View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 256 of 952 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356756 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux in state of chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by enyaw
    Ubuntu lives off its billionaire

Such a remark as this post makes is uncalled for, and such a remark should raise the hackels on every Ubuntarian. Unbuntu lives because it's the best.

Additionally: Linux is an adventure.

Also, I don't want computing in a can.
    I'd have to disagree. From a strictly financial standpoint, Ubuntu would not and could not exist without the generosity and vision of Mark Shuttleworth.

Eventually it may become an economically sustainable business model through business enterprise and support, but right now I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Ubuntu is operating at a net loss.

Also, from a software standpoint, I don't know if Ubuntu is "the best." I've used other Linux distributions that have more graphical frontends for things, proprietary codecs installed by default (most end-users, not Linux idealists, consider this a good thing), and more stability in the installer.

But Ubuntu does have a lot of things going for it:

1. It may not be the best now but it's progressing at a rate that seems to make it a good candidate for being the best within a year.

2. Its support is the best--in the form of these forums.

3. It's completely free--no enterprise edition, no subscription or club, no nominal fee.

4. It gets a lot of press and is the top hit at DistroWatch.

5. It ships CDs for free--including postage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: Linux in state of chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I'd have to disagree. From a strictly financial standpoint, Ubuntu would not and could not exist without the generosity and vision of Mark Shuttleworth.

Eventually it may become an economically sustainable business model through business enterprise and support, but right now I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Ubuntu is operating at a net loss.

Also, from a software standpoint, I don't know if Ubuntu is "the best." I've used other Linux distributions that have more graphical frontends for things, proprietary codecs installed by default (most end-users, not Linux idealists, consider this a good thing), and more stability in the installer.

But Ubuntu does have a lot of things going for it:

1. It may not be the best now but it's progressing at a rate that seems to make it a good candidate for being the best within a year.

2. Its support is the best--in the form of these forums.

3. It's completely free--no enterprise edition, no subscription or club, no nominal fee.

4. It gets a lot of press and is the top hit at DistroWatch.

5. It ships CDs for free--including postage.
    aysiu...Of course you are correct. However, I would had preferred the OP to use a more respectful or tactful way to express such throughts where Ubuntu is concerned.
    Last edited by enyaw; July 4th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by enyaw
    aysiu...Of course you are correct. However, I would had preferred the OP to use a more respectful or tactful way to express such throughts when refering to Ubuntu.
    Ah, good point. You were critiquing the mode of expression, not the facts themselves. I guess I made a big deal out of nothing.

Beans

Re: Why does everything have to be a struggle...

Just a couple of comparisons:
    I too used windows for years, I have also installed it 100's of times, and still, to this very day I am doing it for people.

Codecs, windows does not come with .mov, rm, xvid, DivX codecs (see klite mega codec pack).

Msn messenger is a box that you type words into and chat. So is amsn, mine does what it's supposed to do on Ubuntu.

I wouldn't change an operating system because a $5 webcam can't show me a small, low res, slow moving image of the other person on messenger.(which is what happens on windows).Maybe it's very important for some people, I can live without it.

I now use Gaim to connect to msn, I don't use fluffy icons, psychadelic letters, emoticons and whatever else my windows using friends are getting so excited about these days. I type a message and click enter.

For my sister in law to use her webcam with messenger, I had to open ports on her router,(oh by the way, her webcam comes with proprietry drivers supplied on a CD, which are not however, available to the open source community) So in Linux, there are thousands of dedicated programmers sweating for hours free of charge trying to create drivers for $5 dollar webcams so that people can see slow moving fuzzy images over the internet.

While checking the system I found 2 trojans that had bypassed the firewall and antivirus and various spyware. I also defragged, did a reg-clean, and updated the antivirus. I used spybot S&D to get rid of the spyware, then I deleted the last system restore and created another. I downloaded the latest security patches from Microsoft (7Mb), because apparently seven year old kids and are having no problem exploiting Internet Explorer and Outlook.

I will do without flashy lights, fuzzy images and sexy fonts for the sake of security.

Thank God for Ubuntu

Amen

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Why does everything have to be a struggle...

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptopsy
    Please forgive me and allow me to vent for a second.

I have been a windows user for about 10 years. A few days ago I decided to switch to Ubuntu because of all the rave reviews it gets.

So basically, my question is.... how do you guys do it? How do you use Ubuntu on a day-to-day basis and not freak out all the time? I just dont see the advantage of switching to Linux just yet other then the security of it.
    My reasons will probably not suit you, or many for that matter, I started with windows 95 when in grade 8, my mum knew how to change the background before I did back then, I knew nothing! But I persisted, in grade 9 I was given a 386 while in boarding school, by grade 10 I had built my first computer, and only started using linux after highschool. Back in those days I'd do alot from dos, and loved the command line in linux, put simply, if there was no CLI in linux I would never have bothered with it, I use it every day and do things I just CANNOT do in windows, I don't have the troubles you have, my laptop power and resume functions work, my wireless works, my video and codecs work.

Simply put, when I'm in windows, I find it hard thinking down to it's level, because it just cannot do what I want it to do.
    Desktop System: [ Dual Boot (bootloader: grub) -> Windows XP SP2 - deprecated :: Ubuntu 6.06 ]
    Laptop: ASUS W1 :: All Ubuntu, baby!

Beans

Re: Linux sucks for most consumers

i wnat to get ubunto but i dont how to do it by mail cause i live in Cuba and i want to receive the free Cd with the ubunto distribution

Beans

Wow this is fun.

where would we be if linux was perfect and ruled the world.

We would have nothing to chat about...

J

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I think that ubuntu almost perfectly meets the needs of the business world, the server world, and the education world.

But I don't think that ubuntu meets the needs of the home user, at least not legally. I presented that arguement in the ubuntu marketing channel and I was met with the opinion that all home users do is use email and surf the net. So I took a basic "show of hands" amongst my friends parents.

two of them rated their 'skill' with a computer to be average and they used the built in DVD player to watch movies, they played games, and they did the other basic 6 things. The other 6, however, rated themselves as 'not good' with computers and did almost the exact same things.

My mother, whom I excluded from the 'survey', fits the 'home user' ideal of only email and surfing, except for the X factor: her 5 year old child who likes to play games and watch movies on the computer. I can't recommend Ubuntu to them simply because it would be illegal for them to have the functionality they want, and that saddens me. I hope that in the near future legal dvd playback can come built in or easily available to an Ubuntu home user.

another thing that could be added/altered is a better Synaptic type program. I LOVE CNR, it allows for community reviews and screenshots etc. If there were someway a program like this could find it's way into edgy I'd be a happy camper. and also the better installation of software in general, it doesn't have to be like windows .exe installs... but I would hope that something as easy or easier can be worked out...
    Last edited by Adamant1988; July 5th, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Linux is an alternative to Windows and OSX not a replacement. You pays yer money, (or not in the case of Linux) you takes yer choice. As has been mentioned before, your average Joe isn't even aware of Linux, let alone know how to install and use it. Recently, I replaced my parents XP machine with Ubuntu. They don't know much about computers, and I was concerned about security issues with their set up. I transfered all their documents, and installed ubuntu - not only did it run about 10x faster on the machine, but they dont need to bother with antivirus, defragging or a software firewall (they are behind a router). They love ubuntu. But previous to me installing it, they had no idea about Linux.

But the word is getting out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure if I see the point any more in arguing about whom Linux is perfect for or appropriate for. God knows I've argued it back and forth many times on this forum (probably in this very thread).

All I know is that there are some people who should be using Linux but who have never even heard of it, and there are some people who should not be using Linux but insisting on trying to install it and use it.

Page 256 of 952 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356756 ... LastLast