View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Linux Desktops for human beings

I've read the whole thread by now, and i am wondering, if someone actually has read the article?! The article DOES NOT say windows or Os X is really better than linux! it compares different approaches and gives good ideas on how a operating system could improve in the future! while i do not understand the package manager critic, too

note that windows is not a good desktop-os in the view of the author either!!!

I actually think that ubuntu is nearer to be THE desktop system than win is. why?

because it has a clear layout and synaptic is easy to use (icons would be a great idea btw, or maybe an option to hide all librarys, so that only apps are shown). overall i like to install applications under linux. just try it with win. it is described above . i find it annoying to close hundreds of ads to download a lousy free archiving software. Of course, there is still the need of the CLI, and some packages dont install menu entries. but these are minor problems which should can solved in the future.

i am using linux for my desktop, because i was completely pissed off the 200 tray icons my windows needed to run properly. no one can say that windows is more user friendly than ubuntu. all the hardware issues (because of a lack of support for linux by hardware vendors) can't be taken into consideration here. my mother loves linux. i installed her a clean desktop, removed everything she does not need, altered the taskbar to her wishes (3 apps and a log off button). try this with windows. now that i've set up everything, i can be sure that it will stay like that.

my moral is: linux needs better hardware support, but is headed in the right direction. i think that people writing articles like this can really provide ideas for the future. i would not like to have a desktop like that, but for many users it would make linux more usable then windows is today. thats the freedom, you choose.

cheers,

kai

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phen
    my moral is: linux needs better hardware support
    Problem is that lots of time Linux and its community can't do a thing about hardware support. Some companies (I'm glaring at you broadcom) seem to hate Linux and refuse to help it in any way. No much we can do then....except boycott their damn products.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Problem is that lots of time Linux and its community can't do a thing about hardware support. Some companies (I'm glaring at you broadcom) seem to hate Linux and refuse to help it in any way. No much we can do then....except boycott their damn products.
    Agreed, linux can't do a lot of things for hardware support. But I am not going to boycott any products because I like my hardware my saitek joysticks and my natural keyboard... So if I won't change then Linux will have to and this is not just my opinion but others as well...
    Later...
    Aurora ...

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Aurora
    Agreed, linux can't do a lot of things for hardware support. But I am not going to boycott any products because I like my hardware my saitek joysticks and my natural keyboard... So if I won't change then Linux will have to and this is not just my opinion but others as well...
    Don't you ever get tired of telling us that you are not using Linux?
    Anyway, considering the situation Linux is in (with MS having a near monopoly on the desktop) I think it is amazing how much hardware runs without a problem with a modern Linux distribution. And believe it or not, I never ever had problems getting my hardware to work with linux and I don't feel I'm missing anything hardwarewise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    Don't you ever get tired of telling us that you are not using Linux?
    Anyway, considering the situation Linux is in (with MS having a near monopoly on the desktop) I think it is amazing how much hardware runs without a problem with a modern Linux distribution. And believe it or not, I never ever had problems getting my hardware to work with linux and I don't feel I'm missing anything hardwarewise.
    I am showing some restraint this time, (learned lesson from FedoraForum.org)...
    Yes I am using Windows as my primary and I am GLAD you haven't had any problems, but I speak for myself and for others like Venus said that may be looking at the forums first and letting them as well as people I know that use to and some that still do use linux. I am just letting them and those that still use it voice their opinions because even them have problems with hardware and software. They suck it in and try to do like you do and say that they like haven't had problems, but yet I know better...
    Later...
    Aurora ...

Knome_fan Guest

Don't, I'm not that easily offended

Yes I am using Windows as my primary and I am GLAD you haven't had any problems, but I speak for myself and for others like Venus said that may be looking at the forums first and letting them as well as people I know that use to and some that still do use linux.
    I'm having a really hard time making sense of what you wrote.

I am just letting them and those that still use it voice their opinions because even them have problems with hardware and software. They suck it in and try to do like you do and say that they like haven't had problems, but yet I know better...
    This isn't much better either, but if you are trying to tell me you know better if I had poblems, you might want to reconsider that statement.

Beans

Yes I am using Windows as my primary and I am GLAD you haven't had any problems, but I speak for myself and for others like Venus said that may be looking at the forums first and letting them as well as people I know that use to and some that still do use linux. I am just letting them and those that still use it voice their opinions because even them have problems with hardware and software. They suck it in and try to do like you do and say that they like haven't had problems, but yet I know better...
    What I am saying is that I am OVERJOYED that you are using linux and have no problems. I know others like you that try to admit that heck I was once one of them, but in actuality you are only right now not experiencing any problems, you will in the future have some problems that no one has solved. Then what do you do...
    Later...
    Aurora ...

Beans

Not sure if I understand correctly, but I _think_ you're saying Linux users claim to have no problems, but you "know better"????

If we're talking about hardware, I can tell you Ubuntu works perfectly on my Dell notebook. If we're talking about software, I can tell you Ubuntu is working better for me than any other distro, and I've tried, ahh.... pretty much ALL of them!
    Registered Linux User: #182084 - July 2000
    http://counter.li.org/ | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04

Beans

But I am not going to boycott any products because I like my hardware my saitek joysticks and my natural keyboard...
    Fine...don't. Luckily enough companies make enough hardware that works 100% with Linux. That is the stuff I'll buy. Other Linux fans will too. You just want to buy anything and have it work...yet another way of saying "I'm the target market for Windows" Aurora....

So if I won't change then Linux will have to and this is not just my opinion but others as well...
    How can Linux change this? Do us zealots go to the houses of the CEO of companies whose products don't work with Linux and say "make us drivers or someone will get hurt." I hope not....I'd rather not have drivers.

I'm amazed as many things work as they do. You are not. Enjoy Longhorn...I won't think any less of you for it....
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

What I am saying is that I am OVERJOYED that you are using linux and have no problems. I know others like you that try to admit that heck I was once one of them, but in actuality you are only right now not experiencing any problems, you will in the future have some problems that no one has solved. Then what do you do...
    Fix them. Deal with them. Pay money to make the problems go away. Same thing I would do in OSX, Window's, FREEBSD, etc.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 21 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121521 ... LastLast