wired blogger critical of Firefox

People may find this an interesting read

http://www.wired.com/software/coolap.../firefox_bloat

My first non-support related post... aah, ain't he cute

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: wired blogger critical of Firefox

I'm really getting tired of this. Firefox runs fine for me, and if one considers having an inline spell checkerr and tab states 'bloated', then perhaps they should look into Lynx. Honestly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Hmm. I thought it was a pretty interesting article, actually. Seems like they're saying extensions and the current demands of webpages (AJAX, Flash, DHTML) are more to blame than Firefox. Besides, I have problems with Firefox sometimes. Loading http://www.ubuntuforums.org, for example, tends to freeze up the entire browser for 5 seconds or so. Doesn't mean Firefox isn't still the best browser out there, just means it's not perfect (which it's not).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

firefox and two plugins make firefox run fast for me.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgnash View Post
    I'm really getting tired of this. Firefox runs fine for me, and if one considers having an inline spell checkerr and tab states 'bloated', then perhaps they should look into Lynx. Honestly
    The complaint is not extra features, but the increasing resource usage. Firefox is fast becoming unusable on older computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

isnt firefox 3 going to address all of the extra resource usage?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bah, I agree with mrgnash. I don't see any truth to what was said in the article. I have been using firefox since just after 1.5 was released, on both windows and now the linux platform. I can say that I am very happy with my browsing experience, and I've felt no significant slow downs. In fact, I run with a tonne of custom extensions which I use almost daily they vary from download statusbar, to no scirpt, I've got more than 20 and I am overjoyed to be able to drop them in and out without any regard.

As for the articles claims of an angry undercurrent of firefox users coming up, I haven't seen it... all of my friends who have even half an inkling about tech use firefox and I've never heard one complaint out of them, they love being able to choose any theme they like, any extension they need.

So anyway, I will continue to use firefox because it satisfies all my needs and I haven't seen any slow down.

Note to dirt dawg: no browser is perfect, I don't know why you freeze/slow down on the forums, I get no difference from any other page I browse.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; May 18th, 2007 at 01:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16 View Post
    The complaint is not extra features, but the increasing resource usage. Firefox is fast becoming unusable on older computers.
    Maybe it's time to upgrade those Amstrad CPCs then. Like Starcraft.Man, I'm running a tonne of extensions (not quite 20 though ) and slowdown is not an issue... infrequent crashes with flash/streaming content.. I've got a few of those with Firefox 2; but I don't get that with FF3 DPA4.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Hmm. I thought it was a pretty interesting article, actually. Seems like they're saying extensions and the current demands of webpages (AJAX, Flash, DHTML) are more to blame than Firefox. Besides, I have problems with Firefox sometimes. Loading http://www.ubuntuforums.org, for example, tends to freeze up the entire browser for 5 seconds or so. Doesn't mean Firefox isn't still the best browser out there, just means it's not perfect (which it's not).
    multithreaded something or other, from the guy who created Javascript...I find Opera is better at this, especially on low end PCs. However, it is non-free and not as extensible so you take the problems that incurs. Opera also has issues with Flash 9-- or it is blamed on Flash-- and can't load the Totem video plugin.

I know the people who ported Firefox to Haiku and BeOS did help out with some of these issues though.

I have to admit, on a Pentium 3, 384MB of RAM and with the amount of tabs I use, Firefox is unusable on both Windows and Linux. Opera is very fast on Windows, yet slower than Firefox in Linux. Hmm.

I also happen think Firefox 2 is a much better product than even Firefox 1. Perhaps only Phoenix 0.3 was faster, but then you have to deal with missing and buggy features.
    Last edited by jiminycricket; May 18th, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Been reading up on ajax recently, i have to agree, firefox only seems to slow down with forums and heavy ajax based sites. The constant hammering of the databases with redundant queries blended and the overhead bandwidth between browser and server as well as doses of javascript doesn't help. I've experimented with vbulletin, just turning off the ajax feature greatly improved performance dramatically. Maybe the admin should consider doing this. You can of course just disable javascript on the client side for the same effect.

I've notice that heavily used forums seem to suffer from downtime. In my personal opinion ajax is the new flash, another fashionable corporate trend.
    If you're not paranoid, you're not paying enough attention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast