View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 952 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    -hoary most likely will miss : beagle, dashboard, a killer-app
    I'm trying not to be noob, but neither wikipedia or google told me what beagle or dashboard is. Care to explain? (please)

ralph_ubuntu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I'm trying not to be noob, but neither wikipedia or google told me what beagle or dashboard is. Care to explain? (please)
    http://www.beaglewiki.org/index.php/Beagle
    http://www.beaglewiki.org/index.php/...is%20Dashboard

Beans

Thx.

Wow, that looks cool! If Ubuntu is going to throw all its weight behind Gnome, it needs this kind of stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Warty hardly is ready, I think Hoary will be a good indicator of how much work is ahead of us.

The main problem is still that we can't legally ship a lot of functionality that end users expect, like the ability to play DVDs, mp3s, wma/wmvs and so on. That problem sadly has no easy solution.

Another thing is translations, they are far from perfect in Warty, hopefully Ubuntu will work hard to reach out to the translation teams to get their own stuff translated properly, and please reconsider the idea of only shipping 10-15 languages, I would feel violated as a translator if I worked my ass off and I didn't get my work shipped by Ubuntu, looking at how the translation efforts are doing right now:

2 languages at 95% or better (Danish being one of them thank you very much, MWH has worked his butt off getting us there)
    11 at 85% or better
    25 at 80% or better

And this is for the development branch of GNOME (2.10), this early in the game that's impressive, since the string freeze isn't even in place yet. I'm willing to bet that we can get 25 at 90% or better with proper support (for the GNOME 2.8 branch that's now 33 languages). So it's a matter of someone (Ubuntu maybe) sponsoring the right interstructure for translators, and you will see impressive results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

about the linux certified hardware website:
    http://hardware.linuxfaqs.de/

There are many more like this site.
    cool
    I didn't know such a thing existed. But it would be more handy if there was just 1 or 2 sites that have a comprehensive overview. It sucks if you have to browse a lot of sites and still have to use google. But it's better than nothing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Warty hardly is ready, I think Hoary will be a good indicator of how much work is ahead of us.

The main problem is still that we can't legally ship a lot of functionality that end users expect, like the ability to play DVDs, mp3s, wma/wmvs and so on. That problem sadly has no easy solution.
    I also think Ubuntu needs to have the media support. But I'll create a custom ubuntu cd when hoary releases.

Ubuntu needs to mature a bit. I think hoary will be ready. But we need a killer app that's going to attract people. Like games for windows XP.

If only we could have dashboard and beagle in hoary long before longhorn . That would truly rock.

All the things average-desktop-users do often have to be in ubuntu. Are there any more features/high level user tasks you guys can think of that we didn't discuss ?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I would be really grateful if Ubuntu would throw some cash and labor at GNOME storage and SystemServices - but that's probably not happening any time soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    I would be really grateful if Ubuntu would throw some cash and labor at GNOME storage and SystemServices - but that's probably not happening any time soon.
    can you be a bit more specific ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    Theres no law that says you can't have a DVD player. No one owns the right to DVD movies and
    Cool CD Linux allready has a fullyworking one...

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's what I think users will want, and have been thinking so for a while.

A package management system revamp. Preferably, you could download a .deb or whatever, double click on it, and a graphical install manager would come up that would connect to the apt databases to download the dependencies available there, and then, this is the tricky part, when creating these packages, the developer or packager should always have the URLs to debs of dependencies that AREN'T provided through apt. Dependencies are still very much an issue for software not in the apt repositories, and the lack of a graphical installer for standalone .deb files not downloaded through apt will be a slight thorn in the side. One of the strengths (and at the same time, one of the crippling weaknesses) Windows has is that it almost always comes with all the dll files it needs, which leads to a lot of bloat and unnecessary duplicates. But to the user, everything just works.

I don't know how much effort this would take beyond the obvious muck of getting maintainers to update their packages to provide the new information, and I also don't know how far away from Debian this would make Ubuntu, but I've been wanting something like that in a distro for a long time.

Page 2 of 952 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast