View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Knome_fan Guest

Re: Linux Desktops for human beings

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Aurora
    What I am saying is that I am OVERJOYED that you are using linux and have no problems.
    Thank you, very moving. I'm close to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Aurora
    I know others like you that try to admit that heck I was once one of them, but in actuality you are only right now not experiencing any problems, you will in the future have some problems that no one has solved. Then what do you do...
    Sorry, but what a senseless statement.
    1. You don't know me, yet you try to lump me in with a crowd you describe as delusional. I don't really like this kind of behavior, to put it mildly.
    2. You claim that I will have problems in the future. What kind of argument is that? A total non-argument. Do you know the future? Apparently you think you do, yet you describe others as delusional? Interesting, to say the least.

So what on earth are you trying to tell me?

Beans

What up between you all and Aurora... Well never mind, maybe I shouldn't ask.

I do have another question however, are yal sure that linux will ever be on the desktop. Personally, I like ATI Radeon cards and they are propietary (however you say it) software. I like netgear and they work on my linux platform, but they all required effort from me on the end user side to get them running properly.
    Well,
    Big Venus, its show time...

Later...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    So what on earth are you trying to tell me?
    Maybe what he or she was saying is that you should show both sides of the equation. Like I said earlier today, I am trying to show both sides of the fence.
    Well,
    Big Venus, its show time...

Later...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Big Venus

I do have another question however, are yal sure that linux will ever be on the desktop. Personally, I like ATI Radeon cards and they are propietary (however you say it) software. I like netgear and they work on my linux platform, but they all required effort from me on the end user side to get them running properly.
    Linux already works on the desktop for anyone willing to make a little effort, or for anyone not afraid to try something new. I still say it's not "ready for Grandma" - I know, I'm repeating myself. I have used nothing but Linux on the desktop for the past 5 years -and recently Mac OS X, but as I said earlier, the Mac doesn't get a lot of use.
    Registered Linux User: #182084 - July 2000
    http://counter.li.org/ | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Knome_fan Guest

I do have another question however, are yal sure that linux will ever be on the desktop.
    I'm sure that linux is already on the desktop. If you want to know if I'm sure if linux' market share on the desktop will increase, I'm pretty certain that it will, also it will take time, but unlike some other people I don't actually know what will happen in the future.

Personally, I like ATI Radeon cards and they are propietary (however you say it) software. I like netgear and they work on my linux platform, but they all required effort from me on the end user side to get them running properly.
    Can't comment on ATI, as I'm using an Nvidia card. The nvidia driver at least is very easy to install in ubuntu and seeing that ATI is finally improving it's linux support and now even has a graphical installer afaik, I don't really see your problem.

And what netgear equipment did need effort to get it to run?

Knome_fan Guest

Maybe what he or she was saying is that you should show both sides of the equation. Like I said earlier today, I am trying to show both sides of the fence.
    What exactly are the two sides and what's the side I'm not showing?

Beans

Aurora is the resident Windows fan. I appreciate it because otherwise no one keeps us on our toes.

I do have another question however, are yal sure that linux will ever be on the desktop.
    Yep..its on my desktop. Thousands of other peoples desktops too.

Personally, I like ATI Radeon cards and they are propietary (however you say it) software.
    Actually thats hardware not software (not to nit pick but thats a big difference). And my ATI card works fine in Ubuntu. I'll admit its a little hard to set up (compared to "next,next,next,next,") but it works fine.

If its too much work for you (and millions of others) then fine...use XP. XP is stable, easy to find documentation and drivers for. And we won't think less of you for it....but we will keep using Linux because its what we like.

I'm trying my best to be a eloquate zealot....
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Yep..its on my desktop. Thousands of other peoples desktops too.
    The Linux Counter Project has made the greatest effort to come up with the number of Linux users. This is a difficult task, but they've been at it for 10 years now. Their latest estimate is 29 million users - no idea how many of them are desktop users, but there may be some info on the web site.

Get Counted: Linux Counter Project
    Registered Linux User: #182084 - July 2000
    http://counter.li.org/ | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    When you can go into bestbuy and get a fully working 64 bit Windows...we will have it hammered out.
    By the heart-shaped **** of Helen of Troy, I can't even get a fully working 32 bit Windows at Best Buy, or anywhere else. Microsoft never even got the 16 bit version working perfectly.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

It's on mine. It's on my wife's. It's on my father's. That's good enough for me. What strangers run on their PCs is none of my business, and therefore not my problem.

Personally, I like ATI Radeon cards and they are propietary (however you say it) software. I like netgear and they work on my linux platform, but they all required effort from me on the end user side to get them running properly.
    That's your complaint? That ATI and Netgear products don't work like magic on Linux, but instead require a little effort on your part? If you want a computer that can be used without any effort on your part, I recommend Nintendo. Good luck doing anything but games on one, though.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 22 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast