Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem

Hey Guys!

Another one from Portugal here.

I'm posting in this thread because in the past I did a lot of search to put my speedtouch modem running in a light Linux Distro that I had. Unfortunatelly I was unsuccessful.

Now, i'm about to put ubuntu on my system and I have already read a lot of tuturials. By your answers I think the best one for me to look in first is this:

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/Spe...ntu/index.html

But in a specific step it ask us for our login and ISP password to put in a file (chap-secrets I think), and the problem is that I was wondering if this is a secure method?

Can anyone claryfy me? For the Portugal ones, my ISP is SAPO ADSL.

Thanks a lot. and....sorry my english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Red face Re: HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem

Quote Originally Posted by genbie
    How do I manually disconnect/connect? This is useful if I want to reconnect after my connection is terminated by the ISP for example. Issuing "pppd call speedtouch" did not work
    I also have a problem with this... how can I reconnect after disconnection? is there any way to autoconnect after disconnection. I've just successfuly installed Ubuntu and configured my ADSL so i havn't encountered any disconnections yet.

note: a total linux newbie here
    Watashi wa ShuShine desu.
    Registered Linux: User#402054

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyvergara.NET
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genbie
    How do I manually disconnect/connect? This is useful if I want to reconnect after my connection is terminated by the ISP for example. Issuing "pppd call speedtouch" did not work

I also have a problem with this... how can I reconnect after disconnection? is there any way to autoconnect after disconnection. I've just successfuly installed Ubuntu and configured my ADSL so i havn't encountered any disconnections yet.

note: a total linux newbie here
    Following the naming in the guide, you would call "pppd call adslscript" to reconnect. Alternatively you can just unplug the modem from your computer, wait a couple of seconds, then plug it back in again. The latter assumes you installed the speedtch hotplug script as per the guide. I have found no way to auto-connect on disconnection, but then I haven't tried very hard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'd just like to add that this howto is spectacular - I use PPP over ATM using UK based ISP Pipex. It worked 1st time absolutely no worries!

-Gallows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hehehe... I don't need the how to reconnect anymore, i just noticed that the Internet connection reconnects it self. but i noticed that when i resume my pc at suspended mode, the connection has been disconnected, because my gaim IM accounts has been disconnected, and my downloads are in 0kbps.
    Last edited by jeffreyvergara.NET; September 20th, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
    Watashi wa ShuShine desu.
    Registered Linux: User#402054

Beans

I'm (trying) to set up a friend with Ubuntu, the only obstacle being the damn SpeedTouch modem. She – sadly – is inside Kingston Communications' sphere of influence. I found the settings on the KC website. I changed the VP/VC pair to 1.50, but nothing happens after the modem syncs. I suspect it may have something to do with this bit:

Encapulation: RFC2364 PPPoATM (LLC)
    Which I think means that it uses LLC encapulation, which – I think – isn't standard in the UK. Am I right? If so, how would I go about setting it to use LLC?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Beans

Hello!

I tried to configure my modem, using this HOWTO and linux-usb.org HOWTO, but it didn't work. However, when I look in the log I can see:

Code:
    Oct  9 01:07:34 ubuntu kernel: [4295853.102000] ADSL line is synchronising
    Oct  9 01:07:49 ubuntu kernel: [4295868.102000] ADSL line is up (384 Kib/s down | 96 Kib/s up)
    I try to open some website in mozilla, but it can't be done. I used script from this HOWTO and tried typing in pppd call, but none of these work. While using pppd call I can see in the log, that chap-secrets work fine, dns servers are found, but still, I cannot connect with any website (and there are no othere messages in the log). Cany anyone help me?

Beans

Thanks for the great howto, i've tried others but none of them would work for me! now I can begin exploring Ubuntu's apt-get feature!!!

Beans

hopefully someone can help with this!

when i reboot i find it hasn't connected to the net and i have found if I
    Code:
    sudo modprobe pppoatm
    It can then connect when i call the adslscript, whereas before it wouldn't!

Am i just being impatient or is something up?

Oh I've checked /etc/modules and pppoatm is there, should it be further up the list as opposed to at the end?

Beans

Scrap that i was just being impatient!!!

sorry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast