Microsoft marketing at all, nor should they spend any ressources fighting their propetiary standards. I'll eleborate later.

Beans

Yes but thats exactly what i said. I'm confused, or maybe you are.

Page 41 of 952 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast