Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Darsana FPS (Beautiful)

Hi Friends

I was browsing the internet, and found through Quakewiki available at:

http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/T...ts,%20by%20Tei

A new medieval FPS game called Darsana.

http://darsana-game.com/

It is based on The DarkPlaces engine (the same of the popular Nexuiz FPS).

That game is simply beautiful, and it could easily be ported to linux, because of its engine, so i write this thread for the two following reasons:

- If you are a programmer and are interesting in working in this project.
    - if you are interested like me to see a linux version of this great TC MOD

Then please contact the author using one of the following contacts:

Code:
    Chris ~ Coder & Leader

MSN: rampaging@ru1337.com

email: rampaging@ru1337.com
    The Ubuntu community can embrace such a wonderfully project, and contribute to it,  by experienced programmers to join and improve this game, and 

makkE ~ UV-mapper / Texture Artist
     aazumak ~ modeler
     MrTwister ~ modeler
    Cyph3r ~ modeler

To contact us more directly please visit the IRC channel at irc.gamesurge.net #ru1337

Coders and artist, must have the following knowledges:

Code:
    Currently looking for:

# Quake 3 Mapper
    # Animator (preferably someone familiar with Halflife1 / Halflife2 model formats)
    # Texture Artist / Menu / HUD designer
    # 3d Texture Artist (Working with player model, medieval prefabs, and weapon textures)
    Leave your thoughts here and please contribute on one of the previous ways to help growing this wonderful, and different project.
    Last edited by racoq; May 21st, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Darsana FPS (Beautiful)

Is the source code available?

Are there modifications to the source code specifically for Win32?

If not, can't it just be easily compiled for Linux, like DarkPlaces?
    ~Megatog615

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Megatog615 View Post
    Is the source code available?

Are there modifications to the source code specifically for Win32?

If not, can't it just be easily compiled for Linux, like DarkPlaces?
    I think that the source code is not available for now.

However we should also try to convince the author, to release the source code under GPL, in order to speedup the development process,

This game is quite recent and it already have great graphics. is there any coder here, that would like to work with the author?

If we could find here someone interested, that would be a first step to transform this one in a community project.

Beans

Um...

I thought dark places was based on the quake source code that IO software made open source? GPL is viral. If dark places is based on quake GPL, then dark places is also GPL. If darsana is using dark places as its base then darsana HAS to be GPL as well.

He has to make the code available when asked else he is violating the GPL. Whether he accepts your changes to the code is up to him, but thats why code forks happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've tried to request the source code on their forum, but it seems if you say "Darkplaces", it gets replaced by "Darkest of Dungeons." Are they trying to hide it?
    ~Megatog615

Beans

Erm, what exactly did you mean by "beautiful"? I'm guessing you mean the gameplay as the textures look awful and the environment looks like it's got a very low poly count. Is the game-play really much different from every other Quake/Doom engine clone game that's out?

Also, I think this http://ru1337.com/darsana//forum/viewtopic.php?t=144 proves that they aren't a good crowed to be in with anyway. Cut your losses and leave, heh.
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Megatog615 View Post
    I've tried to request the source code on their forum, but it seems if you say "Darkplaces", it gets replaced by "Darkest of Dungeons." Are they trying to hide it?
    I think that you guys are taking a wrong approach. You cant just say to the author, "Give me the source code, or else...", that can anger the developer (and it is no very polite), there are better ways to say things:

See my reply at your Thread:

http://ru1337.com/darsana/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1043
    Last edited by racoq; May 21st, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well it's the fact that he has refused to release the source code.
    ~Megatog615

Beans

I refused to give it to one specific person who I found to be rude and ignorant of what it was he even wanted from me. The Darkplaces engine goes largely unedited in Darsana's release and is simply used for some of it's extensions and better networking compared to the myriad of other Quake based engines. So if you really wanted the GPL source code you're looking for its already freely available to you on the Darkplaces website. You've taken my intentions out of context.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
    I refused to give it to one specific person who I found to be rude and ignorant of what it was he even wanted from me. The Darkplaces engine goes largely unedited in Darsana's release and is simply used for some of it's extensions and better networking compared to the myriad of other Quake based engines. So if you really wanted the GPL source code you're looking for its already freely available to you on the Darkplaces website. You've taken my intentions out of context.
    Hi Chris

First of all thanks for taking my challenge and post here your opinion.

Has i have stated before, i agree with you, when someone ask for something, it as to:

- have good intentions
    - be polite

I admired the work you have done, as a one man army coder. Really like the graphics and the gameplay in Darsana.

However i ask you, wouldn't it help if you released the code in order to the community help you the development? Of course you would always have the final word, of which code to be accepted and implemented in Darsana.

I only think that the quality of darsana, would make it an innovation in open source FPS, i don't know any open source medieval FPS.

You could be the first one in the open source industry to come up with this new concept.

So as i have done previously, and with all the respect for you, will you consider releasing the source code in the near future?

Will the Ubuntu community, and linux in general, will expect a linux port in the near future?

Just remember if you say yes to the questions, that i think you will find here very bright people like coders, and map artists, that are eager to help you.

See the following game that has born here in these forums.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427011

Oh and by the way i do think that you are a fair man.

Best regards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast