Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry linux gamer

Beans

Angry linux gamer

Ok, here's my problem. Nearly every free game I have tried for linux. I know that most people are extremely satisfied with what linux has to offer game wise, but im not. I've had nothing but headaches from my entire gaming experience. I cant seem to find a 3d MMORPG that actually works. Regnum crashes as soon as I pick character and click play, Planeshift doesnt work period, and Eternal lands isn't really impressive. I HAVE found some decent TBS/RTS games however, but thats not really my style. I have found some good FPS/TPS games (Ut2k4-not free, but meh-, Savage, AssaultCube, Sauerbraeten-when it works. I have used wine (a lot) and its not really worth it. I mean sure some games like starcraft, Diablo series, etc. Are fun to run because they have little or no problems. When A game just plain works, its nice, but those games are kind of dated. My main complaint here is (and I know its kind of silly but im dirt poor) there really isn't a really bleeding edge free MMO, RTS/TBS, FPS/TPS game for linux. I understand that since the games are free that people have to take time out of their lives with no pay and develop these and that it takes a hell of a long time, and I respect that, but a lot of the games out there just aren't good enough for me. Im not a huge gamer (on linux or windows for that matter) but im just not satisfied. So, please try to point me in the right direction or give me some GOOD suggestions, nothing like 'TRY NEXIUZ@#!@#@ ITS THE BEST EVER#@$#!@#@'. Please, be specific and tell me EXACTLY what I should/need to know about the linux game in question.
    Last edited by ketzerei; August 22nd, 2007 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Angry linux gamer

Have you tried looking around one of the many Linux gaming sites for suggestions?
    http://gaming.gwos.org/
    http://www.linux-gamers.net/
    http://linux.strangegamer.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
    http://happypenguin.org/

It might be easier for you to find a game you want to try/like then come here and ask for help with installing/running it.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Linux doesn't have any " bleeding edge" games because most of them are basement jobs done by hacking at the Quake 3 engine. They do a great job but you're pretty much stuck with these servings until more commercial games come out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmat View Post
    Linux doesn't have any " bleeding edge" games because most of them are basement jobs done by hacking at the Quake 3 engine. They do a great job but you're pretty much stuck with these servings until more commercial games come out.
    Then what would it take to get developers to see that they're loosing players who are on/switching to linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They don't care. Since the Linux community is so small, they aren't really losing any money by not developing for Linux. When/if the Linux community get quite a bit larger, then they might begin to look at Linux as a viable platform to develop games for. Until that happens, you either have to make do with what is available, use Wine or only buy from developers who do support Linux, like Id.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

yea and id soft looks like they have some pretty good games coming out although most are fps

check out the id soft website

http://www.idsoftware.com/

im not sure wich ones have linux support but i know doom 3 and enemy territory quake wars are supported
    intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
    1 gig ram
    250 gig hard drive
    evga Geforce 8600 ssc 256mb over clocked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ketzerei View Post
    My main complaint here is (and I know its kind of silly but im dirt poor) there really isn't a really bleeding edge free MMO, RTS/TBS, FPS/TPS game for linux.
    Supporting game development does not necessarily mean you contribute money. In fact, money is not very important for a Free project, unless there is a continuous stream of it. What GNU gaming lacks is developer time (by developer here I mean programmer, artist, musician, etc).

My point is, you can contribute in an extremely useful way by devoting some time every day to drawing a picture for a Free game. In my experience, any person can learn to do graphic manipulations with the GIMP / Inkscape / Blender (unless they are of the whiny "It does not look like Photoshop / 3DS!" type), and art is probably the sorest spot of Free games because of the natural tendencies of programmers to do what they like - program.

From what I understand of your post, you also think that the art of Free games should be improved (in fact there are hundreds of wonderful MMOGs out there without any art - they are called MUDs). So here is a plan for you: find a Free game that you like, and you think has a huge potential. Find out who is developing it, and offer your help in terms of whatever you can do. If the person is any good, he will be glad to accept your help. And if you (and the person) are serious, in a year you might have a MMOG that looks "bleeding edge." All it takes is consistency.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

As for the games crashing or not working, you really need a decent video card with the proper drivers installed as well as an ok processor to get anywhere with most Linux games.

A 1ghz celeron/integrated Intel video chipset like most user who have trouble are using just don't cut it for gaming under Linux sadly.

What type of hardware are you using out of curiousity?

Beans

I'm curious as to why Planeshift didn't work for you; have you tried to get help on the #planeshift or #planeshift-build channels on freenode? Or do you mean that the game is too incomplete to be fun?

Beans

First, just let me point something out. This is why I absolutely love Ubuntu. The community.

Secondly, here's my hardware specs:
    AMD Sempron 3500+ (1.8-1.9 ghz)
    ATI Radeon x1600 pro PCI Express (I want an nvidia because the drivers blow)
    Generic 350 Watt powersupply
    Cooler Master Centurion Case
    Seagate 80gb sata hard drive
    MSI k9n neo mother board
    1 dvd burner drive
    512 mb ram DDR2

As you can see, its not too shabby for 600 bucks.

Third and finally, Planeshift just breaks. Any configurations I make to it dont apply the next time I run, It wont connect to the master server even when my firewall is turned off, and ive downloaded and reinstalled the game like 3 times and it still doesnt work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast