Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Starcraft2 likely to work with wine !

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Starcraft2 likely to work with wine !

Here's another thing that actually should be done. Please note that I don't care for StarCraft either way, but I think the more native commercial Linux games, the better.

Forget about getting the Petition to Blizzard. We need to send it to Vivendi Universal who is the publisher for Blizzard's software.

After the fiasco of Cold War, everyone should realize that it's the publisher that determines what platforms the game is released for. If there were enough people signing a petition and writing letters to VU, then I bet they would make a deal with Blizzard to release StarCraft 2 for Linux natively. It couldn't be all that much more work porting from current Mac OS X to Linux (or even the BSDs for that matter.)

Just a thought.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    Here's another thing that actually should be done. Please note that I don't care for StarCraft either way, but I think the more native commercial Linux games, the better.

Forget about getting the Petition to Blizzard. We need to send it to Vivendi Universal who is the publisher for Blizzard's software.

After the fiasco of Cold War, everyone should realize that it's the publisher that determines what platforms the game is released for. If there were enough people signing a petition and writing letters to VU, then I bet they would make a deal with Blizzard to release StarCraft 2 for Linux natively. It couldn't be all that much more work porting from current Mac OS X to Linux (or even the BSDs for that matter.)

Just a thought.

Leech
    Great idea, I'll email them, I encourage everyone else to as well. heres an email address to contact them on: feedback_fr@vivendi.com
    Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
    Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

yes i would welcome a linux version of starcraft nothing against wine , it works but its a crutch that companies can rely on when dealing with linux and not releasing linux versions of their software.
    They just rely on the wine developers to do the work for them then sometimes in their FAQs they will list wine as a way to run their games/apps (also forget about support from them if you run into to problems)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    I don't remember seeing an OpenGL mode for Diablo, Diablo 2 or Starcraft....
    Ok so I was a bit hasty
    here from the faq:
    Code:
    As with all of Blizzard's recent releases, StarCraft II will ship on both PC and Mac simultaneously.
    But yes all of the games you listed could be played using a mac. And as far as I know directX don't work under macos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eyelessfade View Post
    Ok so I was a bit hasty
    here from the faq:
    Code:
    As with all of Blizzard's recent releases, StarCraft II will ship on both PC and Mac simultaneously.
    But yes all of the games you listed could be played using a mac. And as far as I know directX don't work under macos.
    That doesn't mean that the Windows versions have OpenGL available though. Again I'll refer to what I said before.
    Wine FAQ and Newbie Guide - http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    Please read This Page on how to install Wine.

RetroTracks.net - Classic Game Music Tracks

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

1.000 in three days. That makes about 10.000 in one month, if it keeps on going the same way. I think we should wait till it has reached at least 10.000. When a third of these people would buy and blizz earnes 20 bucks/game, they have a profit of rougly 66.000 Dollars. Should be enough to pay two or three programmers for two or three months. Or am I totally mistaken?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm shocked that it's gotten so many signatures, in just three days.
    And yes, I think emailing both Blizzard and Vivendi would be terrific.
    I ought to collect all the emails of the guys who signed it, and send them a message asking them to do so....
    all in good time. Perhaps I'll wait a month.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i think emailing directly would be a better option than a petition; big companies tend to respond more to direct commmunication than to web-based petitions.

I'd go as far as saying we should phone them with our opinion. Someone please get a number (US and/or International), i'm a bit busy right now.
    Trial and error are your best teachers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I say old-school letters are the way to go (although i also signed the petition). Everyone get out some paper and some envelopes and write to:

VIVENDI GAMES
    6060 Center Drive
    5th Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
    USA
    Tel. : +1 310 431 4000

and

Blizzard Entertainment
    P.O. Box 18979
    Irvine, CA 92623

Actual letters get an actual reply, so somebody has to be reading them.
    Call me oldschool, but just open up a terminal and use vim already!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hope your right I signed linux petition too
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast