View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 111 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!! Sorry folks.

Hi,
    Just had to mention that my 10 yr. old son, just finished putting together a computer he built from an old Compaq Presario and parts he found in yard sales. It has an old Pentium II 400 Mgh Processor, he put in a 5Gig HDD in which he installed WinXP, and a 40 Gig Hdd in which he installed Ubuntu, I showed him where to find Automatix, and he did everything else himself. Not only did he not use just Linux compatible Hardware, Most of the hardware he used we have no idea even what brand it is. Even the memory chips were from a yard sale and he put in a 256, and two 128's and they work, (Imagine my shock!) He just did this last night and he has this thing up and running almost as well as my emachines, (new in Feb. 05.) He even connected to my HP printer through my computer. (Something I haven't been able to do is hook up to the network computer yet.) I am the first to admit that Ubuntu may not be perfect yet, which may be why they are developing a new version every 6 month's. But Windows is far from perfect too. Which is why it is constantly under development. Oh, Yeh, He is still working on the WinXP install, SP2, and several hours of updates, installing all his programs for anti virus, antispyware, antiadware, antieverythingware. I'm afraid he will run out of hardrive before he gets it setup. I tried about ten distro's myself before I settled on Ubuntu, "because it just works" I guess it just boils down to the fact that, if we all wanted the same things in life it would be a simple world, but it would also be totally boring. God gave us the freedom to choose, why should Bill Gates take it away?
    Carl

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hmm....

Is linux ready for the desktop... If i'm honest, i'm inclined to say <no> here, i'll try to explain why:

- Diversity (How does a newbie select wich distribution to use?)
    - Multiple desktops (How does a newbie select wich desktop to use from the dosens out there?)
    - Hardware support, what's supported, what's not, there really should be a repository about this.
    - Arcane commands - A newbie user might have some familiarity with DOS or some other OS's that had a console, and suddenly he has to use cp instead of copy, mv instead of move, rm instead of del or delete....(*)

I myself have used linux since the 90's, i remember installing slackware 2.something on 386DX computers, and i'm rather familiar with various other OS's (AmigaOS, MacOS, OSX, Windows,....) so maybe that's why i never felt bothered with having to read pages after pages of text just to get my mouse working, but average Joe wants to turn on the machine, plug in the CD & just click on afew buttons & that's it.

I was pleasantly supriced with ubuntu, it's a very clean distribution, the closest i've seen when it comes at being ready for the desktop, and the only thing standing in it's way are hardware incompabilities if you ask me, wich are mostly out of the distribution's grip (in my case, it's an incompability with my mobo with the linux kernel, no amount of fiddling seems to solve that one)

Beans

I would never buy a Lexmark product, because Lexmark is not very Linux-friendly. But what type of printer do you use, Dr E?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

- Hardware support, what's supported, what's not, there really should be a repository about this.
    There is a wiki on that I believe. There are sites that list Linux compatible hardware.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Amon_Re
    - Diversity (How does a newbie select wich distribution to use?)
    http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
    How do people select what university to attend, what kind of pizza to eat, or what MP3 player to buy? They read reviews, do research, and find out. Diversity and choice aren't bad things. Microsoft's just taught us they are.

- Multiple desktops (How does a newbie select wich desktop to use from the dosens out there?)
    Use the default--Gnome for Ubuntu, KDE for Kubuntu. Most distros default to KDE.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//HardwareSupport

- Arcane commands - A newbie user might have some familiarity with DOS or some other OS's that had a console, and suddenly he has to use cp instead of copy, mv instead of move, rm instead of del or delete....(*)
    Mepis, Linspire, PCLinuxOS... i.e., you don't need them.

average Joe wants to turn on the machine, plug in the CD & just click on afew buttons & that's it.
    Which won't happen with a Windows installation from scratch either, meaning that, by your criteria, Windows is also not "ready for the desktop."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ubuntu: not ready for prime time

Quote Originally Posted by fastluck
    A few days ago I installed a Logitech wireless mouse on both Windows and Ubuntu, on my Vaio laptop. It took me 3 hours to get it working right on Windows. I even had to uninstall and reinstall some drivers unrelated to the mouse, before I could get it to work after a reboot.
    I can't imagine what went wrong. I got mine Working under windows as quickly as I could install the driver. I don't own a Sony Vaio, or a notebook computer though (not that this should make any difference).

Linux on the other hand, is another matter. I've yet to get full functionality out of my MX1000.
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by alastair lewis
    Buy a Hewlet Packard. Their linux support is excellent. Just watch out for the libjpeg64-dev dependancy which was omitted from the installation HOWTO.
    He'd probably have to ask the boss to buy that printer...
    Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by simohell
    Well, I think it is true, that Windows sometimes doesn't work even after a good while of manual intervention.

And of course some Windows versions work better than others. Out of some 20+ desktops I installed Windows 98 in I never came across one that would shutdown properly without installing 1 or 2 patches from MS website.
    Who cares about Windows 98 in 2006? Any Windows user who's not running XP is asking for problems.

[.....]

Any of these might happend unless you get a well designed computer with a pre-installed Windows. And for these kind of computers it would be just as easy to pre-install linux and prepare a driver/installation/recovery CD that would just work. I might make something like that for my laptop...
    Not necessarily. Go buy a computer with two SATA hard drives configured in RAID0 with Windows preinstalled. It will work quite well. Now change Windows to Linux and see what happens....

Nobody I know would get into a car that relies on Windows to run. They know it would crash sooner or later.
    They would be equally stupid to get into a car that relies on Linux to run as it too, will crash sooner or later.

From a desktop standpoint, I've found Windows XP Professional (SP2) far more stable than Linux. Granted I'm running Ubuntu Dapper now, but that was only recent. Prior to a week ago, I'd been running Ubuntu Breezy for weeks and I'd often have lockups that would sometimes require my resorting to hitting the reset button to fix.

That almost never happens in Windows XP Professional.

Too many Linux people want to compare a current Linux distro to an old version of Windows. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm no "fan" of Microsoft. I like computers, period, regardless of OS. I do love Linux and the "freedom" aspect of it, but frankly with the exception of maybe Linspire, it's got a very long way to go before it will attact any kind of mass appeal.

Windows XP and Mac OS X "just work". Ubuntu? HA!

And let's not even talk about printing.....
    Scott

Beans

Microsoft drove me to Ubuntu six months ago. Here's why:
    1. Windows is expensive. I don't think the bang's worth the buck.
    2. MS movement toward resource disks. You spend $1600 on a notebook and you can't get a stinkin' Windows disk!
    3. Constant security updates. Maybe my imagination, but it always seems like performance takes a hit after every update.
    4. MS's morbid fear of piracy. My opinion - MS more worried about piracy than the soundness/security of their product.

I just got tired of it all. Hoary installed fine. I never could get any of the "free" winmodem approaches to work though so I finally broke down and bought the Linuxant fix ($14, I think). It's good to be Windows-free.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak
    There is a wiki on that I believe. There are sites that list Linux compatible hardware.
    There's info all over the place, sometimes it even conflicts with eachother.
    Clarity is what we should strife for, not having dosens of sites springing into existance. Besides, this is something the people over at LKML should be doing, or atleast assisting in.

Page 111 of 952 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211611 ... LastLast