Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How many of my Steam games will run through WINE?

Ok, I finally got HL to work. I actually have no idea what I did....

But I'm still unable to change the resolution though. I've already tried changing it through the launch options, but it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is going to the .cfg file to change it. But I don't know the directory that WINE saves it to. Can anyone tell me that?

I'm dowloading HL2 now, I'll post the results once it's done.

Beans

In theory half life, half life2, CS 1.6, CS source should work pretty close to perfectly.

For me they work perfectly most of the time. Including resolution changing although I don't test that much since I usually play at 1280 * 1024.

HL episode one works fine just like HL2 but HDR(which makes the game look REALLY shiny) has some glitches. If I enable it the lightning is usually too dark and it seems to periodically get brighter and darker sometimes, like a cloud moves pas the sun.

Still I played the entire first two chapters with HDR enabled, I started suspecting the game was too dark in the third chapter were I almost constantly had to use my flashlight.
    So in HDR makes the game still look very nice but has some glitches which eventually made me turn it off.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    If I enable it the lightning is usually too dark and it seems to periodically get brighter and darker sometimes, like a cloud moves pas the sun.
    Well, that's what HDR does.

It's supposed to simulate how your eyes would normally adjust to change in how bright things are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, I downloaded HL2 and tried it out.

First impressions: meh.

Well, first, it tried to give me a widescreen resolution becuase i'm running dual monitors. I tried out a few things, but in the end, I had to just turn off one of the monitors in my settings.
    When I finally DID get it to run at a normal (4:3 AR) resolution, the highest it would let me go is 1152X864. I suppose this is ok... At the resolution, on all full settings, I was getting 25-70 FPS. I was really hoping to get more with my 8800 GTS...
    Another thing is that the intro vid is all messed up, like it runs really slow. I mean REALLY slow, it takes about 2 minutes for it to play.
    And the last thing is, when I tried to close the game the whole computer froze, and I couldn't even alt+ctrl+backspace out of it. I had to do a hard reboot.

Beans

you have have aa or ansitropic filtering on (or hdr) turn it off and you should get much better frame rates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yeah, I know that, I'm just dissapointed that WINE doesn't get more out of my card, becuase I know my card is really good.

I tried it again, this time it didn't freeze when I shut it down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Joe View Post
    Well, that's what HDR does.

It's supposed to simulate how your eyes would normally adjust to change in how bright things are.
    Yeah I know what HDR does but I compared it too screenshots of HL2 epp 1 running in windows. And the brightness changes are very large ranging from almost complete darkness to overbright and also just when looking steadily at a light source it seems like someone is turning a dimmer.

Intro video plays sometimes very slow and sometimes at full speed for me (I use to tinker my settings a lot and upgrade as soon as a new update is available so it might be related to that). Just add -novid to launch options.
    About your fps, I feel your pain but 25 fps is about all your eyes can see so that shouldn't matter too much.
    Last edited by bastiegast; May 15th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Tried Lost Coast.

It didn't go all that well. There was no HDR option(the menu was greyed-out), the reflections were all goofed up. The water wasn't 'rippling', it was just a reflection 'map' that was slowly moving in one direction. There was no walkbob, and it froze up when I tried to quit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, I have a stupid question about WINE:

How do I install separate apps through wine? For example, if I were to install another game, would I just put the CD in and then say 'wine /media/cdrom0/install.exe'? Or do I have to make a separate install for every app? Becuase I tried to install WC3 and it went really badly...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Joe View Post
    Tried Lost Coast.

It didn't go all that well. There was no HDR option(the menu was greyed-out), the reflections were all goofed up. The water wasn't 'rippling', it was just a reflection 'map' that was slowly moving in one direction. There was no walkbob, and it froze up when I tried to quit.
    That shouldn't happen and makes me wonder if you even have the latest wine version which is 0.9.37 (issue wine --version).

If you have the latest version and the problems are still there, type regedit in a command line, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D and add a new string value: UseGLSL and give it the value "enabled"*(you need to add the key Direct3D if it's not there already). See if that helps.

Also are you using an ATI card? If so that might be the source of your problems, I have no experience with ATI cards in linux but I hear lots of people are having problems with them.
    - Jeremy Allison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast